YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anusara and Siddha Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

Kalidas
Posted 2004-11-21 4:42 PM (#12648)
Subject: Anusara and Siddha Yoga

Namaste. I am interested in Anusara yoga, have practiced Iyengar and other styles for a few years. However, I am wondering if anyone here knows if there is any push among Anusara teachers for students of Anusara to embrace Siddha Yoga or Gurumayi. John Friend lists Gurumayi as a major influence. Anyone who has been around the spiritual block has probably heard the severe criticisms of Gurumayi and Muktananda that are out there, usually put forth by people who were betrayed by one or both. The horror stories surrounding the Siddha Yoga organization are abundant enough to raise the red flag of "look before you leap". All of the principles I have read about Anusara seem sound and attractive, John Friend appears to be a highly accomplished yoga teacher and genuine good guy. His yoga has a beautiful vibe. It just strikes me as a little surprising that Gurumayi is cited as a major influence for his yoga, and that John spends a lot of time at her ashram. Maybe she isn't as bad as reported, who knows? I don't care if others have her or anyone else as a guru, but wouldn't want to necessarily hear that brand of spirituality touted in a yoga class. Tantra, great, Advaita Vedanta, yes sir...but Gurumayi and Siddha Yoga, that would be off-putting for me. Hopefully there is no real concern about this, any reply based on experience will be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-22 2:38 PM (#12695 - in reply to #12648)
Subject: RE: Anusara and Siddha Yoga

I think you're pretty safe in Anusra. JF is very grateful for his spiritual path and shares what he has learned and experienced openly.

I suggest you take a few workshops or classes with him or some of his certified teachers. You'll find that although JF's background is one thing, there is room in Anusara for each person's individual spiritualism.

Keep in mind what we hear and what is or was can be two, very different animals. People love to share and embelish the negative, while the positive things are lost in the mud slinging. I am not saying the whole Siddha yoga "scandal" is unfounded, but keep in mind that the yoga and philosophy stand on their own. Note that Kripalu remains a beautiful, effective method, Rodney Yee remains a fabulous teacher, Pattabhi continues to share Ashtanga and many of the other negative things that have happened in the Western yoga community have been unable to tarnish the actual spiritualism and practice themselves.

Remind yourself that men/women are not the yoga. They are human and carry human foibles such as ego and the "it's OK because it is I" syndrome. This was brought home to me when I was molested by a teacher. Although I had not looked upon this man as my guru, I did respect him for his accomplisments. When we elevate a human to represent our epitome of great or spiritual, though, we set ourselves up for disappointment if not deeper, sadly self-created betrayals. There are many great souls out there taking the seat of the teacher. Those who can set aside their own indulgent egos and live the life they themselves love and respect are indeed stronger, perhaps more awakened people. Nonetheless, they are not the yoga, the history, nor the philosophy of the ages. They merely offer us the opportunity to learn.

Experience and experiment with Anusara. For me, Anusara added the beauty back into my own practice. Ashtanga is very solitary, where Anusara offers me options of community, spiritual ideas, and positive thinking. We are all born beautiful and perfect. It is maya that we find our own selves less.

To quote Al-Anon? Take what you want and leave the rest. It is what JF might also suggest. Not everyone's path to the divine is the same.

Christine
Kalidas
Posted 2004-11-22 4:32 PM (#12700 - in reply to #12695)

A beautiful and thoughtful reply, Christine, one that shows an understanding of my concern and also a great understanding of the whole guru deal. I have been on a spiritual journey (search) for years, which has taken me to India several times, and I have spent much time with various gurus, teachers and among sincere fellow seekers from all over the world. I have known the dissapointment you mention when I made the guru God, as is the Hindu way. I have also been blessed to be with some great masters who were unassuming, non-egotistical and not sexual preditors or control addicts. I tend to respect them more than the other type. You are right, some yoga schools and organizations have survived the taint of scandal, caused by their chief teacher. It is always there, though, even if diminished in time. Too bad offending teachers can't see that before they cross the line, but as you said, they are human. I was fortunate to finally meet the one who was not my Guru, but my Friend. She showed me the end of searching, finally and forever. This is the main reason I resist any guru being part of my yoga practice, I just don't need one anymore, thank God. If Gurumayi gave JF good things, and continues to do so, then that may be all that matters, the proof is in the pudding. I will keep an open mind, and give Anusara a fair shake. I like that open hearted approach, I love Iyengar, but sometimes it is just a tad dry, n'est-ce pas?

Respectfully, Kalidas
tourist
Posted 2004-11-22 8:24 PM (#12724 - in reply to #12700)

Expert Yogi

Kalidas, I always feel the urge to respond when people mention Iyengar being dry or not "friendly." I have indeed heard stories that confirm that notion but I like to put it out there that not all Iyengar is dry and "strict". My own teachers are always joyful and funny and encouraging, as I myself try to be

Enjoy your explorations!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-22 9:10 PM (#12728 - in reply to #12700)

Then you understood from where I was coing, Kalidas. Good. I can't tell you there are not those who elevate JF to sainthood, because there are. But it's not a requirement to practice Anusara.

