YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Infertility
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-06 11:43 AM (#16199)
Subject: Yoga and Infertility

I am toying with the idea of doing a small workshop (sometime around Mother's Day) for women who either cannot have children, or do not choose to have them. I don't want to frame it as "Yoga to Cure Infertility", I want it to be more like a support group where we can come together and relax, do some yoga, and afterward perhaps enjoy some herbal tea and conversation.

This idea is still really in the formative stages. With Valentine's Day being so close, I'm seeing lots of articles about how it's okay to be single - but you never see anything around Mother's Day telling women it's okay to be childless. Maybe I'm internalizing society's messages too much, but sometimes it seems as though women are not fulfilling their biological obligation if we don't have kids. That's hard on a person's self-esteem. When you live someplace where it seems everyone seems to have kids but you, it's even harder.

I would really welcome everyone's thoughts on what to call this workshop, and what kinds of asanas or other special activities the group could do!

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom and advice!!

Jean
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-06 12:51 PM (#16202 - in reply to #16199)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Infertility

this idea is fantastic because (I apologize that I am not a woman and have less than 100 percent experience):

Any woman who does not have a child will be definitely benefited in a company of another NOT having a child, in many a ways.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-02-07 10:42 AM (#16270 - in reply to #16199)

Expert Yogi

That is a great idea Jean. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to start with something like that though, so no advice here except to say you should be prepared for anything If you have lots of childless by choice women, it might be very empowering and stregthening. If many are infertile and struggling, it could be a whole other ball game. Let us know how it works out!
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-08 2:47 AM (#16320 - in reply to #16199)

i think this is a GREAT idea. have you considered asking a female gyn/ob, psychologist or natropath to be a guest speaker or simply attend? maybe trade them some yoga classes for their time. good luck and keep us posted on this novel idea.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-08 10:25 AM (#16333 - in reply to #16199)

Ooo, I like the name "Childless by Chance, Childless by Choice" for a workshop - what do you think, too dramatic? Thanks Eastern Sun! I'll definitely use that somehow.

I have been wondering about talking to the Nurse Practitioner at my OB/GYN office, but I truly want her help planning a hysterectomy workshop and I don't want to overload her. I may ask for her opinion, and if she sounds very intrigued I will ask if she'd like to attend.

I'd also like to actually have the workshop at my local health food store, if the owner will allow. She is one of those health food store people who's been in the business for a zillion years and knows EVERYTHING. Plus I thought she might give us herbal tea and organic cookies afterward! It would be great for her to get some folks into her shop that might not otherwise stop in.

Being childless myself (a combination of chance and choice), I know very well the issues that have been and continue to be difficult for me. I don't want anyone to try and "fix" me, I want it to be okay to be the way I am. Some of the things I'd like to touch on are:

- Honoring the body; recognizing that it is truly amazing and capable despite its apparent shortcomings (especially the reproductive organs).

- Accepting oneself as whole, complete, and valuable

- Discovering the ways we nurture, appreciating that natural aspect of femininity even without children as an outlet

- Using mudras to access both empowering energy and softening into peaceful acceptance

- Deep relaxation to release stress and tension, and to experience comfort and joy in the body

- Frankly, just being around a group of women who aren't constantly talking about their kids will be a relief!!

As far as asanas, I want to use some of Warrior poses for empowerment, a lot of belly-warming poses (i.e. face down poses like Cobra & Locust, and face up like Boat), hip openers, and heart openers. I daresay everyone within 30 miles of my town is pretty much a beginner, I don't want to make it TOO challenging.

Any other ideas you might recommend? Any thoughts on these (especially if something I should NOT do!)?

Jean
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-08 10:56 AM (#16338 - in reply to #16199)

In my opinion, as previously stated by me, the idea of this workshop is Fantastic. However, making this forum Medical is a BAD idea. You can have Medical Surgeon's participation, but the forum should not focus on this aspect in such a way that all group memebers feel they are

now, childless ladies with Gyn degrees or knowledge.

They should share each other's feelings whatever they are so that they support each other towards Happiness NOT medical treatments.

Regards
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-08 11:18 AM (#16339 - in reply to #16199)

Thank you Neel! I was so hoping you would respond.

I will not contact the OB/GYN for this particular workshop. I will focus it on dealing with what is (emotional, physical, mental) and not on fixing the "problem."

Because there are no problems, right? Only results we do not expect and changes in direction.

Personally, I would love to spend time with other childless women, and I don't want to hear one word about how I could get pregnant. But I did not think of it that way until your posting. I get caught up in trying to be all things to all people, but this really helps me get back on track.

Jean
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-09 11:30 PM (#16483 - in reply to #16199)

I feel bad that I can never be a mother, the highest position on this earth!!!! Because, I am a boy.

Now, for the same reason, why should a lady feel bad.

If one lady who does not have child meets another of the same kind, she will not feel there is any problem with her. She will accept the truth. And, later if there is something she can do about it suuch as go to Gyn, or adopt a child or be a child, she will do it. But, NOT feel bad.

Love and Peace
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)