YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga at home tips, please!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

NopeFenrir
Posted 2004-08-27 4:55 PM (#9454)
Subject: Yoga at home tips, please!

Ok, I'm at a point in my life where I'm tired of being overweight (I'm not obese by any means, but I do, err, have some good reserves in case I'm ever stranded without food ), and I want to get in shape, but not really bulk up. I found this site http://www.aryabhatt.com/yoga/index.htm that seems to list some good exercises, but I'm no expert. Will these be good for what I'm looking for? And, if so, how many exercises will I need to do each session, and how many sessions per week will I need to do to produce results? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thushara
Posted 2004-10-26 6:44 AM (#11205 - in reply to #9454)
Subject: RE: Yoga at home tips, please!

Yeah I think this will help, But Can you do these alone? You need lot of self-determination to do these stuff continuously right?
itchytummy
Posted 2004-11-09 7:02 PM (#11880 - in reply to #9454)

A lot of these exercises are good exercises, but many are also quite advanced. It is my recommendation that you start out yoga with an instructor as there are some fundamental errors in doing some postures that a lot of home-schooled yoga practitioners make that are not good for the body and be can easily be corrected with the guidance of a well-qualified and well-expereinced instructor. Also, since a lot of these exercises are above beginning level, you might not be able to do a lot of these things right away. Some of the things shown on the site take time to work up to.

My advice to you is start out with some guidance, and go to a class or private instructor if you've never done yoga(which is sounds like you have not), see if you like it, and if you do continue taking lessons. Once you have reached a certain point and feel comfortably established in your practice, then you can do yoga on your own and can judge for yourself more easily how much you want to do and what to do.
murugesanvs
Posted 2005-01-22 2:05 AM (#15298 - in reply to #9454)

I am practising yoga for few years for controlling weight and blood pressure. I attended few courses from various instructors traind by Bihar School of Yoga. Based on experience I suggest that, continuous support of instructor is not very much needed. But we should study ourself. Most of the instructors or authors does 100 % perfect poses which might be a result of some other form of athletic excercise also. We can reach around 85 % perfection by continuosly doing the practices. Torso twisting poses help a lot in fat reduction in and out of the belly region.
easternsun
Posted 2005-01-22 2:37 AM (#15304 - in reply to #9454)

ditto what itchytummy said...a lot of these asanas are advanced.

get into a class and check out the other posts in yoga for weightloss.

good luck as you begin your journey!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-02-02 9:29 PM (#15976 - in reply to #9454)

Power Yoga will probably help you sweat off some pounds more quickly, but Suzanne Deason has a good DVD (and accompanying book) called Yoga for Weight Loss. It is nice because it shows modifications for different levels of fitness, and thankfully, the heaviest demonstrator is NOT the least flexible. I think it's a pretty good practice, it uses a lot of the same progressions through standing poses that I teach in my classes. When my students ask for recommendations that they can do at home, I always want to recommend this one but I hesitate because I don't want them to think they should lose weight! But, it never matters - EVERYONE in America seems to think they should lose weight, no matter how they look.
caliente
Posted 2009-04-19 8:21 AM (#115480 - in reply to #9454)

Hi there,

I'm kind of in the same place - new mom with some weight to shift, which is why I decided to try home yoga practice!

I've found that there are lots of great sites devoted to home yoga practice, that offer free advice, tutorials and more, and, if you're ready to take the next step inn home yoga practice, some great DVD's, home yoga videos and books that offer more in depth advice.

Home yoga does seem to offer a lot of benefits, in terms of weight loss, stress reduction, and general health, so I hope it works for me, and for you too!

mafunk
Posted 2009-04-19 3:10 PM (#115483 - in reply to #9454)
Subject: Re: Yoga at home tips, please!

Yoga, coupled with cardiovascular exercise and healthy eating can help you lose weight.

But, yoga alone is probably not sufficient. I have posted several free yoga videos on my website at freshairyoga.net, perhaps they will help you.

God Bless,
Monique Danielle
www.hathayoga.net - free yoga website
HolidayHoney
Posted 2009-06-09 4:55 PM (#116425 - in reply to #9454)

Yoga is amazing when done at home... Fun and definitely gives a natural high. But I think it's really important to begin in a class setting. Coaches and teachers will almost always push you harder than you can push yourself. Plus there is something to be said for practicing with others, and feeling like one collective energy. Leaving a yoga class is so satiating, due to a combination of the energy of others, the sweaty workout, and the positive affirmations... I think it's good to start in class for a few months than try doing half at home and half in class once you get the hang of it. Either way, I think you're on the right track. Good luck to you!!