It sounds like you have had wonderful experiences. I would suggest you open to the concept of guru again. You don't need to accept a single person as your one and only, or close off the idea that at another place in your life another might appear, right? Who knows. Since everyone has something to teach us, perhaps another someone might become more of a friend/guru again. For a different time, different place, different path, different purpose.

I happen to agree with you about Iyengar yoga, but as tourist indicated, it might be our teachers. Here, there is one major, huge, famous, renown Iyengar studio owner. He teaches in the traditional Indian manner which I find very akin to verbal abuse. (Sorry. I did domestic violence counseling for years and it wore me out. I'm very sensitive to control tactics.) It also tends to be clinical, dry, and disapproving. I happen to think Tourist lucked out and believe her teachers might not be the only ones in the Iyengar world who find joy teaching. Nonetheless, I value my Iyengar instruction and with a schedule change at the Ashtanga studio, I'm going to go back and take a Level III again on Sunday mornings.

Anyway. Enjoy your Anusara experience. I think you'll find it does feed your soul in nice ways.
Plus, those darned loops and spirals make the Iyengar system make sense and always work!

C.
Kalidas
Posted 2004-11-22 9:26 PM (#12729 - in reply to #12724)

Thanks for your thoughts, Tourist, actually, my Iyengar teachers are all friendly, highly skilled and great to take yoga from. One is much tougher than the others, but he has a good sense of humor. I like Iyengar yoga a lot, it is all I do right now. The 'dry' part just goes to my years of practicing bhakti yoga. So Anusara, with it's emphasis on heart opening sounds appealing, as does the simpler means of expressing alignment. I originally took Iyengar just to improve my alignment in the asanas, no plan to make it my sole yoga. That just happened. I know Iyengar is the one system that actually takes the student to Atma Darshan in the end, and that is where the spiritual dimension really is addressed. I reap great benefits from Iyengar yoga, and will probably keep it as my main focus. The use of props has been extremely uselful for me as well.
Namaste, KDas.
Kalidas
Posted 2004-11-22 9:43 PM (#12731 - in reply to #12728)

Thanks Christine, all I can say is, once it happened, once I had the profound good fortune to find the one who could stop my seeking once and for all, I knew without a doubt that no guru would ever be necessary again. In fact a guru would be absurdly extraneous. It may take a seeker to understand this. A seeker is a rare bird. We (seekers) cannot stop looking for some sort of final understanding, we have to have it. It is an obsession that becomes the sole aim of life. Union, Awakening, Enlightenment, all of these words that in the end are meaningless, are our driving force. It is like being an alcoholic. There is no control, we are driven. We must have this thing. That is what has stopped once and for all for me. Of course there is always more to learn, people to learn from. I use guru in the Sat-guru sense, so when I say no more gurus, that is what I mean. I liked what you said about the "concept of guru", for that One is indeed within, and staying open to It is important and a never ending, always expanding joy. As far as hatha yoga and all things related, I could learn from just about anybody, and gladly do.
Namaste Kalidas
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-24 7:52 AM (#12811 - in reply to #12731)

The John Friend/Anusara newsletter just came out and I thought of you immediately with this article on Anusara Philosophy. Here is the blurb:

"I have received very positive response to the last Anusara newsletter and the announcement that we have made a new, clear distinction between Anusara philosophy and Rajanaka Tantra which will allow both closely related systems to further flourish. At the same time a couple of main questions arose from some of our teachers. To further clarify the connection between Anusara and Rajanaka I offer the following two questions and answers: "

and I will offer you the link to the remainder of the article here.

I think you'll find this interesting.
Christine
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-24 1:19 PM (#12823 - in reply to #12811)

Thanks for that link, Christine. I didn't realize there was a whole Anusara philosophy to go along w/ the physical practice... veryinteresting reading.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-11-24 1:56 PM (#12824 - in reply to #12823)

Then you'd forgotten the other limbs of yoga, right?

Yoga is the whole package. It's what we choose to take from it at any given point in our lives is what makes us interesting and unique, while influencing how and where we go on our life and yogic path.

My own pragmatism frequently prevents me from joining into group spiritualism. However, there are things in the Anusara tradition that speak to me, as does the silent focus of Ashtanga, the alignment of Ieygnar, the lifestyle of Sivananda, and so on. But I like to read about it in case today something new clicks.

Asana is not the whole picture! Neither is it simply pranayama. Service. Devotion. and so on.
C.
Gruvemom
Posted 2004-11-25 12:59 PM (#12879 - in reply to #12824)

there are things in the Anusara tradition that speak to me, as does the silent focus of Ashtanga,..."

