YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why be a Vegetarian?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-08-07 8:26 PM (#29131 - in reply to #29127)
Subject: RE: Why be a Vegetarian?

Expert Yogi

Well, humans are VERY adapatable animals and as a species we do very well at eating whatever is handy, which is why it wasn't immediately apparent that eating chips, pop and cheese doodles was not going to make a successful dietary strategy One of our big cultural mistakes is that we make these ridiculous leaps in judgement. They discovered that if cow's milk was modified, babies could survive on it. Somehow it went from there to "every baby should have this" and that's when, as they say the wheels fell off. Likewise, some guy sees his neighbour eating cheese doodles and figures "if he can do it, why not me?" and the next thing you know we are....well. where we are

Cyndi - one thing to remember about those good old days is that we were younger then and had that magic metabolism...Ah youth!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miabella704
Posted 2005-08-07 8:36 PM (#29132 - in reply to #17812)

Zoebird:

You are a cornucopia of information! I would love to sit and talk with you at length. Yes, I disagree with many, many anthropological theories. My major was anthropology until I saw that my professors weren't appreciative of my differing viewpoint. For example, I highly doubt that our well developed brains are the result of eating meat, which is what many anthropologists claim.
I'd also like more information on obtaining raw or whole dairy products. I have a Whole Foods Market nearby. I wonder if they carry these products. I feel that modern agriculture procedures are to blame for the bad health of animals, humans, and the environment. The more we try to "improve" things the worse they seem to get.
I love dairy!! It's my number one weakness. However, I have vegan friends who lecture me on the dangers and evils of dairy.
Please keep informing as well as you do. You're a credit to this board and I love reading your posts.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-08-07 8:39 PM (#29133 - in reply to #17812)

.........oh yes, and I'm hoping someone has a soy suggestion for my meatballs!!! I was raised on great, homemade Italian food and some things I just crave.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-08 5:15 AM (#29144 - in reply to #29132)

The most interesting book I've read for a while suggests that our higher brain functions have developed to the extent they have as a matter of sexual selection. That is we fancy bright people. Certainly made more sense to me than diet. After all, if diet were the only driver, I very much doubt we'd be the only species building cities, etc.

Fee

Miabella704 - 2005-08-08 1:36 AM

Zoebird:

You are a cornucopia of information! I would love to sit and talk with you at length. Yes, I disagree with many, many anthropological theories. My major was anthropology until I saw that my professors weren't appreciative of my differing viewpoint. For example, I highly doubt that our well developed brains are the result of eating meat, which is what many anthropologists claim.
I'd also like more information on obtaining raw or whole dairy products. I have a Whole Foods Market nearby. I wonder if they carry these products. I feel that modern agriculture procedures are to blame for the bad health of animals, humans, and the environment. The more we try to "improve" things the worse they seem to get.
I love dairy!! It's my number one weakness. However, I have vegan friends who lecture me on the dangers and evils of dairy.
Please keep informing as well as you do. You're a credit to this board and I love reading your posts.

Posted 2005-08-08 11:05 AM (#29183 - in reply to #29132)

the vegan perspective of dairy seems to be limited, from a health standpoint, to factory farmed, pasturized dairy. add to this the problems of overprocessed or quick processed dairy (fat free stuff in bags), and you get *very* unhealthy and virtually indigestable products. the johns hopkins study in relation to this demonstrated that when people of all populations (male, female, infant to adult, all races) are given pasturized, fat free dairy, more than 90% demonstrate lactose intolerance! but, it was never studied based on raw dairy, which has always been consumed in every other culture--and ours--for centuries. Most vegans overlook raw dairy, it's health benefits, and it's different farming practices (you can't factory farm raw milk--the cleanliness standards of the farm are far greater, and many of the cows and goats are milked by hand--so the herds are smaller too).

realmilk.com has a list of areas that have raw milk. raw milk is illegal in some states, though there is a black market. i'm not advocating black market use. If you're looking for Cheese, Organic Valley is sold across the country. It will be labeled "raw." If you're looking for milk, cream, and butter, it might be harder if you life in a state where it's illegal to sell these products. If you can meet a person who has a hobby herd, then you may be able to get these products easily. if you have land, you can learn to start your own herd--most hobbyists prefer goats.

