YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can Christians Practice Yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

YogaDancer
Posted 2005-03-28 2:58 PM (#20318 - in reply to #20316)
Subject: RE: Can Christians Practice Yo

[sigh] Here we go again.
Just because you disagree with me, and therfore documented facts about dining in America, and just because you didn't like hearing it? Doesn't make me stupid, close minded, hateful, demeaning, insulting, and (huh?) judgemental.

As far as me having 'issues' with grocery stores? I love 'em. Love sales, love to shop, and love to take advantage of marketing to America's obesity.

My own country's traditions? Yeah, I have trouble with a lot of 'em, but I only look at people who remember their supposedly belonging, if not practicing a faith on that holiday with pity. Tolerance? Well, they can sure do what they want, and if having a big meal and eating wonderful chocolate is how they choose to celebrate that momentary rememberance of at least the day if not the actual reason? More power to 'em.

Dearheart, once again, this isn't about you and it sure isn't about me. Attack all you want, but you're projecting a lot more caring and judgementalism on me that I warrant.

Christine
Still lookin' for that throne.... does it come with a halo?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-03-28 3:03 PM (#20320 - in reply to #20286)

Jeriwho,
I don't know where you live or if you travel for yoga, but a studio where I teach, Golden Heart Yoga in Annapolis, MD is offering a workshop this summer that peaks my interest.

Carolyn Bluemle, a long time teacher in this area, very well-respected and a certified Iyengar teacher is doing a class on Body Prayer. Evidently her spiritual path has led through through from Christianity, through Buddhism and other complimentary, do-the-right-thing paths, bringing her back to incorporate it all into her Christian faith. Her words are "rediscovering her roots" which I thought was nice.

Anyway, I think it sounds very interesting given the question of Christians practicing yoga, and if yoga has a place in people's spiritual path, although yoga is not a faith.

Thought you might be interested, too.
Christine
akyogini
Posted 2005-03-28 4:58 PM (#20332 - in reply to #20286)

everything is attitude~ (i hope you dont mind me replying as i am new to this site) Yoga can be a very religeous practice if your mind is in it~

Posted 2005-03-28 6:50 PM (#20338 - in reply to #20332)

Erika--of course nobody minds if you post--welcome kiddo.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-28 7:14 PM (#20341 - in reply to #20304)
Subject: RE: Can Christians Practice Yoga?

MichaelJ - 2005-03-28 1:51 PM
Jeri wrote: "We believe that every man is sinful and that he cannot be enlightened from within. We are completely dependent upon God, through the office of Christ our High Priest, to declare us justified before God and to act in us to sanctify us and cause us to grow in faith in Him."

To this I would like to respectfully suggest that logically, it seems that if God and Christ are the source of enlightenment, and Christ is now in us, then enlightenment surely does come from within.

Well, that's a nifty way of looking at it, I guess, but Christ isn't in everybody. He indwells His people. And though He dwells in us, we access divine wisdom by appeals to God, (not by appealing to ourselves) though certainly that "prompting of the Holy Spirit" will be received inwardly. Yet still, it comes from God. The book of James tells believers in Christ to ask God for wisdom. It doesn't say to look inward. And the books of Romans and Hebrews both refer to the labor of Christ before the throne of God even now, making intercession as our High Priest with God to bestow strength and blessing upon us.

And remember, Christ is in us, but we are also in Him. The view of indwelling is not taught in Scripture as a source of enlightenment in the way that you're suggesting so much as a state of union with our Savior. The Bible teaches that we still go to Christ, not ourselves, for Him to take action in us to continue to conform us to His image and give us victory over sin.

We do not place faith in ourselves. Out faith is in Christ. Hope that explains it!

Jeri
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-28 7:17 PM (#20342 - in reply to #20320)

YogaDancer - 2005-03-28 3:03 PM
Carolyn Bluemle, a long time teacher in this area, very well-respected and a certified Iyengar teacher is doing a class on Body Prayer. Evidently her spiritual path has led through through from Christianity, through Buddhism and other complimentary, do-the-right-thing paths, bringing her back to incorporate it all into her Christian faith. Her words are "rediscovering her roots" which I thought was nice.
Christine

Thank you Christine. It would be impossible for me to attend, but perhaps if you attend you can come back and synopsize it for the forum.

Best wishes,
Jeri
MrD
Posted 2005-03-28 7:49 PM (#20345 - in reply to #17925)

Before Jesus died, He willed us His Peace...He wants us to have peace in the midst of our current circumstances--peace in the morning, at night and all times in between. Peace is our inheritance! And it is a wonderful possession.

