YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drinking tea
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-07 5:38 AM (#26863 - in reply to #26837)
Subject: RE: Drinking tea

Given that the area I live in has folk from so many different ethnic backrounds that the bus-stop looks like a quilt sewn by a colour blind mad-woman in the mornings, I think you'd be in good company

Fee

zoebird - 2005-07-07 2:04 AM

fee:

well, i don't think they'd take us. best we could do is get a few-month working visa. then, we'd be 'dirty illegals' (it's what the landscaping workers are called by our neighborhood).

would you mind housing a couple of 'dirty illegals?' remember, we garden, do yoga, and we like to be nude.

cyndi:

LOL!

that is a wonder of living in an area that's not a 'neighborhood' or planned community. I could live and die by a shaktiyoni and a shivalingam. i have huge paintings in one area of my house depicting them. Luckily, no body knows that's what those are.

some day. . .i'll live somewhere else. hopefully, it'll be cool.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-07 5:39 AM (#26864 - in reply to #26714)
Subject: RE: keeping bees

Love it! Fancy doing a make-over in the UK ?

Fee

Cyndi - 2005-07-05 2:54 PM

Wait till' your neighbors get a load of my place,

3 years ago I painted my house bright yellow and the roof red. Then I hung Tibetan Prayer flags all around it. (My neighbor commented about how it looked like his ole' barbeque joint - he can't see what the flags actually look like). My Stepfather begged and pleaded with me to take them down, he was afraid that the local white supremist group would burn the house down while was travelling...heehee funny!!

Needless to say I just re-painted my house white with a green roof top. I still have my gigantic Tibetan Flag (the one with the snow lions) hanging on the inner wall of my extended front porch, with the prayer flags extended from the house connecting to the trees. I have a water garden area with a pond, where the bees are, Om's and all, My husband wants to construct a Shivalingam in the pond so he can do puja. I want to construct a Navagraha (9 planet) to do the same. Fortunately, I live in the mountains where anything goes. These people drink so much moonshine that they barely notice things. In fact, everywhere in this area you see strange and unusual things...so it doesn't matter, we blend right in. Did I also mention that I'm right smack in the middle of a bible belt??? These are the moonshine drinking ones though. Did I tell you about Ernest T. Bass?? He lives down the road from me. Rides his 4-wheeler everywhere with his six-pack hanging on the front end and his dog either in his lap, or running along side of him. Say's he's rolled that 4-wheeler over a dozen times cause' he was so drunk...but he don't care - that's the best part, he keeps bees too. This guy told me once he scalped my other crazy neighbor's head and sent him to the hospital...the judge threw the case out of court because they both are just plain crazy and were drinking together!!! and they are still drinking buddy's!! That is why I have a Rottweiler and my Stepfather made me promise to keep his gun if I stay up here. I live in the middle of them and I told them not to get my house confused with each other....of course, we are all 3 miles apart. So, you think you got neighbor problems,
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-07 5:48 AM (#26865 - in reply to #18217)

That's a great idea.... we'll all visit for a month. Your neighbours'll be so relieved we've gone, you'll not hear a peep out of them for months and any future argument'll soon be sorted by saying "I agree. I'll just call my mates and they'll help me sort it out".

Thanks to the council re-zoning the area next to my old home from small scale commercial (think ethnic cloths shops, hand-made furniture etc) to large, and I mean huge, chain pubs of the most boring and loud kind, we went from being a pretty town square to suffering the following. Perhaps you should stick a large version of this mail on your gate or something in order to remind your neighbours that there are better things to worry about:

Folk peeing everywhere, including on my doorstep (one 'lady' even dropped her drawers in front of a restaurant full of people dining).
Folk defecating on the stairs to my flat.
Folk fornicating nude on the landings.
Folk chucking stuff, breaking glass, vandalising property.
Folk having stand up knife fights in the street.

I felt like the police were employing me as a professional witness by the time I sold the apartment to a property developer for a deliciously obscene amount of money (not 'yogic' I know, but I felt I'd earned it after 5 years of negotiations).

