YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reverse pose&do's&don'ts in yoga.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

ceecee3676
Posted 2004-08-06 7:19 PM (#8958)
Subject: Reverse pose&do's&don'ts in yoga.

I do alota yoga at home with video tapes and they always have things at the first telling you not to do this and to do that , but it never says why. Like don't eat right before practice, or always drink lots of water afterwards. It's no big deal or anything, but i was just wondering why not to eat before practice, and why drink water after. And another thing i was really wondering about is why can't you do a reverse pose while on your period, cuz i just got this new yoga dvd i really like and i can never do the reverse pose. I have irregular periods,( i just started a few months ago ) and, for all i know , i could just start my period durin my pratice. So is the reverse pose that serious, or can I can not worry about it bad as i am??
ceecee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2004-08-09 10:12 AM (#9010 - in reply to #8958)
Subject: RE: Reverse pose&do's&don'ts in yoga.

There's definitely some confusion on the issue of inversions. Some teachers stress it more than others. I've read/been taught that they should be avoided due to a "reversal of energy" - the natural flow, if you will, is downwards - so don't mess with nature. Others will say try it and see how your body reacts to it. I know that in Iyengar classes teachers will give students other poses to work on rather than inversions.
As far as the eating/drinking issue is concerned, yoga should definitely be done on a fairly empty stomach. It may help to think of as wringing out a wet towel - all the twisting and stretching of the abdomen/spine is essentially the same thing. I'm sure others on teh board can explain this much better. You definitely want to hydrate well before (and after) class for a couple of reasons. During practice you're building up a lot of heat - this helps wash away toxins, and aids in limbering up the muscles in preparation for meditation. Drinking water during class will not only have a cooling effect (in other words, the opposite of what you want) but it's a distraction from the mental focus as well. Hope this helps!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)