YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Menstruation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-17 12:53 PM (#12355)
Subject: Menstruation

I know it's common knowledge that inversions should not be practiced during "a visit from Aunt Flow" because it disturbs the natural apana, or downward flow of energy, but I know people who do inversions anyway and they still feel fine and say that they don't experience any adverse effects. What are your opinions about inversions during menstruation and why?

Edited by itchytummy 2004-11-17 12:54 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-17 4:02 PM (#12370 - in reply to #12355)
Subject: RE: Menstruation

1. this topic was covered in the past. please see whether this can be found.

2. this has nothing to do with apana or downward energy. it has to do with menstrual flow being put int to the abdomenal cavity causing infection.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-17 5:48 PM (#12389 - in reply to #12370)

I've read the other posts regarding this topic already. I just wanted to gather more opinions regarding this as it wasn't covered too in depth in other threads of similar topics that I've seen. By the way, there are people who believe doing inversions during a menstrual period has to do w/ apana. The following article in Yoga Journal explains it a little.

http://www.yogajournal.com/newtoyoga/831_1.cfm

Thank you for the opinion, though, that's exactly what I wanted, now I know another reason why some people don't think inversions are good during menstruation.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-17 6:46 PM (#12409 - in reply to #12355)

Thanks. I shall read the article in the Yoga Journal. But, I can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with the Apana. The reason why some can do it without distress is that their tube (forgot the name) is strong and contracts during the inversion not letting the flow expose to the abdomen.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-17 6:58 PM (#12411 - in reply to #12409)

kulkarnn - 2004-11-17 3:46 PM

Thanks. I shall read the article in the Yoga Journal. But, I can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with the Apana. The reason why some can do it without distress is that their tube (forgot the name) is strong and contracts during the inversion not letting the flow expose to the abdomen.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Did you mean fallopian tubes? The explanation for why some people can do inversions during menstruation is very interesting. I guess there's always an exception to the rule. Thank you.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-11-17 9:56 PM (#12425 - in reply to #12411)

Expert Yogi

The older posts mention several books that have come from the Iyengar community
which address this subject. They include: one by Patricia Walden and Linda Sparrowe
called, roughly, "Yoga for Women"; one by Geeta Iyengar called "Yoga: a Gem for Women";
and a third by Patricia Walden called something like "Yoga for a Healthy Menstrual Cycle".

I can't say that I've read any of these, beyond flipping through them in the bookstore.

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-18 10:11 AM (#12457 - in reply to #12355)

I think 'fallopian tube' is a correct name, but I do not wish to promise and go only bby the name. i am sure there is a tube.

The explanation why some people contract during inversion is as follows.

When anyone does anything wrong, the inherent subconcious or system in general tries to counteract it. For example when you try to eat through nose, probably it will sneeze loudly so that no food should pass through nose. Similarly, with the inverted menstrual flow.

Now, the system of this contract can be strong, med or weak. Also, depending on how long one does the inversion, the system may be able to resist. But, it will try to resist any how.

But, that does not mean one should do inversion during menstruation. Actually, it means one should not. And, one should do some other things during that time.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2004-11-18 10:44 AM (#12466 - in reply to #12355)

Expert Yogi

Geeta Iyengar, probably the one of the first women to practice so long with such a renowned teacher, is actually becoming more and more adamant about not practicing inversions, twists and strong, althletic poses during menstruation over the years. My feeling is that Indians do enjoy colourful and expressive English - she says "do these things at your PERIL!"

Bear in mind that she not only teaches thousands of students every year but is also an Ayurvedic doctor so she has a unique perspective that should be respected and given serious weight. My usual comment that we westerners are poster children for the mind-body disconnect still stands. Practicing asana for 6 months, 6 years and thinking we are deeply in touch with our bodies does not give us an iota of information compared to hers.

That being said, I think there is still research to be done and personal experience to consider but so far pretty much all the research into yoga have proved the old-time yogis were on the right track. Who are we to contradict them? Personally, my tamasic body enjoys the break and the permission to lie on my bolster for a week
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-19 7:59 PM (#12584 - in reply to #12370)

kulkarnn - 2004-11-17 1:02 PM
it has to do with menstrual flow being put int to the abdomenal cavity causing infection.

Regarding the infection opinion, you might want to read the following article as it is contrary to what you wrote. It may be interesting to read a different opinion.

http://www.yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_document.asp?ID=74§ion=9&cat=93
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-11-19 8:51 PM (#12589 - in reply to #12355)

I went to a Gyancological Sergeon in Calcutta. His wife also is the same. They offered me to witness a gynacological operation while in Calcutta. However, that has not happened yet. But, he performs everyday at least one gyn surgery and has gold medal from Calcutta University, which is more difficult to get than in USA/Europe, due to Population competition. He delivers many a babies in a year.

He is the one who gave that explanation. But, I shall see the website. Thanks for it.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-19 9:08 PM (#12591 - in reply to #12589)

Ha! Here we go again! I'm not disagreeing with you. Actually, I have no opinion on the subject. I just like to see other peoples' opinions a lot. Who's to say whether or not someone's right or wrong? People think different things on a lot of subjects, just thought you'd find it interesting to see another opinion. That's the reason why I visit the forums. To me different views = new insights.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-02 3:24 PM (#15930 - in reply to #12355)

This is a very interesting discussion for me to read as well, because I discovered yoga through my endless search for relief from terrible menstrual pain. I did not know at the time, but it turned out that I have very severe endometriosis. This is when the lining of the uterus, also called endometrium, begins to grow in other parts of the body - usually in the abdomen but it is possible to grow anywhere. So far I have lost one ovary, one fallopian tube, my appendix, and some small parts of the intestine due to this rotten disease. I am going in for more surgery next Friday, in fact, because it is now growing in the scar tissue that was left from previous surgeries.