-Joyce Meyer

How can we get His peace in our practice of Yoga?

Edited by MrD 2005-03-28 7:55 PM
sivaram
Posted 2005-03-28 9:49 PM (#20358 - in reply to #20341)

...we access divine wisdom by appeals to God...

As they say in Thailand, SAME SAME, BUT DIFFERENT!

Christ is in us, but we are also in Him

Christ=God : Christ is in us=God in us.

a state of union with our Savior

Yoga=union

We do not place faith in ourselves. Our faith is in Christ

In Yoga we also place our faith in God, not in our self (small s - ie, ego/personality. A common misinterpretation.)

Seeking Self (capital S) or Atman = Seeking Brahman, or Supreme Being (God).
Well, I can understand how Christians might have some trouble with this equation.

Back to the first quote,
...we access divine wisdom by appeals to God...

Here's a quote from Swami Sivananda:

"Therefore, to get success in concentration, meditation and the practice of Yoga, you must have tremendous patience, tremendous will and tremendous perseverance. Plunge yourself in concentration. Merge the mind in the one idea of God and God alone. Let the mind fully get absorbed there. Forget other things. Let the whole body, muscles, tissues, nerves, cells and brain be filled with the one idea of God. This is the way to positive success. Great sages and saints of yore have practiced Yoga in this way only. Work hard. You will reach the goal. You will also become a great saint. Whatever one has achieved can be achieved by others also. This is the Law.

Full text here:
http://www.yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=245§ion=9&cat=197

IMHO the differences are very slight, and mainly of approach, semantics, and aesthetics.
Exclusivity is a blight upon any faith, and is by no means exclusive to some Christian sects.

The Truth is in there...
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-28 9:53 PM (#20360 - in reply to #20358)

Expert Yogi

Tat tvam asi...

Sarvam Khalvidam Brahma...

Om nama Sivaya.

sivaram
Posted 2005-03-28 9:54 PM (#20362 - in reply to #17925)

I can't resist posting another gem from Swami Sivananda:

The word Yoga comes from the Sanskrit root Yuj which means to join. Yoga is a science that teaches us the method of joining the individual soul and the Supreme Soul. It is the merging of the individual will with the Cosmic or Universal Will. Yoga is that inhibition of the functions of the mind which leads to the absolute abidance of the soul in its own real nature of Divine Glory and Divine Splendour. It is the process by which the identity of the individual soul and the Oversoul is established by the Yogi. In other words, the human soul is brought into conscious communion with God. Yoga is the Science of sciences that disentangles the individual soul from the phenomenal world of sense-objects and links with the Absolute, whose inherent attributes are Infinite Bliss, Supreme Peace, Infinite Knowledge and unbroken Joy.

Full text here:
http://www.yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=245§ion=9&cat=197

Build Bridges, Not Walls.
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-29 1:39 AM (#20393 - in reply to #17925)

WOW- It took me SOOOO long to get through this one!

What I have to say:

To answer the original question: Yes (Chrisians CAN practice yoga)

My thoughts: OMG, after reading all of this, I can't WAIT for the day that we reach the point of UNITY THROUGH DIVERSITY. Think about it............... It almost feels like it is here, where we can ALL be one with "God" , it will be one large giant enlightment. (Take that how you will) But, it also feels so far away. I guess, that is a whole other topic (What is time, etc etc)
Anyways, IMO, Yoga is a very good tool to do so.
elson
Posted 2005-03-29 2:51 AM (#20394 - in reply to #17925)

Jeri is quite an able spokesman for classic Christianity. I agree with all that he has said in this thread, since I share his theological stance.

I also see the similarity between moral teachings in many religions. But let's not reduce a religion to its moral teachings. Certainly tantra is not limited to, or even defined by, moral teachings. It seems to me that the central assertion in what I have learned in tantra is that we are all parts of God, dancing the dance of hide and seek with the other parts of God. Suffering comes from forgetting this, & bliss comes from remembering who we are. That probably isn't a very good summary, but the point is that the point is more like "who God is," and"who we are," than moral teachings.

Likewise, the central assertion of Christianity is the person and nature of Jesus.

jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-29 4:51 AM (#20399 - in reply to #20394)

elson - 2005-03-29 2:51 AM

Jeri is quite an able spokesman for classic Christianity. I agree with all that he has said in this thread, since I share his theological stance.

[SNIP] Likewise, the central assertion of Christianity is the person and nature of Jesus.