i think anthropology is really interesting. i haven't really come down on the 'meat developed our brains' issue. aspects of it make sense, but there are lots of creatures who eat meat and their brains aren't as developed. so, there must be other factors, right? what those factors are, i wouldn't even begin to guess! But, i also know it's always frustrating to have profs who want you to agree, rather than engage. the point of higher education is to engage, not agree. agreement is for elementry school and multiple choice tests!

as for soy-based meatballs, i know that trader joes sells a decent one. a friend of mine makes her own. she takes TVP (textured vegetable protien) and reconstitutes it in home-made vegetable broth. She uses a broth that she loads with 'italian spices.' This seasons the TVP. Then, she makes meat balls using TVP, eggs (as a binder), onion (sauteed), garlic, and herbs. Sometimes, she also uses bread crumbs and parmisan. She then cookes them in a hot skillet. They retain their shape, and she then puts them into her sauce.

so, there it is.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-08-08 8:35 PM (#29275 - in reply to #17812)

Thanks for the recipe ideas.

Now, how do I put a picture under my name on here?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-08 8:42 PM (#29278 - in reply to #29275)

Expert Yogi

Miabella704 - 2005-08-08 8:35 PM

Thanks for the recipe ideas.

Now, how do I put a picture under my name on here?

Go to the control panel and upload it onto the forum. Just make sure your file is not too big, it will get rejected.
easternsun
Posted 2005-08-09 12:34 AM (#29321 - in reply to #29133)

Miabella704 - 2005-08-08 9:39 AM

.........oh yes, and I'm hoping someone has a soy suggestion for my meatballs!!! I was raised on great, homemade Italian food and some things I just crave.

Italian Meat Balls

1/4 cup tomato sauce
3 Tbs water
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup dry textured soy protein
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup grated zucchini
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup canned soybeans, drained & mashed
3/4 tsp each basil & oregano
1/4 tsp each sage & salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup rolled oats

Combine the tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Pour over the textured soy protein and set aside until ready to use. Cook the mushrooms, onions, zucchini and garlic in a nonstick pan. Add water if needed to prevent sticking, but cook away any excess liquid. Combine the textured soy protein, cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix together well. Using 2 Tbs of mixture at a time, form balls and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes at 350° F, turning once. (If you don't want to bake, brown the balls in a nonstick skillet over moderate heat.)

viola! these are yummy and work well in sandwiches aka "meatball subs"

i really like tsp. i dont need to eat things that look or feel like meat, but i do need to eat protein and this is one way i get it.

i have a great tofu parmigiana recipe and a few killer pasta recipes if you would like me to post them.

Posted 2005-08-09 11:15 AM (#29343 - in reply to #17812)

make sure that your worchestershire sauce is vegetarian. most brands contain anchovies!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-09 12:15 PM (#29352 - in reply to #29183)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2005-08-08 11:05 AM

the vegan perspective of dairy seems to be limited, from a health standpoint, to factory farmed, pasturized dairy. add to this the problems of overprocessed or quick processed dairy (fat free stuff in bags), and you get *very* unhealthy and virtually indigestable products. the johns hopkins study in relation to this demonstrated that when people of all populations (male, female, infant to adult, all races) are given pasturized, fat free dairy, more than 90% demonstrate lactose intolerance! but, it was never studied based on raw dairy, which has always been consumed in every other culture--and ours--for centuries. Most vegans overlook raw dairy, it's health benefits, and it's different farming practices (you can't factory farm raw milk--the cleanliness standards of the farm are far greater, and many of the cows and goats are milked by hand--so the herds are smaller too).

realmilk.com has a list of areas that have raw milk. raw milk is illegal in some states, though there is a black market. i'm not advocating black market use. If you're looking for Cheese, Organic Valley is sold across the country. It will be labeled "raw." If you're looking for milk, cream, and butter, it might be harder if you life in a state where it's illegal to sell these products.

In my husband's culture, Milk from the cow is very sacred and has been for thousands of years!! Krishna was the butter thief. Also, In India and Nepal, they always boil the milk after milking it from the cow. In that sense, you could say that it has been pasturized, but it isn't, it is still raw milk. Milk must be boiled, otherwise it might make you sick.

