YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What best for me and my tummy? help...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Alione
Posted 2004-08-09 4:41 AM (#9002)
Subject: What best for me and my tummy? help...

I'm 22 years old, n 5 years ago i had an operation to remove my spleen due to my illness. Due to the operation, my abs is out of shape a bit..Over the last 1 and half year i have been doing bikram yoga. Its helpful to make me keep fit but doesn't help much to define my out of shape abs.Now i'm looking forward to join pilates class.
The problem is, which type of pilates is best for me, because i would like to strenghten and shape up my abs n hopefully lose bit of my tummy.
I hope someone can suggest which type of pilates should i do 1st. is it the pilates mat workout or the ones using equipment. and also suggest the duration i should do those class. Cheers

Edited by Alione 2004-08-09 5:08 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JackieCat
Posted 2004-08-09 8:05 AM (#9003 - in reply to #9002)
Subject: RE: What best for me and my tummy? help...

Extreme Veteran

Pilates mat classes are great but I highly recommend at least a few sessions on the reformer first. Working out on the reformer really helped me to know where to engage and bring my attention during a mat class. I took a few mat classes before I tried the reformer and found that I didn't really "get" it. After doing the reformer regularly for about 4 months, I get so much more out of mat pilates.

If you can afford to do the reformer on a regular basis (most sessions are one on one and similar in price to personal training, although there are some semi private classes available), I think it would be a great way for you to meet your goals. If not, a few sessions will put you in a position to get the most out of mat classes. And it will be a great complement to your Bikram yoga practice.

As far as duration, most classes/sessions are about one hour.
Revampo
Posted 2004-08-09 2:30 PM (#9017 - in reply to #9002)

Jackie is right about the reformer helping with alignment.You should do well with a beginners(basics) video,working your way up to the advanced-your desired flat abs is just a breath away if you follow the instructions well.I'm certified to teach basic matwork,and my main client has achieved her goals in just 3 months-well toned abs.
reinbeau
Posted 2004-08-09 5:51 PM (#9022 - in reply to #9002)

You are much better off finding a trainer than to try to learn from a video.....and a beginner's mat class with a good teacher is going to benefit you every bit as much as sessions with a reformer. Once you've mastered the basics, then you can move onto videos at home, etc. It's easier, at lease in my area ()New England) to find affordable mat classes than it is to find affordable reformer lessons.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)