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-07-07 5:50 AM

Posted 2005-07-07 7:52 AM (#26868 - in reply to #18217)

Fee:

there's nothing unyogic about good business or an obscene amount of money. but then, where are we supposed to flop now? LOL!

Namaste:

i don't live in the UK. I live in PA, USA--a surprisingly racist, classist, sexist, and oddly religious area.

i've only been to europe once--Denmark--and loved it so much, i wept when we left. I'd never experienced a place of so much peace.

To give an example, many danes told me that there is tension between 'traditional' danes and the new sudanese immigrants. the immigrants are not interested in assimilating into danish culture--but rather want to retain their culture in DK. To the danes, who are fiercely proud of their culture, this doesn't make sense--why immigrate to DK if you don't want to be danish?

Yet, even with this tension, there is still a great deal of peace between the two peoples. While there, we say a rather nutsy man picking on a small clutch of sudanese women (in black, muslim dress). We were sitting at a cafe. Ryan and I--always ready to step up to help someone, were about to get up when a group of young danish men, who had just been speaking to us about this tension said "excuse us" and got up and told the man to back off. Two of them then walked the ladies down the street to their waiting husband and explained the problem to them.

So here were people 'complaining' about the 'problem of the sudanese' but still defending them. Here, the 'problem of the illegal mexican immigrants' is met with a great deal of fear and loathing. On hot summer days, i make a lot of lemon and lime aid to give to the men who are working--my neighbors think it's terrible. Some of the men in our neighborhood started to yell at workers for kindly saying "hello" to neighborhood women while they were working. Ryan and I had to put a stop to that--it just wasn't right.

it's amazing how things are handled so differently. I work as literacy support for a non-profit organization where many migrant workers live. We teach spanish literacy, english as a second language, english literacy (for those who speak it, but can't read/write and as support to the ESL), workers rights and labor organization, as well as health-care rights (mushroom farming involves lots of pesticides; many of these workers don't have health insurance from employers; many are sick from the poison). Currently, i'm working on starting a specialized english-spanish yoga class too.

people don't get why i'm dong this for 'dirty illegals.' i'm really upset about that. racism, classism, sexism--these things really get under my skin. sometimes, i'm embarassed for/by my countrymen.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-07 8:04 AM (#26871 - in reply to #26868)

I bought a 3-bedroom Victorian Terrace house with most of the money so there's more room to flop now

I've not met any Danish, but the Dutch I've met were amongst the kindest, most chilled out folk I've ever met. Does it surprise me you can buy pot legally in Holland? No !

We have multi-cultural issues here too. Many folk don't recognise/understand the difference between immigrants, asylum seekers, and illegals. A lot of tension is caused where an ethnic group has chosen, as you say, to remain apart and not integrate. I can understand how first generation immigrants may not develop skills in English, but it upsets me somewhat when even third generation can't speak the language. If I went to live elsewhere I'd expect to have to learn the local language and to abide by their laws and not to expect it to be 'home from home'.

Fee

Posted 2005-07-07 8:27 AM (#26873 - in reply to #26868)

What a great read to laugh to!

Cyndi- thanks for the advice for feeding my wild friends with the deer lick and deer chow. You're the best!
Fee- thought I was going to wet my pants laughing so hard! People doing their business in public where they like sounds similar to when I lived in Boston. Saw a little boy pee in the street and had to pull my jaw off of the ground. Never had seen that before. Girl- you have a way with words.
Ya'll keep me in stitches!

Zoe- everybody here and I know Cyndi would agree, that the South is the worst for racism. Buzzz, wrong answer. The North is the worst in my opinion. Everyone still thinks of the Civil War, North and the South, but the racism is still very strong up North.

The workers on my hut are illegals and are known as wet backs-due to crossing the Rio Grande. I hate that name. I try my hardest to speak Spanish to them- so of them speak some English. Our tilers did such a great job on the house that I spoke with them for awhile in broken Spanish, I went back and bought them a cooler of beer to show my appreciation for talking with me and for a job well done. They loved it-it was towards the end of the day!