Organic Valley products are not raw, they are Organic and Pasturized.

Here's what Ayurveda says about Milk:

Milk is sweet, cooling and increases kapha. Milk in its many forms can be nectar for the human consumption. However, in Ayurveda, "milk" means milk fresh from a contented cow, and not the medicated, homogenized, ultrapasturized product sold in stores today. (notice the word ULTRAPasturized). A milk fast can relieve many disorders including fever, cough, and hysteria. Milk should be BOILED, as it becomes easier to digest. Ayurveda recommends milk to be taken alone on an empty stomach as a meal in itself. Small babies and those with lactose intolerance should avoid cow's milk. (Which is why I drink Lactaid).
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-09 1:47 PM (#29374 - in reply to #17812)

I didn't know anybody actually bought Worcestershire sauce . . . seems like a half-full bottle comes standard issue with every fridge in the country!

Maybe it's just my family - we buy things for one recipe and then keep the rest of the bottle forever, like a time capsule. Heaven only knows what's lurking in the back of my refrigerator! I'm sure there's plenty of salad dressing that is past its prime. I hate salad dressing, but I have to buy it whenever we have company. Then when company leaves, I think my husband might use it. But come on, who are we kidding - like he's really going to whip up a salad and chow down.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-09 1:58 PM (#29380 - in reply to #29374)

Expert Yogi

I have my 2yr old bottle of Lea & Perrins,

Posted 2005-08-09 3:40 PM (#29391 - in reply to #17812)

cyndi:

most of organic valley's products are pasturized. But, they do have raw cheeses. They are labeled as 'raw' and not pasturized. since i've spoken to the company about this on many occassions, i know it to be true.

home boiling and pasturizing are similar processes with vastly different temperatures and cooking times. the milk is raw because it is no boiled long enough or hot enough to kill all or most of the enzymes--this is also the case in mongolia, northern russian communities (where reindeer are the standard milk-givers), kuridsh peoples and various middle-eastern nomadic tribes, etc. But, not all of the milk is boiled before it is consumed. Generally, it's not even boiled, just heated in cases where it would be boiled. this is also the case of other nomadic groups in africa who maintain herds of milking animals. THere is uncooked milk, raw cheese, heated milk, and sometimes boiled milk (usually to make a cottage cheese like substance). People drink milk straight from the animal, without cooking or heating, all the time.

having had more than a fair share of never-been-boiled raw milk, i can guarentee from my own health that raw milk isn't unhealthy in it's pure form--straight from the animal. This is why the farming standards are different. Of course, it can be unhealthy if the safest farming practices as well as milking practices aren't done.

there's more information at the web site: realmilk.com. it's just a launching point.
tourist
Posted 2005-08-09 9:01 PM (#29448 - in reply to #29374)

Expert Yogi

My grandfather used to say you knew you had been married a long time when you had to buy a new bottle of Lea and Perrins! I think I am on my 2nd or 3rd one...
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-09 10:32 PM (#29464 - in reply to #29448)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2005-08-09 9:01 PM

My grandfather used to say you knew you had been married a long time when you had to buy a new bottle of Lea and Perrins! I think I am on my 2nd or 3rd one...

Oh crap, I don't want to think about this....What's even more funnier is that they have had the same friggin bottle with the same paper wrapping around it that stays on the entire time too!! UNLESS of course you take the bottle on a camping trip, then all the paper melts off in the cooler and you are left only with the red striped tape around the bottle, which means it is also time to buy a new bottle, got to have that wrapping paper, how else are you gonna find it in the frigerator
Firefly
Posted 2005-08-28 3:12 PM (#30493 - in reply to #17812)

LOL how does Lea and Perrins make their money when we buy it soooo infrequently!

This is also a test, I dont seem to be able to get a post to stick
Cyndi
Posted 2005-08-28 6:47 PM (#30498 - in reply to #30493)

Expert Yogi

Your posts are sticking...just fine. I think Lea & Perrins is a household name like Clorox bleach, Comet and Blue Plate Mayonnaise,
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)