YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bladder prolapse/pelvic floor muscles
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

newtoyoga
Posted 2004-08-29 4:47 PM (#9520)
Subject: bladder prolapse/pelvic floor muscles

I have been told that Yoga is not good for someone with weak pelvic floor muscles. I have mild bladder prolapse. Recently started doing yoga and love it. I have been doing some type of exercise almost all my life. Realizing that aerobics is not the best thing for pelvic floor muscles I moved to the relaxing stretching of yoga. I must admit in a short time I am able to do most poses without too much problem but am now concerned about damaging my pelvic floor muscles further. Anyone else have any problems with this or suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by newtoyoga 2004-08-29 4:50 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-08-29 11:27 PM (#9525 - in reply to #9520)
Subject: RE: bladder prolapse/pelvic floor muscles

Please see my answer below with all points:

1. The suggestion you got is Actually Wrong, but in one way correct.

2. It is correct in the sense that if you do all Yoga Poses as taught in the Books or an Inexperienced Yoga Teacher, it can harm your health. Also, if you are an aggressive or competitive mentality, many times found in the modern world, then also you can harm yourself.

3. But, in the fact, considering your situation, and in a factual sense, Yoga is the BEST and ONLY correct exercise for you. Because, in real Yoga Exercise, you focus your mind inside yourself, watch all parts for ability etc. and then adjust your pose to your own requirements. If you do this, then YOGA is the only best exercise for you.

4. Now, you need to learn this from an Experienced Source and also in Person so that the person can watch you while doing.

I wish you all the best.
neel kulkarni

www.authenticyoga.org
Mangalkrishna
Posted 2005-05-30 1:46 PM (#24807 - in reply to #9520)

Yes, You must avoid some streneous yoga asanas. For weak pelvic floor muscle, please try Sahajoli kriya in Butterfuly Pose or Vajrasana i.e. Kegel's exercise for PC muscle - highly beneficial for females.

Good Luck and take care,

mangalkrishna

Jonathan108
Posted 2005-10-31 12:36 PM (#35505 - in reply to #9520)
Subject: RE: bladder prolapse/pelvic fl

I recently had a letter to the editor of Yoga International published on this subject. I will copy it here, because it reveals a little-known secret about Yoga’s ability to prevent and minimize pelvic floor prolapse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piel doesn't like advertising.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-31 1:03 PM (#35509 - in reply to #35505)

Expert Yogi

Hi Jonathan,

That's an interesting concept and as I agree with this - I enjoyed the website. The question now is...How do you squat on a toilet?? I haven't mastered that one yet!!

Seriously, when I go hiking in the woods and/or camping, this is how we do it. I always felt my sense of being totally alive and well was partly due to having this type of elimination (squatting in the woods) and plus all the exercise that you get from being in the great outdoors and back to nature.

Also, in my husband's culture in Nepal, this is how it is done...and you take along a bottle of water to wash up with instead of paper. Funny, the Nepalis people think we Americans are dirty with our toilet paper habits, which is why in certain temples in Nepal, Americans are not allowed in them because of their dirty "butts",
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-10-31 1:20 PM (#35515 - in reply to #9520)

Hello newtoyoga,

You getting great advice from the above posters. Yoga is EXCELLENT for pelvic muscles. I agree with Neel about finding an excellent, well trained teacher. In other words - The Real Deal!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-31 1:45 PM (#35520 - in reply to #35509)

Cyndi - 2005-10-31 1:03 PM  The question now is...How do you squat on a toilet?? I haven't mastered that one yet!!

If you look at the rest of the site they have a platform that they're selling to help you with this.  Unfortunately, this undermines the rest of the posters comments, since it appears that this is an attempt to push their dubious merchanise.  (The platform looks really rickety)  I'm glad you said something or I would have dismissed the whole thing out of hand.  Now I'm going to at least try it once or twice.

