YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram post Hysterectomy
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

sunnymiamigirl
Posted 2004-11-16 8:42 PM (#12311)
Subject: Bikram post Hysterectomy

I'm going to take my first class tomorrow...I had a total hysterectomy about 7 months ago and want to try to get back into shape...I still get hot flashes...I refuse to take artificial hormone replacements...I am just wondering if any of you had any problems post menopause...BTW...I'm 35 y/o.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2004-11-16 10:06 PM (#12320 - in reply to #12311)
Subject: RE: Bikram post Hysterectomy

Expert Yogi

I don't know much about Bikram and I have yet to have a hot flash, but from what I have heard you are about to experience a 90 minute hot flash! Why Bikram? What else are you doing to levelize your hormones?
sunnymiamigirl
Posted 2004-11-16 11:37 PM (#12330 - in reply to #12320)

tourist - 2004-11-16 10:06 PM

I don't know much about Bikram and I have yet to have a hot flash, but from what I have heard you are about to experience a 90 minute hot flash! Why Bikram? What else are you doing to levelize your hormones?

Bikram seems like a challenge to me, and I like challenges...also the fact that there is a studio in my neighborhood.
I am not taking anything hormonal right now..have been reading about natural soy replacements out there that I may try.
Gracie
Posted 2005-03-11 10:43 PM (#18797 - in reply to #12311)

Actually, my mom is going through menopause (and she had some pre-menopausal issues in her 40's), and she practices Bikram Yoga too. She was always extremely active, and loves this type of yoga. She's had some challenges with the heat, I must admit.

On a side note, I strongly suggest that you examine the advice you receive with this question Case in point, a certain poster here at yoga.com that has NEVER tried Bikram yoga, yet likes to give advice against it). I'm not quite sure where her "expertise" comes from, but I plan on getting to the bottom of this issue
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-12 9:39 AM (#18833 - in reply to #18797)

Expert Yogi

Hi Gracie and all,

I'm in my 40's and love Bikram. I think Bikram is what is keeping me from having to go through menopause early..I still have a few years before I want to do that:~) But seriously, after getting used to the heat, you should be fine. Go read about the heat issues on the Bikram forum..I posted my $5 worth too! Although, I would tread there with caution:~) One thing I will say, I do Traditional Chinese Medicine and I posted about my doctor saying it was okay for this practice and to do it in heat. Then someone wanted me to get some proof about it. Well, yesterday I was at my Chinese Doctors office and asked him again. His comment to me was..Yes, YOU Cyndi can practice this...but, I would not say that to everyone. It all depends on your Constitution and getting it balanced while your doing it. If you have problems with heat, work on your constitution and from that knowing, you can practice without having difficulty with heat. Good luck with your practice. I do it at home most of the time at around 100 degrees.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-12 10:23 AM (#18843 - in reply to #18797)

Expert Yogi

Gracie - are you referring to me by chance? I have never advised against it, simply expressed my own preference and suggested to others that if they are sensitive to heat or prone to migraines they should think twice. Cautions and warnings are just that - not the same as "don't do this!" I would also suggest anyone with MS not do hot yoga because their symptoms are known to be worse in heat. Would you say "go ahead and try it, you might like it" to a person with MS when you know it would increase their pain and suffering? Yes, it amazes me that people love all that heat and sweat but it also amazes me that people can eat escargot or watch horror movies. I'm not recommending that they don't do it, no matter how crazy I think they are.

And if you aren't reffering to me, as Emily Littela would say...."never mind!"
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-12 10:48 AM (#18844 - in reply to #12311)

My two cents . . . certainly try Bikram if you are drawn to it, but please don't get discouraged if you decide it's not for you! Yoga can be just wonderful for easing the symptoms of menopause, but you might need a gentler style at first. Especially since your body had such a quick change instead of the natural, slow hormonal changes that many women go through. It's a bit of a shock to the system!

So, try whatever interests you, but if it doesn't turn out the way that you hoped, try something else! I know there is some kind of yoga out there for you that will challenge you AND provide the benefits your body needs right now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)