Been to Denmark and have Dane blood. Love the Danes. The Europeans, on average, show no racism. As a military wife living overseas, we were told we were ambassadors of our country. I was highly embarassed at some of our countrymen acting like jerks, thinking they were more superior to everyone else---asking a German "Sprechen Sie Ingles?" Can't spell German anymore so forgive me. I hear you on all accounts. To bad I don't look like a typical Dane, I look like a Copenhagener--a mixer of everything!!

Posted 2005-07-07 8:30 AM (#26874 - in reply to #26871)

Hey Fee- Sorry about the explosions in London today. I am keeping abrest of that this AM Thanks goodness you are away from all of that.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-07 9:19 AM (#26877 - in reply to #26873)

The boys peeing near my falt weren't so little, Namaste

Re London.... I guess they felt that with all our security in Scotland guarding the G8 attendees, now was a good time to cause mayhem. Obviously Al Q ain't into resolving world poverty either.

Still, London's been bombed before and if they think it's going to change a single thing about the way any Brit goes about his or her own life, they're going to learn the same thing as the IRA - we ain't for turning.

I live about 30 mintues train journey west of London. My mother was meant to be travelling to Bath today (further west still). That line hasn't been bombed, but the trains are still in chaos (no change there, Ed!). We think the authorities have grabbed travel slots as she saw a cargo of blood plasma being loaded.

Fee

Posted 2005-07-07 3:42 PM (#26897 - in reply to #18217)

namaste:

i've lived in So. California, Arkansas, and Pennsylvania. PA is the most racist, classist, and sexist. CA actually comes in second! AR was better than both of these. I find southerners to be very respectful people. are there race problems? yes.

largest KKK in the USA? PA!

Fee:

glad you're safe!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-08 4:48 AM (#26914 - in reply to #26897)

Thanks

Many years ago, I worked in London. One day I took an earlier train in, one that was running late. Had I been on my usual service, I would have been walking across Paddington Station concourse when the IRA nail bomb went off. Did I stay a work-a-holic after that? No! It makes you take a long hard look at your life. After that (if you're a Brit ;-) ) you say 'stuff it' and 'F**k them' and go about the business of living free. Watch the news today.... we're just about back to 'normal' already.

Fee

Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-08 5:09 AM (#26917 - in reply to #26873)

Tell me about it! when I see the 'Brit abroad' shouting in English to make a Spaniard understand on the Costas or watch them fighting after a football match, it makes me want to die of shame. When I go on holiday, I like to go 'native' and at least try to get a few phrases in the local lingo.

Fee

namaste2 - 2005-07-07 1:27 PM

I was highly embarassed at some of our countrymen acting like jerks, thinking they were more superior to everyone else---asking a German "Sprechen Sie Ingles?" Can't spell German anymore so forgive me. I hear you on all accounts. To bad I don't look like a typical Dane, I look like a Copenhagener--a mixer of everything!!

Posted 2005-07-08 7:49 AM (#26924 - in reply to #26917)

It is fun going "native" and I highly recommend it! I did it even in London and had a blast! I spoke with a Beefeater at "The Tower" and he razed me up and down. I asked questions about the ravens and what they ate and he told me that they fed them raw meat! He was a hoot! He loved teasing a Yank! Love the Brits and the way they talk!

It is a shame that fundamentalists take out their hatred on innocent people using "barbaric methods" as described by PM Blair. So sad . It is ironic how the GB and the US are united now and were not over 200 years ago. Thanks God we live in a free society and I agree that work is not everything. I wish I could convince my boss of that.

I am tired of working 11-12 hour days and trying to re-coop over the weekend. I teach yoga once a week and struggle with my schedule to get done with patients in time to drive 30 minutes to teach. My class makes my week! You have the right attitude, Fee, and I am working on mine.

One of these days, I will be able to run naked around the house, pee on the front porch in broad daylight and have myself committed to be ME!