Neel - is this what you mean by "infections" in the abdomen? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

The irony is, now that I have read so much about NOT doing inversions during menstruation, for some reason my body wants very badly to invert during that week of PMS and flow! All I can figure is that the menstrual cycle causes me to feel very fatigued and I need to do something energizing. I'm not sure why else I'd want to do something that is very likely to be detrimental to my health, other than the fact that I'm just an ornery kind of person!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-02 5:22 PM (#15942 - in reply to #12355)

jeans yoga:
Yes the menses and the fluid go in the other direction. But, this is true only if you do the poses for a long time, just of a minute or so would be no problem.

Now, from your email, I wish to suggest that you take complete rest during your period when you feel tired. Do NOT exercise to feel energetic.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-02-02 6:56 PM (#15966 - in reply to #15930)

Expert Yogi

Jean - it is like going on a diet - as soon as you say you aren't going to eat this or that, it is exactly what you crave! Inversions before and after the actual flow are essential. Nothing relieves the dullness and heaviness of PMS like a good long headstand, unless you have ropes or an inversion table and can go upside down that way. Do you have a good menstrual practice? There are several ways to approach it and you can customise somewhat. I find that if I feel very tired and fatigued, the forward bending sequences are just not appropriate and I have to move more into opening poses such as supta virasana, supta baddhakonasana, viparita dandasana in a chair etc. I agree with Neel that rest is good and sometimes it is the best medicine, but I can "rest" so much I become more or less inert and that is not helping my body one bit!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-02 9:00 PM (#15971 - in reply to #12355)

I do to do some gentle chest openers, belly massages, and try to stretch my hips because they become very very tight (my lower back gets VERY sore, so my favorite forward bends don't feel so great afterward). Rest is pretty hard to come by when you work full-time at a busy office and teach yoga 3 nights a week! I do try to have schedule something restful, like Yoga Nidra, but it's not always possible. In my restorative poses at home, I'm always joined by at least 1 dog and 2 or more cats! It would be very sweet if they would just hold still for 2 seconds!

How do other teachers work with this issue, when your personal needs conflict with your teaching schedule? Do you just talk students through the poses without demonstrating? I am weak in this area of my teaching, and I have to get better at it FAST because I'm having that surgery next week and the classes cannot be cancelled!
easternsun
Posted 2005-02-03 3:09 AM (#15990 - in reply to #15971)

jeansyoga - 2005-02-04 11:00 AM

How do other teachers work with this issue, when your personal needs conflict with your teaching schedule? Do you just talk students through the poses without demonstrating? I am weak in this area of my teaching, and I have to get better at it FAST because I'm having that surgery next week and the classes cannot be cancelled!

i actually tell them the truth, they understand. honestly, the first day i am so wiped out that i cannot practice anything at all. by the second day, i can do a "menstral" practice. when you think about it, your body really does need that restoration.

i ask my students to tell me when they have menses and i adjust the class accordingly. (though i am sure some of them are not telling me!!)

when i was in india i was not permitted to practice for the whole week (or however long it lasted) but i still had to get up at 430 am for classes......for observation purposes. talk about a b&%chy yogini!!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-03 6:34 AM (#15996 - in reply to #12355)

LOL!! I pity the fool that wakes me up at 4:30 on the first day of my period! Although my mood is far worse the week beforehand - anyone who gets between me and my chocolate-covered pretzels is at risk of permanent bodily harm!

Thank you so much for the advice . . . once I told one of my teachers before class that I was having a very heavy, uncomfortable flow, and she was ever so grateful to know. That setup was such that she could check students in before we went into the practice room, and I don't have anything like that for my students. I would certainly not expect people to raise their hands in front of the class to acknowledge they are menstruating! Maybe I should change the way I welcome people, to give them an opportunity to ask anything in private before class starts. Hmmm . . . I will have to figure out how to make this work.

This forum is such a valuable resource! Thank you all for your great tips and ideas!
tourist
Posted 2005-02-03 10:25 AM (#16016 - in reply to #15996)

Expert Yogi

Jean, I try to have a few minutes on my mat checking attendance and stuff as students come in so they can just sort of drop by and tell me things like that. For beginners I don't make too much of a fuss about it since we don't invert too much or do deep twists etc. When we do come to shoulder stand, I just ask everyone in the class to come into one area if they are "menstruating, have neck issues or whatever" and not going upside down. So when it is all grouped together like that they aren't so embarrassed. By Level II they are usually pretty cool with it. My current Level II class is all women so we are a bit more frank about what is going on and I have sometimes asked someone else to demo for me. It is good to learn how to get a volunteer for demos because as you have found, there are sometimes other reasons for you not being able to do them.

It sounds like you could use a personalised menstrual and pre-mense practice, not to mention a way to practice without your furry friends causing to much disruption Upavista konasana and baddhakonasana with your back against a support can be really nice and you don't have to lie down.

And nobody better wake me at 4:30 am at all!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)