YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neck injury
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

Darren
Posted 2004-06-11 11:39 AM (#7382)
Subject: Neck injury

Hello,

First post to the site; hope I'm doing it right....

I'm also hoping for some insight from those (many) of you who have much, much more experience than I do.

I started doing Bikram yoga three months ago, first 3 X week and then every day. I had really enjoyed it and was working with a very talented instructor who seems immune from a lot of criticisms of Bikram that I've read on this site. I had switched to yoga, ironically, from a Pilates regime that was making me nervous about injury (ironically since I never had an injury in two years of Pilates, despite being physically manipulated every-which-way by my teacher weekly).

Five days ago I overextended my neck in one of the Bikram head-to-knee poses. By the next day I was practically immobile, since the spasms at the base of my neck caused most of the muscles in my upper back and along the spine to seize up.

My problem (apart from pain and having to spend most of my time laying down!!) is that I keep getting contradictory advice. The yoga instructor said gentle neck stretching (which I was disinclined to believe because the pain was so bad). I went to a massage therapist who massaged out the back muscles (they seized up again less than thirty minutes later) and said to keep icing in spite of the number of days since injury, and to "take it really easy"--i.e., no exercise.

Yesterday things were still so bad that I went to a Western doctor. He (of course) prescribed painkillers but said that my injury was similar to whiplash--the neck muscles are completely contracted--and recommended a series of painful although gentle stretching exercises and heat every hour.

My questions: have any of you ever had an injury like this? What did you do? How long did recovery take? I'm terrified that the pain and lack of mobility will continue beyond the one week mark... And I'm shocked that what must have been a very minor muscular strain has caused this much pain and immobility.

Darren

P.S. I am 33, very healthy and fit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-11 2:01 PM (#7387 - in reply to #7382)
Subject: RE: Neck injury

Darren:
Look at the Testimonials from SG, Mathematician on www.authenticyoga.org. If you wish to communicate to him, email me at neel@authenticyoga.org.

There is no doubt that you need a personal attention.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
designaire
Posted 2004-06-16 6:10 PM (#7554 - in reply to #7382)
Subject: RE: Neck injury

Sounds like you injured a disk in your neck. See a physical therapist. They can give you exercises that are good for it. It will most likely heal but if you don't get somebody to look at it you might have problems down the line. Bending forward is very hard on the neck. Tilting your neck back is better but get somebody to show you the correct way to do it. Check out somebody that knows the mckenzie exercises..

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/mckenzie/mck01.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)