YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ball Vs. Mat Vs. Ring
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Bapfreak
Posted 2005-02-10 5:18 PM (#16550)
Subject: Ball Vs. Mat Vs. Ring

How would these three types of Pilates compare? Hypothetically speaking, If you had to do just one of those which would it be?

Also another question, did Joseph pilates create the mat version in addition to the equipment driven versions? I've heard it was created later to facilitate usage among the masses.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samantha77
Posted 2005-02-11 5:59 PM (#16650 - in reply to #16550)
Subject: RE: Ball Vs. Mat Vs. Ring

Extreme Veteran

I am familiar with the mat series, as opposed to the reformer, but I do also really like the ball. As far as I know, Joseph Pilates did create the mat series as well as the reformer.
Samantha
YogaChick
Posted 2005-02-14 11:05 AM (#16871 - in reply to #16550)
Subject: RE: Ball Vs. Mat Vs. Ring

Joseph Pilates did create the original series of 34 mat exercises. The mat series (and variations of the mat work) are popular because they are the easiest Pilates workout to bring to the masses.

Small equipment (such as balls, rings, etc.) can add intensity to your mat workout. Small equipment can also help you with engaging your "powerhouse" and achieving proper form in many of the exercises. I don't consider one piece of small equipment to be "superior" to the others, because each piece can add a different element to your workout. Some pieces of small equipment, like stretchy bands or tubing, are used to simulate the resistance of the springs that are used in larger pieces of equipment.

If you are looking for equipment for home workouts, the ring, tubing, bands, or the small ball are all easier to store than the large ball. If you don't have the benefit of an instructor, then the most important advice I can offer is to CHANGE UP your workout every 2 or 3 months. If you don't change up your workouts, your muscles get used to the same thing over and over. As a result, your progress will stagnate. Two to 3 months gives you time to fine-tune your movements and store them in your "muscle memory" before you move on to something different.

For example: try doing mat Pilates without equipment for a while, then maybe do the ring for 3 months or so, then do the large ball for about 3 months, and maybe the mat workout with no equipment again. (Think about "keeping your muscles guessing" instead of letting them get used to the same thing all the time.)

YogaChick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)