YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dealing with Distractions during practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Kimj81
Posted 2004-04-14 2:18 PM (#5382)
Subject: Dealing with Distractions during practice

Yesterday, I had a very trying practice. Between my dog demanding my attention constantly and children screaming and banging on trash cans, I was unable to keep focused. I kept trying just closing my eyes and focusing on breath before resuming in an attempt to refocus, but it was just one of those days that any thing could distract me. I was so frustrated that I ended up skipping straight from Janu Sirasana B to the Finishing Sequence then skipping half of that! How do you calm and quiet your mind when you're having an easily-distracted day? Note: I can't go elsewhere to practice as my living room is the only space large enough. And, at least yesterday (usually he's a saint, but yesterday, he was quite annoying) my dog was barking outside, whining inside. I'm afraid I cannot change my environment at the current time, only my mindset. Any tips?

As a side question (which I fear is a little weird), my back gets achy in Savasana (like it wants to be popped) in the middle where the natural arch lifts it off the ground. When I try to lay down flatter, it merely redistributes tension into my shoulders and the back still aches (though a little less). Any suggestions? I had thought that Savasana was hard to screw up, but I must be wrong!

And a little rant (whoo, I have a lot to say today!) My teacher stopped teaching (at least at the studio she was at, I don't know) and the only other Ashtanga teacher in town charges $4 more per lesson and was rather rude to me when I talked to her on the phone! I'm gonna give her class a shot, but I really hope that was some rare, cranky moment I caught her at!

Thank you!
Kim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LoraB
Posted 2004-04-14 2:42 PM (#5386 - in reply to #5382)
Subject: RE: Dealing with Distractions during practice

My back bothers me sometimes in savasana as well. It usually depends on what I've done in practice that day. There's a history of back problems in my family that can't be diagnosed until a problem starts (yikes!) so I'm extra attentive to that area. I usually try to shift my legs a little bit until I find a place where it eases, and then BREATHE into it the best I can and try to not fight it or clench up too much. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't...Good luck with it.

As far as the easily distracted days? I usually try to speed up the practice and really push to the edge so I HAVE to pay attention. But that doesn't help when the cat starts licking my toes during savasana or batting my hair in uttanasana.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-16 12:00 AM (#5417 - in reply to #5382)

I have 6 cats and 3 dogs who always want to be in the same room as I, and when I'm practicing they want to help.

I have given up trying to get into that zone of breath and movement at home. I just incorporate them into my practice, work through my sequence and laugh and tease them. In the scope of life, I'll only have them a while, so they get my attention when they want it. After awhile, they usually sit down (close by) and stop trying to rub and play. It works for me.

I know we're supposed to learn to shut out the world through focus and the rushing breath, but this is also the world in which we live. I reserve my Dharana for Mysore at the studio.

As far as your back, it's never supposed to be flat. We have natural curves in our spine for strength and flexibility. If you were in my class having this discomfort, I'd slip a bolster under your knees or the edge of a blanket under your cervical spine -- just rolled up one turn or so -- to give you a little support in these curves.

Svanasana is the toughest pose there is.

Remember that you don't have to like a teacher to practice yoga. Particularly Ashtanga, which is meant to be a solo, focused practice. I hope she was just cranky, too, though.

Christine
LoraB
Posted 2004-04-16 10:02 AM (#5429 - in reply to #5382)

6 cats and 3 dogs? Sounds wonderful. I adore my little guy. He really is a good one, just very excited when I'm practicing. It was a little easier with the dog I had for a short time - she would actually do "down dog" on command. What's not to love?

Admittedly, part of it is that being pretty new I still get a little hung up on what asana to do next when I'm working at home. Some days it's nice to have the group energy of a class, and I really do like both of my teachers, but some days I'd rather not be in a class with a bunch of people that are focused mainly on having a perfect body. That's what I get for practicing at a gym - but with a student budget it's what I can afford. My teachers aren't the standard "gym yoga teachers" and teach at studios around town as well. Looking forward to this summer off from school when I can hit all the studios and yoga to my heart's content. Almost all have offer an unlimited week of classes for first time visitors for just $20. Being in a big city that should get me about 2 months of practices! yea!

Posted 2004-04-16 10:39 AM (#5432 - in reply to #5382)

Christine wrote: "Remember that you don't have to like a teacher to practice yoga."
I suppose the day may come where I can rise above the quality of skills and the demeanor of a teacher but I kinda doubt it. While there is cost to dollars to being taught, that's insignificant to me in "giving" myself to a teacher for a period of time and I don't like his/her attibutes.

In my limited practice, I see the relationship of yoga teacher student as being as nearly intimate as that of a doctor--I can deal with a salesman I don't like if I want the product or service but won't abide that with a physician.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-16 11:52 AM (#5435 - in reply to #5432)

You know, Bruce, you have excellent points. And I'm the first one to rant about being careful about choosing a doctor, but that we'll let any ol' yoga teacher mess with our entire bodies.
You've given me things to think about, as in how I mean that, I guess.

Perhaps I guess there might come a point where teachers are just extra. In the Ashtanga practice, since it's so solo and focused, geared towards practicing without a teacher, the teacher can become superfluous. Particularly if you don't need them to get through. It doesn't matter because they're not talking. In upper led classes, they're usually just calling off asanas and making a few adjustments or mentioning finer points. However, if one is still memorizing the Series, a teacher is more integral in the practice, since they know what's next and you do not.

In any other type of practice, since you never know how the class will go or what you'll be doing, obviously a teacher is rather important.

I do think it's important, though, not to become dependant upon a teacher. Conversely, I think it's important for a teacher to foster independence. The student might adopt a guru, but it's different if a teacher, particularly these days in the US, is setting themselves up as just that. I'd be pretty darned suspicious about their motives and ego. I really like my teachers -- or I go elsewhere, no matter what the cost. I socialize with a few and a few not. I have one excellent Authorized Ashtanga teacher I can take or leave, however. But I take what he has to offer and leave the rest, vs. leaving the yoga. Know what I mean, bean?

I do think your point of where you or someone else is in their practice making a huge difference in their relationship and/or need for a teacher. One can always learn from someone, but it takes the teacher inside to decide to accept that someone has to offer or to find value in it.

I'm getting to deep and can't see my knees. I'll chat at'cha later. Today is gardening day with a beautiful 65ยบ, a friend coming to help me lay stuff out, and a dog and cat to supervise my planting.

Have a great day out there, all!

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)