It also occurs to me that traditional Japanese toilets are also glorified holes in the floor to allow people to squat.  OTOH, I've also heard that westernization is starting to cause these to disappear.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-31 2:40 PM (#35522 - in reply to #35520)

Expert Yogi

Well GJ, I was replying in a "natural" way...I didn't realize that it was an ad, heehee. It really would be hard to stand/squat on a toilet seat. Perhaps we should call this a Toiletasana,

Frankly, I'd rather just go out and and be like a bear and $hit in the woods, It just gets mighty cold up here in the mountains for that and you city people would get put in jail for eliminating on the streets,
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-10-31 3:34 PM (#35533 - in reply to #9520)

I don't know, Green Jello. That device looks kind of neato. I've been using a footstool which is much more comfortable to me than not having one. The thing with off-the-wall devices is that it's weird for visitors, like in-laws who already might think you-know-who is weird.

One other downside of that device is what if I fall off in the middle of the night?

I like the hole in the floor. To tell the truth, I'd like a beday (not sure how to write it in French) in my bathroom. And heated tiles on the floor....
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-31 4:26 PM (#35543 - in reply to #35533)

*Fifi* - 2005-10-31 3:34 PMI don't know, Green Jello. That device looks kind of neato. I've been using a footstool which is much more comfortable to me than not having one. The thing with off-the-wall devices is that it's weird for visitors, like in-laws who already might think you-know-who is weird.

Supposedly you can fold it up, and move it.  (And everybody I know already thinks I'm weird, how much worse can it get?)

One other downside of that device is what if I fall off in the middle of the night? I like the hole in the floor.

This is what worries me the most, I'm pushing 225-250 lbs, so I'm more likely to break the durned thing in the middle of the night, and end up with some sort of injury than you more petite ladies.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-31 4:48 PM (#35545 - in reply to #35533)

Expert Yogi

I like the footstool idea too Fifi, then you can use it as a magazine table for the bathroom when *strangers* are present. As for the hole in the floor, Beday and heated floors - absolutely, I have had this design in my head for years...now I'm just trying to figure out how to build it. I want an outdoor shower too!!
raku
Posted 2005-10-31 9:57 PM (#35569 - in reply to #35545)

outdoor showers --- yes!
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-31 10:15 PM (#35572 - in reply to #9520)

Suggestion to Original Question of newtoyoga:

1. First let us know or at least note yourself, the method you came to know that your pelvic floor is weak.
2. Now do Yoga for a month or two regularly within your limits without overdoing it.
3. Then apply the method in 1. and find whether you are worse off or better.
4. 3. shall answer your question immediately.

Best Luck
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Orbilia
Posted 2005-11-01 5:25 AM (#35595 - in reply to #35509)

Cyndi, whatever you do don't squat on the loo. We had a rash of bad accidents at work here shortly after we took on some new staff who were from a culture where this posture was the norm for elimination. After our health and safety folk investigated, we found the only way to break our loo seats was by squatting on them.

I think it would be interesting to find out if any company has taken this on board and produces a loo that's both squat friendly and meets the usual expectations on bathroom fittings in the west.

Fee
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-01 9:40 AM (#35605 - in reply to #35595)

Orbilia - 2005-11-01 5:25 AMI think it would be interesting to find out if any company has taken this on board and produces a loo that's both squat friendly and meets the usual expectations on bathroom fittings in the west.Fee

I don't think it would be hard.  Essentially all you would need is something on either side of the bowl to stand on.  So, if they built a shelf or something with the top coming out, it would probably be perfect.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-11-01 9:54 AM (#35607 - in reply to #35605)

I can see that in my mind but I think it may not work for the older, stiffer user? I wondered if anyone had actually taken to producing something that didn't involve a large step up but was more, 'erm 'hygenic' than a hole in the bathroom floor.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2005-11-01 9:54 AM
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-11-01 12:11 PM (#35620 - in reply to #9520)

I can't believe Green Jello weighs between 225 - 250 lbs. You must be very tall, GJ. I looked out your photo and you're certainly not fat!

GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-01 12:36 PM (#35622 - in reply to #35620)

Orbilia- Yeah, maybe some sort of step on either side would be nicer for old folks.

*Fifi* - 2005-11-01 12:11 PMI can't believe Green Jello weighs between 225 - 250 lbs. You must be very tall, GJ. I looked out your photo and you're certainly not fat!

Thanks!   

I'm very dense.  One part of our high school phys-ed final was floating in the pool for 5 minutes.  Just float, that's it.  I had to fight to keep from drowning, since my legs kept pulling me down.  I also have a bit of a pot belly, which is going away, and very thick thighs.

Anyway, I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs.  Oddly enough I had no idea what I weighted or how tall I was until about 3-4 weeks ago.  Then the doctor insisted on tell me, and I was forced to buy a suit.  Now everybody seems interested.... Odd.
tourist
Posted 2005-11-01 10:59 PM (#35677 - in reply to #35622)

Expert Yogi

GJ - my DH is a sinker, too. He laughs when my feet float around in the hot tub. The best thing in triathlon for him was the introduction of wetsuits, which offer a bit of floatation
pixy_19
Posted 2005-11-30 2:48 PM (#37874 - in reply to #9520)

I am new to the site, new to the yoga and new to dealing with my collapsed pelvic floor.
I am 19 years old and the doctors still haven't found a reason for my pevlic floor muslces failing me and my multiple prolapses...
I am interested in starting yoga, and I read some of your posts regarding what do to and what not to do, but I am looking for a little more insite.
I guess I still don't completely understand my condtion, which makes it hard for me to know what are healthy positions and what are not.
Any suggestions, or even just some support would be awesome.. I'm having a really rough time with all this...

Glad I've found some ppl who can relate...
Thanks
*rach*
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-30 10:00 PM (#37910 - in reply to #9520)

pixy 19:

You need a mix of a) consultation with an experienced Surgeon in the area of your issue. b) experienced Yoga Teacher who knows your issue from your consultation with Surgeon and then can help you. c) patience and dedication to overcome or reduce the issue.

Fortunately, you are young at age.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-11-30 10:02 PM (#37911 - in reply to #9520)

pixy 19:

You need a mix of a) consultation with an experienced Surgeon in the area of your issue. b) experienced Yoga Teacher who knows your issue from your consultation with Surgeon and then can help you. c) patience and dedication to overcome or reduce the issue.

Fortunately, you are young at age.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
pixy_19
Posted 2005-12-12 8:27 PM (#38789 - in reply to #9520)

Thank you!
I have had alot of tests, and I have many more booked in the new year, followed by surgury in the spring. I guess they have to see what they can do for me.
Finding an experienced yoga teacher around here will be hard, considering I am living in the middle of no where, but I will find one, even if it means driving to the city. From what you guys are saying.. it's worth it.
Thanks again..

Nick
Posted 2006-01-13 4:31 PM (#40930 - in reply to #9520)

Hi everybody,
Sorry to always seem to so contrary, but my understanding is that squatting is not suitable for westerners at all. According to Sapsford et al (Women's health-a textbook for physiotherapists) it screws up the ano-rectal angle and actually inhibits good defaecation. What's good for a person from the east is not good for a person from the west. I believe this is due to tightness in the calf muscles. My recommendation is not to try to overcome this, and to not advise anyone else to do the same. By advising the lady who posted the query to squat, you may have assisted her, and others with the same problem, to get into an even deeper physical mess-please desist from offering advice unless you are medically trained-it is very dangerous to mess around with other peoples health
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-01-13 8:33 PM (#40975 - in reply to #40930)

Expert Yogi

Well, she could wear heels I think there is a vast oversimplification here. I would hate to presume to know the tightness of an individual's calves by their geographical location. Knowing options is always good and one could make choices depending on what works best for their body.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)