Edited by HolidayHoney 2009-06-09 4:55 PM
yogivid
Posted 2009-07-14 1:00 AM (#117000 - in reply to #9454)

Hi,

Try starting Yoga with a good teacher, once to twice a week, in a studio, any kind of yoga is beneficial, as long as you have a good teacher beside u, than after you learned a few asanas technique, you can practice it at home, it will be safer that way.

Posted 2009-08-27 1:35 AM (#117945 - in reply to #9454)

GO TO CLASSES!!!!
Much safer for you and the group environment get help alot and be very encouraging......helping you to make the effort even on a bad day.
kieranee
Posted 2009-09-07 3:09 AM (#118181 - in reply to #117945)

Thanks for sharing your comments, I'm learning from them.
Jennyom
Posted 2010-02-08 8:56 PM (#121354 - in reply to #9454)

I love practicing at home with the yoga shows on TV. It's really comfortable and practical now that i have a 2 year old son
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-10 10:32 AM (#121404 - in reply to #121354)

Extreme Veteran

Namaste,
There are some yoga classes on TV in India and other countries, where the teachers guide very nicely that anyone can follow at home. However, learning from a teacher face to face in a studio or at home privately is really different. This is not only to correct your postures, breathe in and out properly and prevent injuries, but also to provide you motivation that you need during practice. Thanks………

Cyndi
Posted 2010-02-10 10:43 AM (#121405 - in reply to #121404)

Expert Yogi

Actually the yoga class is for teaching....but the yoga practice begins with oneself and alone!! If you can't be alone with yourself and practice what you've learned then your not doing Yoga, you are simply doing exercise! Might as well go to an Aerobics class while your at it,
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-10 12:48 PM (#121409 - in reply to #121405)

Extreme Veteran

I appreciate this...
One should develop his/her own yoga practice alone, this is known as "Yoga Sadhana". That can be developed from the practical experience of learning by a qualified teacher. Thanks..........
Gigi1913
Posted 2010-04-04 11:01 PM (#122233 - in reply to #9454)

If you are a beginner, and subscribe to cable (at least in the US), there is a channel on On Demand called Exercise TV. There are some pretty decent yoga videos on there for beginners.
Honeybee
Posted 2010-04-05 9:29 PM (#122246 - in reply to #122233)

I would like to chime in that even as a beginner, a home practice is very valuable. I also second the chorus of get a good teacher and go to class. DO BOTH!!! If you have a good teacher guiding you through practice once or twice a week, when you practice at home you will hear his/her voice in your head when you practice at home. I have been practicing for about 10 years, and have had 4 teachers that I've worked with for long periods. All of them continue to contribute to my practice today, even though some I haven't seen in many years. What I love most about my home practice, is I can go to my mat without any expectations and just let my body tell me what it wants.
snow white
Posted 2010-04-22 11:51 PM (#122476 - in reply to #9454)

I feel yoga can help in the toning and awareness of being inside your body, if that makes sense.
If you have a problem with (former) over eating, practising yoga and really getting inside your body again and feeling it, might create a positive feel about your body - it's a beautiful body so this might support you in being persistent on a healthy diet/lifestyle. I think yoga is great to start practising if you want to lose weight and gain strength and an overall good feeling!

If money is an object, just look around youtube, it is swirming with yoga how to's. Might want to search for "yoga for beginners" or suchlike terms.

Good luck to everyone!
rafalweb
Posted 2010-05-18 4:30 PM (#122981 - in reply to #9454)

Do you have an iPhone or iTouch? I got the Pocket Yoga app for a couple of bucks, and it has practices for beginners as well as advanced...you can start (relatively) easy with a 30 minute beginner's practice and move up from there (up to 60 minutes). It has helped me as I can't get to a studio. It has really helped me, especially with weight and knee pain.
stela
Posted 2010-05-19 1:19 AM (#122988 - in reply to #9454)

In fact i agree with this suggestion but the person going under self yoga practice must be having good practice and knowledge regarding to yoga.
therapyinsurance
Posted 2010-05-28 5:42 AM (#123189 - in reply to #9454)

Is that really possible for some one to loose weight via the Yoga? I can't imagine or belive that some one can loose weight with the help of Yoga. It is really hard for some one to loose the extra fat.
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-29 4:35 AM (#123225 - in reply to #9454)

It is good if you start under expert's observation especially if you are new to Yoga because, in Yoga performing asana with correct pose does require guidance.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)