YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Attn Pilates experts!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-03 5:12 PM (#18172)
Subject: Attn Pilates experts!

I tried Pilates a couple of years ago and loved it, but I have really been focusing on yoga as I've been trying to become a better teacher. But, I am returning to Pilates now because . . .

I recently had abdominal surgery to repair an incisional hernia (among other things), and am now working on my own rehab program to get back to where I was before surgery. In fact, BETTER than I was before surgery would be great!

From what I have read, Pilates is a great preventative for future incisional hernias, as it builds a solid strength of the abdominal wall. Yoga is great for lots of things, but the twisting and stretching motions are not the best thing for warding off another such hernia. In fact, last year one of my doctors told me the pain in my belly was just some scar adhesions from a previous surgery, so I've been twisting and stretching like crazy trying to break it up. Now that I know it was actually a hernia, I'm guessing my twisting & stretching was probably counterproductive. I still intend to do as much yoga as I can, but I want to add Pilates because obviously my ab-wall strength needs some work.

SO . . . I'm slowly trying to start a Pilates program at home. I don't really have access to well-trained teachers in the classical tradition, and I'd like to know which exercises are the best for this kind of rehab? My incision stretches from just above the bellybutton down to the bikini line (very sexy). As far as I know, no ab muscles were cut, but a mesh was sewn in so I do have some internal soreness from that. Also the hernia and two other masses were removed, so there's a bit of soreness from those cuts too.

I look forward to your advice! Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaChick
Posted 2005-03-07 8:27 PM (#18424 - in reply to #18172)
Subject: RE: Attn Pilates experts!

First of all, did your doctor give you any post-op exercises to do?
Second, make sure you have DOCTOR'S CLEARANCE and that you have given yourself enough healing time!

I've had experience helping women with hysterectomy recovery, and if I were working with you one-on-one, I would probably use the same approach.

Take it VERY LIGHT AND SLOW for a while, even if you don't feel like you are getting a "good workout." A good starting place is to familiarize yourself with postnatal Pilates and postnatal yoga exercises, specifically those that focus on the abdominal area. Those exercises will be a very gentle starting place. (Go ahead and invest in a couple of videos, and a book or two if you don't already have them)

Re-visit the very basic beginning Pilates exercises to strengthen the abdominal walls:

PELVIC TILT: When practicing pelvic tilt, try to relax your glutes and hamstrings so the focus is on strengthening your core

LACING THE RIBCAGE, or contracting the transverse abdominus

THE HUNDRED: do the most basic version for a while, either with feet on the floor or with your knees bent if you have your legs straight up in the air

THE HALF ROLL BACK, applying the principles of pelvic tilt (scoop your abdominals) and lacing the ribcage

eventually, add THE FULL ROLL UP with bent knees, applying the above principles

Also, re-visit some of your yoga "locks" such as mula bhanda and uddiyana bhanda.

I realize my descriptions are brief. I'm assuming you are familiar with most of these moves. If not, I'll be happy to go into more detail.

Remember: Don't let yourself do too much. That may be how you got yourself into this situation anyway. There's no such thing as doing "too little" as long as you are doing!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-08 7:29 AM (#18456 - in reply to #18172)

I'm so glad to hear you say Postnatal! I read the description for a DVD that sounded like it would have similar modifications to what I'd need, so I ordered it this weekend. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week!

My doctor just said I can't lift anything more than 20 lbs until 12 weeks after surgery. My orders upon leaving the hospital were sort of ridiculous (no bending? how do I get in the car?), but since then he has not recommended avoiding exercise. I'm trying to practice what I preach to my yoga students and listen to my body, not pushing it too far too fast. Of course, I am much harder on myself than on them!

I've been trying modifications of those you suggested, haven't heard of Lacing the Ribcage so I will look that one up. The Hundred is getting easier, though I'm nowhere near the full position (and it's more like The Sixty at this point). I'm finally Rolling Down without holding onto my legs (still bent) but can't get back up without help! Also I'm doing Single Leg Stretch and Single Leg Circles (small) - those feel really good. Double Leg Stretch feels like something is going to shoot out of my belly like in Alien, so I guess I'm not ready for that!

After my last surgery, I was a complete slug for a year, so exercise probably didn't cause the hernia! In fact, the main thing that was causing me trouble turned out to be a big wad of endometriosis, not a hernia (although a small hernia was found as well). Since I was so sedentary after the last time, I had a lot of pain from scar adhesions. I'm hoping to avoid that this time!
YogaChick
Posted 2005-03-10 1:19 PM (#18669 - in reply to #18456)

See. . . . your instincts were already leading you in the right direction! Definitely avoid anything that makes you feel, "like an alien is going to shoot out your belly!" (That's hilarious!!!)

If you're having a hard time finding any references to "ribcage breathing," it is also called "lateral breathing."
Roni
Posted 2005-04-07 12:11 PM (#21373 - in reply to #18172)
Subject: Pilates after hernia surgery?

I have just recently been diagnosed with a hernia and have to have repair surgery. The recuperation is supposed to be about one month. I am fairly experienced at Pilates, and I run and weight train also, so I am in pretty good shape. How long should I wait to do Pilates following surgery?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-07 11:24 PM (#21420 - in reply to #18172)

When you do the surgery and watch the part operated carefully from inside, either with your mind, or with a check up instrument, it should tell you whether the part is healed. After this there is no problem to do whatever you want to do with that part. Only thing is you have to do only within the limit of that part.

And, of course, your limit to start will be much less than that before the problem arose.

So, it is NOT the length of the time alone you should worry, but also the amount of exercise you will do with that part.

What actual exercise you do with that part is totally contextual and can only be learnt from your knowledge or experienced teacher.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-04-07 11:47 PM (#21425 - in reply to #21373)
Subject: RE: Pilates after hernia surge

Expert Yogi

Roni - what do your doctor and Pilates teacher say? Your doc might not know much about Pilates but can give you a clear idea of the "typical" healing time for such a surgery and perhaps more detailed ideas of how s/he thinks your particular healing might go. Neel is correct though, you must monitor from the inside to really KNOW what is happening. Your Pilates teacher, if s/he is experienced and knowledgable, will be able to give you background on how others have been able to use Pilates to recuperate and will know your body enough to perhaps give you modifications and maybe things to do before you come back to full practice.

Just remember that generalities are just that - they are not specific to you. You are an individual. And remember that being fit and strong does not give you superhuman powers. Many athletic types overdo too soon and set themselves back after surgery. The body can heal itself a lot but it does need time.

I have heard some amazing stories of accupuncture being used to speed recovery from surgery. If it is available to you, you might want to check it out. Take care!
Roni
Posted 2005-04-08 10:19 AM (#21435 - in reply to #18172)
Subject: Pilates after hernia surgery

Thanks for the advice!
dxl_2k
Posted 2005-04-08 8:17 PM (#21457 - in reply to #18172)

hi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)