YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Pilates please help
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

chignonymous
Posted 2004-12-30 8:37 PM (#14148)
Subject: New to Pilates please help

Hello. I'm new to pilates and I seem to have most problem with my neck. Is this because I'm doing the exercises wrongly or because my neck is weak? Should I do the version for people with delicate necks first? And if so, will I still be able to benefit from the workout and see results? Would I eventually be able to progress beyond having to do the delicate neck version? Should I maybe go for 1 or 2 sessions with a pilates instructor before I try to do the exercises at home?

Phew..that's all the questions folks. Thanks everyone
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bliss
Posted 2005-01-02 8:34 AM (#14217 - in reply to #14148)
Subject: RE: New to Pilates please help

your deep neck flexor muscles are probably weak....is it when you do curl-ups (sit ups)? Have you had a neck injury? It is definately always worth having several one on ones with pilates to ensure you have the correct technique....otherwise you may as well join a gym and do what i call fitness pilates....it always shocks me when people come to out studio and say they've been doing pilates for a year...and they show me how they move their body and they havnt a clue....
Go to someone experienced...failing that you could have your neck checked by a good osteopath......
bliss
tourist
Posted 2005-01-02 11:44 AM (#14230 - in reply to #14217)

Expert Yogi

>>it always shocks me when people come to out studio and say they've been doing pilates for a year...and they show me how they move their body and they havnt a clue....<<

Liz - this doesn't surprise me one bit! The Pilates video industry is just about as crazy as the yoga video craze - people just grab a video and go for it without even a remote understanding of the discipline they are attempting. Videos work much better once a person has a clue about what they are doing. An example - DH and I tried to learn dance moves from videos - pathetic failure! Now that we have had a few years of classes, we can pick up moves from videos and just get a bit of fine tuning from our teachers.

As I understand Pilates (from a teacher who studied with JP himself), a new student should actually spend a LOT of time one on one with a teacher before they move on to working alone or in a group setting. it is very, very precise work and needs to be carefully monitored to be sure the form and alignment are correct. If I wasn't so into yoga, I am sure I would have loved Pilates - wonderful work!
chignonymous
Posted 2005-01-02 5:19 PM (#14237 - in reply to #14148)

thanks a lot Bliss and Tourist. I did a workout yesterday and now my neck is aching I hope I'll be able to find a good Pilates instructor in my area!

Happy new year everyone!
itchytummy
Posted 2005-01-03 5:17 PM (#14281 - in reply to #14148)

A qualified pilates instructor can probably tell you what you need to know. Because the people here in the forum have not watched you do pilates, we can't tell you what you need to work on and what your issues are. My advice is go to an instructor and he or she can tell you what's going on by observation. It doesn't hurt to ask questions too. Have fun on your pilates adventure.
throwtoy
Posted 2005-01-07 9:39 AM (#14465 - in reply to #14148)

there are many reasons as to why your neck could hurt. what exercises are really bothering you? it's best to work with someone one on one especially if you feel pain. you should STOP IMMEDIATELY if you're feeeling pain as well. there are some modification depending on the exercise as well. you could be tightening your shoulders, lifting your neck the wrong way, lifting with your chin instead of curling up a bit, so as you see many different reasons. is there a studio or class you could go to?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)