I usually just think of the "philosophy" part as being of yoga as a whole instead of each form having it's own philosophy. But I get what you mean from your post... no I didnt' forget the other limbs!
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-06 2:12 PM (#23659 - in reply to #12648)

kd and christine - this issue was a concern of mine as well. christine, i just wrote you on the forum titled - iyengar vs ashtanga vs others - as i was trying to understand whether my new patha of yoga studies was to be iyengar or anusara. i neglected to mention my *concern* re: siddha yoga as i study tibetan buddhist dharma. and i have friends who have left siddha yoga blah blah blah.

thanks again!

fujirox
elson
Posted 2005-05-14 4:42 AM (#24084 - in reply to #12648)

Just some random comments, from practicing Anusara for a couple of years...

Anusara Rocks!

For me, the physical difference is the shift from attempting to achieve a particular visual form, to working to achieve the optimum balance of forces. The more I practice, the more marked this difference becomes. Most Ashtangis don't care about form, and most Iyengar yogis are all about form, but Anusara is about the dance :-).

Of the 6 or 7 Anusara teachers that I have studied with, _all_ have been extraordinarily positive. Indeed, positive reinforcement is muchly emphasized in the Teacher Training manual, and this makes a huge difference. Not that other teachers that I have had are negative or discouraging, but Anusara instructors almost never correct in a negative way, and they are always complimenting. Makes a huge difference in the whole class experience.

I also value and enjoy my friendships in the kula.

The alignment principles work very well for me, and practicing them has given me wild growth in my practice in the last couple of years. I'm having more fun with asana than I ever have.

I have a different religion and worldview and philosophy than John (I am a Christian), but I can affirm many of the principles of his philosophy, even though I disagree radically with the root of Anusara philosophy. My philosophical/religious stance is not a problem, so yours certainly shouldn't be :-).

I have found Anusara instructors and "serious" students to be warm, friendly, open, giving, loving, and playful. It's a good vibe :-).

Cheers.....................
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-17 10:36 PM (#24297 - in reply to #12648)

elson -

thanks so much for that response. it got me SUPER EXCITED to leap into full-immersion anusara studies. i've been having commitment issues, chosing the *right* system to study to be a highly skilled and knowledgeable teacher and a *better* student. thanks heaps for the inspiration and your insights.

best -

fujirox
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-18 10:26 AM (#24332 - in reply to #24297)

Fujirox - Good luck on your Anusara journey... the process to become certified looks like a lengthy and rigorous one!
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-18 7:44 PM (#24362 - in reply to #12648)

elson - you be a funny one

thanks for your message!

best -

fujirox
Kabu
Posted 2005-05-22 11:38 AM (#24527 - in reply to #24084)

I'm a beginner, and I've started with Anusara. I love my teachers.

And what Elson said about "the dance" is so true. The atmosphere is very light yet effective, very celebratory.
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-23 7:02 AM (#24552 - in reply to #12648)

sounds great, kabu! i'm starting anusara this week. 126 miles each way - yikes! ya gotta do what ya gotta DO, right?

best -

fujirox
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-23 7:05 AM (#24553 - in reply to #24552)

Fuji, are you going to Anusara classes or are you doing TT? We have a student that drives about 3+ hours each way to take Anusara.melissa
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-23 8:43 AM (#24556 - in reply to #12648)

hey gruvemom - i'll be taking classes, once a week. the teacher in the orlando area is a super fine human being and yogi. i've taken a workshop with him a few years ago as well as had some bodywork when i lived in that area. he walks the talk. he's my closest option as gainesville has no anusara teacher(s). i'm really inspired to hear about your friend who makes the hike as well. i'll remind myself of that when the going gets rough!

gracias!!!

fujirox
Kabu
Posted 2005-05-23 12:18 PM (#24562 - in reply to #24556)

Yikes, that's quite a drive. Our studio is about an hour away, depending on traffic.

I keep hoping either Sylvia will move her studio South, or we'll pick up and move North eventually.

Watch...they'll probably both happen at the same time.
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-23 12:49 PM (#24565 - in reply to #12648)

where do you live kabu?
Kabu
Posted 2005-05-23 4:12 PM (#24573 - in reply to #24565)

I live in a Northwest suburb of Chicago (Des Plaines). Total Body Yoga is about 45 minutes away, but with traffic it bumps up to an hour sometimes.

It's such a bummer, because I have to jump through hoops just to get time to go to class. It's worth it though.
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-23 8:26 PM (#24581 - in reply to #24573)

Fuji, my friend drives from Melbourne, FL to S Broward for the class! I PM'd you
fujirox
Posted 2005-05-23 9:01 PM (#24584 - in reply to #12648)

okay, WHERE is there anusara in so. broward??? i recently moved from broward and only found anusara in miami. fill me in, please

Gracias!!!

fujirox
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)