Nicely put! Thank you. Yes, classical Christianity looks for mercy on our sinful condition and we place our hope in Christ. We rejoice when we see Him at work in us, and we learn to have fellowship with Him and partake of Him. We wait hopefully for the day when we see Him face to face and our sin is no more; no more separation from Him, no more doubt, no more causing pain to others. But this life is a process of the work of Christ triumphing in us by our faith in Him, as He conforms us to His mind and likeness.

Just one correction, my tolerant friend elson, I am a "she," not a "he."
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-29 6:50 AM (#20402 - in reply to #20358)

IMHO the differences are very slight, and mainly of approach, semantics, and aesthetics.
Exclusivity is a blight upon any faith, and is by no means exclusive to some Christian sects.

And some Christians who are more liberal than historic Protestant Christianity would agree with you. But adherents to historic Protestant Christianity would not agree with your assessment. We measure divine nature against the Bible and will reject any claim of any being that departs from the God proclaimed in the Bible.

We seek union with God in Christ, and we seek a distinct, separate individual, Jesus Christ, who died for the world but specifically atoned for the sins of His people. He has granted us forgiveness, and we believe that the forgiveness that He grants is the only means of entrance and acceptance with God. Is that a religion of exclusion? Yes it certainly is, but any Christian who takes the Bible as the sole authority of faith and practice will be exclusive. We believe that nobody comes to the Father except through Jesus Christ.

"Therefore, to get success in concentration, meditation and the practice of Yoga, you must have tremendous patience, tremendous will and tremendous perseverance. Plunge yourself in concentration. Merge the mind in the one idea of God and God alone. Let the mind fully get absorbed there

Christians who live by what the Bible teaches do not believe that by "tremendous patience, tremendous will and tremendous perseverance" we would ever be able to "merge the mind in the one idea of God and God alone." In fact, we believe something quite opposite to that. We believe that Jesus Christ, by His labor to live a perfectly righteous life, to die an acceptable death that made Him an offering for our sin, and who now intercedes for His people before the throne of God, captures our hearts and minds and works in us to conform us to Himself. **He** makes us acceptable to God. *He* works in us to change us from what we are. *He* will triumph in us. The "tremendous patience, tremendous will and tremendous perseverance" of Christianity comes from Christ, not us. For salvation is "not of works, lest any man should boast." We possess no power to join to God. Rather, the Son of God has exerted His power to join us to God.

This is why the Lord Jesus raised the dead. We are the dead. We are dead in sin, and He raises us to life in Him. We are blind, and He enables us to see Him. We are leprous with sin, and He cleanses us. Our religion is not one of effort to attain union with God. Our religion is humbled gratitude and joyful thanksgiving because our God has found us and rejoiced over us when we are unworthy of His righteousness. And because He has loved us so much, He has fellowship with us, and He delivers us from our sin through the atonign Blood of Christ.

Jeri
Posted 2005-03-29 7:11 AM (#20406 - in reply to #20402)

You're not discussing, you're preaching.
sivaram
Posted 2005-03-29 7:38 AM (#20407 - in reply to #17925)

Ok Jeri, I get your drift. If it's working for you, run with it.

What's your denomination?

I am willing to bet that merging the mind in God (or Christ) is indeed a form of meditation used by Christians.

I am sure you would reject all forms of Christianity which vary from your sects' doctrines right?

I think it's unfortunate, but then, It's never really been my intention to convert anyone, only to lift the dark doubts laid upon their minds about yoga and spirituality (as opposed to stretching) by misinformed members of the clergy.

Edited by sivaram 2005-03-29 7:44 AM
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-03-29 8:03 AM (#20408 - in reply to #20407)
Subject: Can Christians Practice Yoga

Preaching? Guest, I didn't find it so. I see that as a supersensitivity, to which you are entitled.

Any time someone speaks of their beliefs in the terms of "We believe..." vs. "You will..." or "You must... or else xxx will/won't happen..." it's not preaching to me. "We believe" offers information. That which the listener can take or leave. At least IMHO.

Sivaram, I also find your statements pretty interesting, too. Perhaps I should say assumptions as a given!
>>I'm willing to bet ..." << and >>"I am sure you would reject..."<<
Granted, there are many denominations that do reject denominational differences, but there are those who try to look at The Word vs. clinging to one man's interpertation thereof.

