YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I would like to get into doing pilates.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Rt2000
Posted 2004-06-16 9:06 PM (#7558)
Subject: I would like to get into doing pilates.

I would like to get started onto pilates. How would I start?.

Rt2000.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
reinbeau
Posted 2004-06-19 11:11 AM (#7631 - in reply to #7558)
Subject: RE: I would like to get into doing pilates.

Probably the best way is to look around your area for a studio that is giving lessons. Many yoga studios have at least a connection to a Pilates instructor, that might be a good place to start.
Yo'Av
Posted 2004-10-11 7:02 PM (#10745 - in reply to #7558)

I recommend video tapes or dvds. this way you can start with the basics and move up to the advanced at your own pace and without leaving your house. if one level is not right for you, you can always go back to something easier according to your needs, and the media is yours to keep.
I recommend the following dvds/video tapes:
- Winsor Pilates (an entire collection from beginners to advanced with sectional workouts)
- Pilates For Dummies (an instructinal workout with all the basics, but you feel the burn)
- Crunch Fitness: Pick Your Spot Pilates (3 sectional workouts for abs, buns and thighs)
- Crunch Fitness: Total Body Pilates (an intense Pilates workout in only 10 minutes)

think about what is best for you, and also consult with people who have tried Pilates and find out what made them stick with it.

If you try all of this still can't 'get into Pilates' (as you said), maybe this isn't for you and you need to find some other form of exercise to do (i'm just telling you all the options).
throwtoy
Posted 2004-10-12 9:05 AM (#10769 - in reply to #7558)

i would definitely go to a studio first. that way you learn how to do the exercises correctly and are REALLY able to see if this is something you like and will help you. usually when people try to do it at home having no experience they get bored or dont feel it working and will give up becasue they get bored or dont feel it working which you SHOULD. chances are if you're not feeling it, you're probably doing it incorrectly. If you end up liking it, THEN a tape would be good to have at home so you could do it ther if you cant get to the studio AND you know you'll be doing it right. there are a lot of Pilates studios out there now. where do you live?
Revampo
Posted 2004-10-12 10:31 AM (#10774 - in reply to #7558)

Pilates is like a life changer(physica/mental-my experience)
Attending beginners classes is a good idea. I do the entire advanced matwork repotoire 4 days a week,having never attended a live class.

Beware! all pilates arent the same if you're going for videos/dvds.Stott Pilates strays the farthest from the original teaching of Joself H. Pilates. While Mari Winsor seems to have more of the traditional pilates.For the most original teachings [if you're going a vid/dvd in addition to classes.] is
the Classical Pilates Technique DVD.
throwtoy
Posted 2004-10-14 4:03 PM (#10839 - in reply to #7558)

there are classical pilates technique tapes

www.powerpilates.com

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)