YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is Kundalini?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

amatoria.com
Posted 2004-04-06 12:28 PM (#5174)
Subject: What is Kundalini?

What is Kundalini?

… It’s Yoga’s “Nirvana”; it’s Christ’s “Kingdom of God”; it’s the “Communion with the Guardian Angel” of Magic; it’s the “Philosopher’s Stone” of Alchemy.

...It’s head enlightenment.

The following is not a technical guide to Kundalini Yoga, just a personal insight.

Kundalini responds to a great desire, and whether the desire be divine or mundane depends on the individual. Higher yearnings literally pull energy upwards; base desires keep the individual in ignorance. Sexual desire is an unconscious striving for union within ourselves: it is this “spiritual” striving that awakens the godlike qualities lying dormant within each of us. Such a desire for completeness and wholeness is not satisfied in sex. The seething mass of humanity naturally believes that sexual bliss is the only bliss worth having - that its orgasm is the only god. This suits Nature’s purposes, but not ours. If you’re reading this then you’re already on the spiritual road.

Kundalini - the force of Nature - is usually located in the sex centres because man, when turning from sex to God, initially believes that God is sex. But as the force rises, sexual desire is transformed into a desire for inner unity - although sexual potency remains active. His instinctive desires have changed because the creative potency of life - God - becomes his true nature, he is simply becoming conscious of his latent will (Kundalini) which uses the sexual drive as a vehicle to unite the two halves of his brain.

Initially, Kundalini manifests as a bodily force either enrapturing the individual, or taking him to near death:

“…I saw an angel who had a long golden dart with a tip of fire in his hands. It seemed that he put this in me through the heart several times, and that it reached my entrails. When he withdrew it, it seemed to me he took them [the entrails] with it, and left me totally afire with the great love of God. The pain was so great that it gave me a few moans, and so excessive was the sweetness which this very great pain caused me that one does not wish it to stop, nor can the soul be contented by anything less than God.” Teresa of Avilla (from her autobiography).

This godlike energy should be left well alone and not willed into life by the profane or by those who are simply curious. As “fire”, Kundalini purifies the whole psychic system; this ordeal by fire, either in physical or emotional suffering, brings us to Love… Enlightenment comes at a price. Once it has purified the bodily centres, or more specifically the qualities that make up the complete individual, it moves into the head. Every moment Kundalini (universal will) is active it desires to unite with consciousness (individual will) and each unity experience that brings it nearer to its goal is greater than the last, and the individual - striving for his seventh heaven - is made whole. The physical rapture, which can mark the beginnings of Kundalini’s rise, turn into a profound spiritual ecstasy in which one has union with God.

Why we should have this ability, I don’t know. Perhaps it is because we are self- conscious beings, and being self-aware makes us know that we are more than just animals. God - the energy that powers the universe - is within us, sometimes this energy spontaneously erupts or we take a liking to God and want to know Him better. Either way, it radically changes the lives of the people who know it. But if you don’t want your life changed then forget Kundalini.

Some people think that K. Yoga is a way of attaining psychic powers - don’t be fooled! The individual who knows himself does not seek psychic powers: Kundalini is higher nature, not selfish nature. The power of God is Love, and when an individual has God’s love he thinks of nothing else - he becomes God without having the desire to prove that he is God, he loves God because Love is all there is. He has no need to produce dazzling tricks of spiritual light, and God has no desire to stunt the growth of His human lightening conductor with displays of things. The full manifestation of Kundalini is completion - to turn man into God, and a fully-grown God does not play with toys.

It is in our evolutionary interests to obtain the power of a loving God, not a gimmicky God.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
shaktigirl
Posted 2005-02-18 6:32 AM (#17134 - in reply to #5174)
Subject: RE: What is Kundalini?

Congratulations! You said very well about Kundalini Yoga... That's it! :) : :D
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-18 9:01 AM (#17140 - in reply to #5174)

Dear Amatoria.com:
If possible, please answer this question:

Can you please tell me what is the source of the statements or majority of them, which you have made in the original post?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-18 11:48 AM (#17158 - in reply to #17140)

Expert Yogi

Isn't Kundalini that serpent that lives at the base of your spine,
you know, the one that you cause to rise through the practice
of asana and pranayama?
HotYogi
Posted 2005-02-18 12:14 PM (#17160 - in reply to #17158)

Bayguy:

Kundalini is typically represented metaphorically as a coiled snake lying in the base of the spine. Asana and pranayama are just some of a myriad of practices used to "awaken" this snake. In the hindu metaphysical system there are three channels or nadis called ida, pingala and sushumna that run parallel to each other converging at each of the chakras. Mindful practice of asana, pranayama or meditation is supposed to awaken kundalini and guide this energy through the central channel or the sushumna nadi and it passes through each chakra in its upward journey and finally through the crown chakra or the sahasara. That is the "a-ha" moment of self-relization or enlightenment or nirvana. The moment some yogis achieve effortlessly while some have to wait a few lifetimes.

Namasthe
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-18 4:44 PM (#17172 - in reply to #5174)

Not trying to offend anyone, just adding a bit.

Only Asana and Pranayama can lead to Kundalini rising and reaching the Sahastrar. However, that is NOT Liberation. That gives only a glimpse of self realization at one level. When the self realization is maintained, without creating new Karma, one reaches Kaivalyam or Moksha. Kaivalyam is Impossible without surrender to the Divine.

Also, Kundalini rising only via Asana and Pranayama is a dangerous path as it can lead a student to a stage of lunacy. It should be accompanied by the proper other practices such as diet, devotion, humility, discipline, etc.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-19 4:01 PM (#17234 - in reply to #17172)

Expert Yogi

Namaste' Neel Bhai,

I have a question?  Would you expand your comment "Kaivalyam or Moksha is Impossible without surrender to the Divine".

I would like to know what that would be like (surrendering to the Divine) - I think I have an idea, but what kind of life would a person need to live after this point or getting to this point and is it really possible to obtain in today's world.  If you did reach the level of Moksha, how can you avoid karma while your in a human body? Would everything turn into karma yoga at this point and then everything you did would be by the grace of God? 

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-19 11:51 PM (#17251 - in reply to #5174)

Kaivalyam or liberation means that one has mentally (NOT bodily) reached a conviction and beyond the understanding that all things except the Purusha, original GOD, original Divine are, all changeable and never give satisfaction. And, that one must realize that divine mentally (NOT bodily, meaing through sense perceptions). This is the Self Realization. Once that is realized (aadau aatmaa), one maintains it, and understand the Universality of the Soul (mahat). Later one realizes that mahat is an expression of 3 gunas (sattva, rajas, and tamas). This comes from Prakriti which an Unexpressed Creation, avyakta. This avyakta has all 3 gunas balance without any movement. It is also called alinga. And the God, Original Creator, Divine and whatever is independent of all this creation including prakriti onwards. Once the realization of this purusha takes place, one becomes merged into it as it were and does not have to come back into birth life cycle, called as Sansara. Then there is no concept of body, mind as individual.

Therefore after the realization, one does not get into creation of new karma thrrough desires, ad only only works out the previous karma. After liberation, there is NO sansara, and no question of behaving or living in the society.

How is all this to be known as True? Only by practice. Exactly same as experiencing that Yoga makes you healthy, Only when practiced.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-02-19 11:54 PM (#17252 - in reply to #5174)

Surrender to the Divine means, once the Divine existence is acknowledged, lead a life without any Personal Ego, assuming that it is the Divine which is manifested in everything, including good or bad.

After Self Realization, one does actions without expecting the fruits of that action, thus not creating new karma. thus one does karmayoga, which is actions without expectations.

Neel Kuolkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)