If you're trying >>to lift the dark doubts laid upon their minds about yoga and spirituality ... by misinformed members of the clergy << don't be so quick to assume. You never know what you're going to find in someone's heart despite their denomination. Assuming someone is closed has the preacher (i.e. the Deliver-er of The News and your instance, the yogi) coming off as presumptous and close-minded him/herself! Try to look for the positive when you offer this enlightenment. You might find a like-minded person or a kindred soul!

Remember, it's not up to us to judge someone else's spiritual path, nor there place on it. There is but One God, but many paths to the Divine. (Satchitananda?)

Christine

Edited by YogaDancer 2005-03-29 8:05 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-03-29 9:51 AM (#20416 - in reply to #17925)

Dear FamousLadyJane:
Thanks for your re-surrection of the original question which was flowing away. Can Christians practice Yoga? And, thanks for you input. Additional input follows:

1. Yes, Christians can practice Yoga. Because Jesus Christ himself did so, and that is NOT metaphorically, he actually practiced Yoga, withh that particular word in it.

2. Yes, Christians are practicing yoga, for example, many bulletin board members are christians and practicing yoga for long time. Can one particular Christian say that the others are NOT christians for that matter?

3. And, even those who are not actually doing any Yoga Practice, but are participating on this bulletin board are practicing Yoga. Because, this is a Yoga based Bulletin Board. And, they are interested in knowing Yoga Related things. So, they are practicing Yoga.

Yoga is a base of human life, and there is no way to avoid it. Anybody, practicing any good thing, is practicing Yoga. In terms of timeframe all well known religions are but recent entities.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
FamousLadyJane
Posted 2005-03-29 12:21 PM (#20429 - in reply to #20416)

kulkarnn - 2005-03-29 7:51 AM

Dear FamousLadyJane:
Thanks for your re-surrection of the original question which was flowing away. Can Christians practice Yoga? And, thanks for you input. Additional input follows:

1. Yes, Christians can practice Yoga. Because Jesus Christ himself did so, and that is NOT metaphorically, he actually practiced Yoga, withh that particular word in it.

2. Yes, Christians are practicing yoga, for example, many bulletin board members are christians and practicing yoga for long time. Can one particular Christian say that the others are NOT christians for that matter?

3. And, even those who are not actually doing any Yoga Practice, but are participating on this bulletin board are practicing Yoga. Because, this is a Yoga based Bulletin Board. And, they are interested in knowing Yoga Related things. So, they are practicing Yoga.

Yoga is a base of human life, and there is no way to avoid it. Anybody, practicing any good thing, is practicing Yoga. In terms of timeframe all well known religions are but recent entities.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

No Problem, and thankyou .
I was going to edit my post because I thought, do I really want to be a part of the hodge podge? Sometimes I just feel like I dont have the energy to discuss.... beliefs, for lack of a better word. In my family I have experienced religious prejudism, and it is a sore subject for me. Now, most of the time, I rather just go on my way and keep to myself. This is quiet and nice, but sometimes lonely.
Anyways, I suppose I will keep that up there.
Truely to you, Namaste.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-29 6:49 PM (#20460 - in reply to #20429)

Expert Yogi

And some Christians who are more liberal than historic Protestant Christianity would agree with you. But adherents to historic Protestant Christianity would not agree....

I guess that I'll have to comment a bit on the implied authority of
"historical Protestant Christianity". Having been a Protestant
Christian in an old-line denomination for a significant part of my life,
I have some basis from which to respond.

The Christians with whom I grew up did not express themselves with
rigidity about either the bible or the various manifestations of spirituality.
Sure, yes, the path to god was only through christ, but the word ECUMENICAL
arose quite a lot. Tolerance and respect for other systems of belief were the
norm, and, in particular, you never heard anyone asserting that
the bible was to be taken literally (e.g., in regard to creation/evolution).
People regularly dismissed some of the absurd passages found in Book of Leviticus.
The bible, after all, was written and assembled by humans based upon their
understanding of the divine. I would regard these people, as they themselves
would, as being practitioners of historical protestant christianity.

I'll also note another aspect of historical Protestant christianity -- witch hunts,
perhaps as in New England a few hundred years ago. These acts appear to me
to have derived from inflexible, unthinking, and inhumane applications of Protestant
doctrine. [The Spanish had their auto-da-fe's, but they were Catholic.]