Posted 2005-07-08 8:03 AM (#26926 - in reply to #26897)

Zoe-

Girl- I know about the CA thing. No offense to anyone in CA, OK? My mom lives in San Carlos, in N. CA.

When I was a flight attendant, I dreaded the flights to CA. Burbank and LA were the worst. I have been cussed out in LA and "me-me, I-Ied" in Burbank. The flight from Burbank to PHX is abaout 50-60 minutes, so not a lot of flying time. I had about 50 people to serve, the old fashioned way, no cart. Just tell me what you want.

Get this: I would like mineral water with 3 cubes of ice, a splash of cranapple juice and a twist of lime after I have a glass of H2O. What do I look like? Can you tell what I was thinking? How in the H$$L ......go figure. I make more money with little sharp things in my hands heading towards your big mouth!! haha

That is how I get respect nowdays, hee hee
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-08 8:09 AM (#26928 - in reply to #26926)

I thought situations like that were what 'turbulence' was for.... dropping hot coffee in laps etc *WG*?

Ohhhh, I'm soooooooooooo baaad *g*

Ref the Beefeater.... I'm surprised he didn't also tell you that the meat the ravens are fed is US tourists who ask dopey questions *ggggggggggg*

Just kiddin' honest!

Fee

Posted 2005-07-08 8:21 AM (#26932 - in reply to #26928)

Fee- I did ask the dopey question of what ER stood for on his back. The Beefeater did tell me the truth there, but I had to guess at it a few times. How embarassing! I have done lots of reading on the Tudors and should have known lots more than I did. Now I am prepared next time I go!

Re: turbulence. I did spill some, but yoga helped with the balance..too bad. Now the revenge I loved to do. CROP DUST. Girl, if someone gave me the I ate peanuts and raisins, let them ferment, and blew dirt up and down the aisle, thus crop dusting. Ask any flight attendant in the US of course. Don't know about you Brits. May not be up your alley, haha

Love to raze ya!
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-08 8:26 AM (#26933 - in reply to #26932)

Love it *s* You get some strange looks from tourists when you ask them if they're going to go have tea with 'ER up at the palace *ggg*

Fee

namaste2 - 2005-07-08 1:21 PM

Fee- I did ask the dopey question of what ER stood for on his back. The Beefeater did tell me the truth there, but I had to guess at it a few times. How embarassing! I have done lots of reading on the Tudors and should have known lots more than I did. Now I am prepared next time I go!

Re: turbulence. I did spill some, but yoga helped with the balance..too bad. Now the revenge I loved to do. CROP DUST. Girl, if someone gave me the I ate peanuts and raisins, let them ferment, and blew dirt up and down the aisle, thus crop dusting. Ask any flight attendant in the US of course. Don't know about you Brits. May not be up your alley, haha

Love to raze ya!

Posted 2005-07-08 8:34 AM (#26935 - in reply to #26933)

Fee- if you asked the AM tourists they would think you were talking about the show "ER". Lasted 10 years emergency room soap opera. DUH! There is a BIG ocean between us!

Duh me, Fee! The Beefeater had ER II on his back not ER. What a dope! Now I finally got it! I would have to have tea with ER at Westminster Abbey....gotcha

Edited by namaste2 2005-07-08 8:39 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2005-07-08 8:47 AM (#26939 - in reply to #26935)

The London accents tend to drop H off the front of words so my last is a play on words

In English : Are you going to see her up at the palace?
In London : Are you going to see 'er (pronounced as a word, not letter by letter) up at the palace?

Pun 'er = ER = Elizabeth Regina and palace = Bucks House = Buckingham Palace

Never mind, you can always blame it on the jet lag next time

I think it was Churchill who said that the US and the UK were two nations divided by a common language?

Love ER the programme.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-07-08 8:50 AM

Posted 2005-07-11 8:49 AM (#27055 - in reply to #26939)

Well ya'll- I'll be moving to the tee hut this week. Wish me luck and hopefully no bald spots will appear on the ole noggin from pulling me hair out! Ya'll have a great week and stay cool (it is going to be 100F today)!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)