YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

muscle pulls
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

sooners
Posted 2004-07-20 3:28 PM (#8484)
Subject: muscle pulls

My daughter is 18yr and recently pulled a muscle in her hamstring area. The pain is high on the leg just under her right buttocks. She is playing college volleyball but will not see a trainer until next month. Will massage therapy help, is there anything else we can do? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Babsi
Posted 2004-07-23 11:27 AM (#8587 - in reply to #8484)
Subject: RE: muscle pulls

...it depends,
If she just pulled the muscle prbably some mild cooling or warming might help her with the pain. As soon as the strong pain is gone, she can start with gentle stretching.
If she has strained the muscle with some bleeding massage in the first 2-3 weeks is contraindicated because it can lead to myositis ossificans. Then you want to leave the muscle alone, while doing elektrotherapy and thermotherapy. As above continue after the pain subsides.
But in any case it would be best if she saw a doctor or massagetherapist who is specialized in sportstherapy
Take care Babsi
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-26 3:56 AM (#8639 - in reply to #8484)

The only thing she needs is to take complete rest of legs with very little food intake. This is to continue until her hamstrings heal. She can do inversions with some benefit.

Lot of rest.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
quietmuse2003
Posted 2005-02-11 3:04 AM (#16597 - in reply to #8484)

I just happened upon this forum, and was reading this thread, and now I'm paranoid. I took a yoga class this past Tuesday and overdid it in Chattrarunga ( as in a push up position) Immediately after class I had a massage (though nothing deep) Later that night, I started feeling sore in my deltoid (shoulder area), but only when raising or lowering my arm from up over and behind my head. I'm able to use it normally otherwise.

Just curious....

Alan
tourist
Posted 2005-02-11 10:27 AM (#16613 - in reply to #16597)

Expert Yogi

Hi Alan - I recognise you from MIS Are you wondering about the effects of massage on your shoulder? My guess would be that it was the chatarangas (evil pose! ) and not the massage that was the issue. i think massage after asana is ok, before, not so much. My own main safety points in chataranga around the shoulder area are: elbows close to the body, back and down (I don't care how you see Sting doing it!) and don't turn your head. Hope it feels better soon!
quietmuse2003
Posted 2005-02-12 3:47 AM (#16683 - in reply to #16613)

Yes, tis I.

I appreciate your pointers on the form. The teacher was watching and correcting me, but even with the form, it was just too much for me. I think it was the total effort expended in the class that pushed it close, and doing chattaranga more correctly (arms further back instead of by my shoulders as I had been doing it) that pushed it over the edge. My only concern was getting the massage after class. I had scheduled the massage a few days before the class. After class I had the massage, and it was only later that night that my shoulder/deltoids started hurting and I realized I had overdone it.

Well, it's part of the learning process about my body

Alan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)