I bring this last not to be inflammatory but simply to underline that historicism
does not in itself guarantee either morality or common sense. I've written
about common sense in connection with an historic yoga text over in the
thread about "cleansing" in the Hatha Yoga forum. I would apply this kind of
criticism to essentially every religion of which I am aware, so I don't mean to
be hard on christians in particular. I just find it illogical to assume that a book
written by men has authority that goes beyond our ability to interpret, filter,
and apply it to our lives. When these books don't pass the laugh test, then
I know it's time to abandon literalism.
sivaram
Posted 2005-03-29 7:29 PM (#20465 - in reply to #20460)

Well said, Bay Guy - I would've just said the Bible is an unreliable text, but you said it so much better.

The term Historical Protestant Christianity sounds a bit self-serving to my ear, implying a claim to authenticity and authority. This is why I ask Jeri for her denomination. It qualifies her statements in a particular way, because there are many ways to classify Protestant groups. (See one article on the topic BELOW)

Jeri has said that just because there are divisions does not mean there is no definition of Christianity.
Fine. But I for one am interested to know the location of your camp, and how is it that you can be so certain that your version is correct, other than clinging to recieved dogma? Is it possible to experience the things you have written about, as in an experience of Grace? I ask sincerley - I would really like to know.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_divi2.htm

"...research shows that the population at-large rejects many beliefs that are embraced by evangelical Christians. For instance, most Americans do not believe in salvation by grace, alone; that the Bible is totally accurate in all that it teaches; that they have a personal responsibility for evangelism; that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life; or that Satan is a real being who can influence peopleís lives." 1 Of course, the opposite is true: most Evangelical Christians do not accept the beliefs of mainline and liberal Christian churches and of the majority of American Christians. In fact, some conservative Christians do not regard mainline and liberal churches to be fully Christian. 

Grouping denominations:

There are over 1,000 Christian religious organizations in North America alone. Each has their own set of beliefs, policies and practices. When discussing such topics as the divinity of Christ, salvation, heaven, etc., it would be hopelessly unwieldy to explain the beliefs of each faith group. Religious authors often divide Christian denominations by family or into a three or two mode model.

Grouping Christians by family: A 16 mode model:
One method of sorting faith groups is by family. Within each family, individual denominations share a common belief system, and/or a common heritage. The following is an example of one of many such models, It was largely patterned after J. Gordon Melton's "The Encyclopedia of American Religions":

Adventists
Baptists
Christian Science - Metaphysical
Communal
European Free Church
Holiness
Independent Fundamentalist
Latter-day Saints
Liberal
Lutheran
Messianic Judaism
Pentecostal
Pietism - Methodist
Reformed - Presbyterian
Spiritualist, Psychic, New Age
Anglican communion

Another way of grouping Christians: A simplistic two mode model -- "us and them":

Many people tend to view the Christian world in terms of "us ". e.g. "there is my denomination, and then there are all the other faith groups that only consider themselves to be Christian ." For example, a Fundamentalist or other Evangelical Christian might believe that his/her faith group represents true Christianity. She/he might consider non-conservative denominations, grouped together, as non-Christian, heretical Christian, quasi-Christian, false Christian etc. Similarly, a liberal Christian might lump together Fundamentalists, Pentecostals, Charismatics and other Evangelicals as a single group without differentiating among them. Contributing to this view of Christianity is the public's general lack of knowledge of other denominations within their religion, and a common inability to differentiate among those faith groups which are very different from their own

Edited by sivaram 2005-03-29 7:50 PM
sivaram
Posted 2005-03-29 7:57 PM (#20473 - in reply to #20408)
Subject: RE: Can Christians Practice Yoga

YogaDancer - 2005-03-30 9:03 PM
Remember, it's not up to us to judge someone else's spiritual path, nor there place on it. There is but One God, but many paths to the Divine. (Satchitananda?)

This is in fact what is disputed by conservative Christians. That is what I find unfortunate, though it is not and never has been my project to even attempt to convince them.

For clarification on my stance, please refer to prior posts on this thread and the one on the meditation forum which kicked off this lively and interesting debate.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-30 4:57 AM (#20514 - in reply to #20407)

sivaram - 2005-03-29 7:38 AM

Ok Jeri, I get your drift. If it's working for you, run with it.

What's your denomination?

Well, I'm Presbyterian (PCA), but the doctrinal views that I have explained would be shared by any denomination that is in agreement with the Westminster Confession of Faith, so that would include a lot of Southern Baptist churches, some Independent Baptist and Reformed Baptist, some Methodist, Wesleyen, and---of course---many churches that are called "Bible Churches." Even some very conservative Anglican churches would be in agreement with what I have explained about the doctrines of Christ.

