YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Loss of Flexibilty, and injury?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Kush
Posted 2004-09-21 6:53 PM (#10176)
Subject: Loss of Flexibilty, and injury?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kush
Posted 2004-09-21 8:01 PM (#10179 - in reply to #10176)
Subject: RE: Loss of Flexibilty, and injury?

Hello. The first post came out blank. I am wondering if the combination of sciatica and having torn a ligament calf (now healed) could be the cause behind a loss of flexibilty in my legs; a kind of a restriction, tightness when stretching or any such movements. I read once that doing a lot of forward bends can have an adverse effect on the hamstrings after a while. I am back to a regular yoga practice (which includes timely, gentle and progressive warm-up) but even then I come away from my yoga session feeling like an "old" person once I am warmed down and my flexibilty seems to improve but then it goes back to square one like the progress never happened.

Thanks
YogaGuy
Posted 2004-09-22 12:58 PM (#10199 - in reply to #10176)

Kush

Connective tissues such as tendons and ligaments do not have the same elasticity as the muscle fibre. Therefore a comprimised tendon in your calf will certainly limit your flexibility. However, there is no reason to believe that you won't achieve greater flexibility over time.

Remember that flexibility is not something achieved in the short term and cannot be achieved by willpower and brute force. You must practice consistantly over a long period of time. Cells in your body (muscle, tendons, ligaments, etc.) take time to adapt and grow. Keep practicing and don't get frustrated.

Best of luck.

PS - I also responded to another post of yours somewhere on here...
Kush
Posted 2004-09-22 4:43 PM (#10210 - in reply to #10176)

Yogaguy Thanks for replies! . I'm guess its best to take the perspectivee to be patient and be gratefull for my progresses along the way and at the same time see what my body and practice have to tell me in the process.

Thanks again!.
naturally
Posted 2004-09-23 12:28 PM (#10236 - in reply to #10179)

Kush, you may want to look into some supplements that are reported as especially beneficial for connective tissues. Things like glucosomine, MSM, omega 3 oils(stick with a source from fish, not flax), and Vit. E all may helpful.
Be Well
Alvin
Posted 2004-12-07 7:26 AM (#13310 - in reply to #10176)

Spot on. Supplements with Zinc, Magnesium, Glucosamine, Chondroitin and Calcium are the best way to go long term, not to mention a great all purpose multi vitamin.

What have you tried for it so far?

Alvin
Kush
Posted 2004-12-07 6:01 PM (#13330 - in reply to #10176)

Hi...well I've really delved into all of those you mentioned: minerals, supplement, and more....problem is I can't always afford to maintain it monetarily. Whenever I can I do try eat foods that aid and to stock up supplementaly. I have recently been experimenting with my yoga workout and found that a day or two of rest or just low impact warming up..,no yoga or heavy stuff, can be helpfull though not the magic pill since even within that I have times of feeling rickety. Thanks for all input.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)