As I said, Christianity (in the way I have defined it, but that's a large group among those who profess Christ. It's called Historic Protestant Christianity.) *is* exclusive in its outlook. That probably doesn't meet with the approval of many here, but let's not redefine things based on what we expect to see in others. I'd like you to understand that these are the doctrines that many people hold, including some who practice yoga.

I really enjoy yoga, but there is nothing spiritual in the practice of it in my life. My hope, my expectation of righteousness, my confidence, and my consolation are all vested in what Jesus Christ has done for me, and His power to triumph over sin and death. I do thank God that after a couple years of severe back pain His Providence guided me to a yoga class, but I likewise thank Him for His Providence in providing my job for me, my daily food, the birds that come to the feeder in my back yard, and the gas station down the street that fixes me car, etc.

Yoga has been and continues to be a wonderful way to find relief from my curvy spine. But that's all it is to me. If adherents of a spiritual path in yoga tell me that I need to participate in the spiritual side of it, I just say , "No I don't. Christ alone is my sufficiency" And if Pat Robertson tells me I'm in sin for doing yoga, I'd just say, "No I'm not. Christ alone is my sufficiency." Same answer for either side of the question, because it's just exercise to me.

Jeri
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-30 5:06 AM (#20516 - in reply to #20416)

kulkarnn - 2005-03-29 9:51 AM
1. Yes, Christians can practice Yoga. Because Jesus Christ himself did so, and that is NOT metaphorically, he actually practiced Yoga, with that particular word in it.

No He didn't, not according to the Bible anyway.

Of course we can. I certainly do. I just use it as a form of exercise. But my faith and confidence are in Christ and Christ alone.

Well, then it's how you would define "practicing yoga". Reading a bulletin board is NOT something I would include in the practice of yoga, but it's pretty clear that I live under a very Western, almost Aristotelian view of reality (viewing the quality of reality as made up of hard and fast distinctions). I actually believe that doing one thing is not the same thing at all as doing something else.

Hmm, well, that gets back to such a broad defintion that you make your term mean every possible thing. But if you want to define yoga that way, that's cool---for you.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-30 5:19 AM (#20517 - in reply to #20460)

Bay Guy - 2005-03-29 6:49 PM
I guess that I'll have to comment a bit on the implied authority of
"historical Protestant Christianity".

I hope I wasn't misread. There is no authority whatsoever vested in being historic. It's a mere descriptor, and it's benefit was to show that Pat Robertson, whatever his views, is not speaking for a large group of Christians friom which many Evangelical churches have sprung.

In other words, a lot of Evangelicals and Fundamentalists today trace their lineage back to historic Protestant Christianity. Pat Robertson does not. His version of Christianity espouses a moral conservatism and a beleif in the Bible, but quite frankly, we think he's a nut. I'm sorry; that's not kind, but there is a huge quantity of experiential stuff that he would but on the same level of authority as the Bible. So I am trying to draw a distinction about who I am in terms of where I am coming from doctrinally, as opposed to Pat Robertson or the 700 club gang. To outsiders, we look the same, but I assure you, we are NOT doctrinally close.

Jeri

I'll also note another aspect of historical Protestant christianity -- witch hunts,
perhaps as in New England a few hundred years ago. These acts appear to me
to have derived from inflexible, unthinking, and inhumane applications of Protestant
doctrine. [The Spanish had their auto-da-fe's, but they were Catholic.]

The witch hunts of Salem were opposed by other Puritans, even in that day. And those witch hunts occured in a town that had embraced the Inner Light teachings of Anne Hutchinson. Salem had also endorsed a series of compromises that allowed land holders roles of church office WITHOUT proving out their doctrinal readiness for such positions.

In short, the churches in Salem were already apostasizing when the witch hunts occurred, and they were relying heavily on experiential events (rather than doctrine) to support their faith.

The truth is that the Puritan movement in England effectively ended the practice of witch hunts, as their legal system insisted on far more extensive hard evidence than had been required under Roman Catholic church/legal proceedings. And in Salem, the town leaders rescinded those legal requirements to build a case, and that was why the flood gates opened for hysteria.

There was nothing good or right about the Salem witch trials, but they were clearly an anomaly, and the laws based on Biblical justice had to be revoked for the abuses to occur.

I bring this to your attention just to set the record straight from a historical and doctrinal point of view. The Puritans in Salem were highly secularized and had chosen to live in a religion based on experience rather than doctrine. In fact, they had gotten a lot close to what Pat Robertson believes than to anything I would believe. And he's out hunting withces too.

Jeri
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... >
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)