YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Have You Heard of Tony Sanchez????
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

deelited
Posted 2004-04-23 1:36 PM (#5603 - in reply to #4573)
Subject: RE: Have You Heard of Tony Sanchez????

I had been (emphasis on "had") an avid Bikram student for 8 years - we're talking 5 times a week on average. Having a chronic back injury from my days in Colorado, this was one of the things that was keeping me from going under the knife. As time went by, I found myself developing a "love/hate" relationship with Bikram yoga mainly as a result of militant teachers who would chase me out of class telling me to get back in the room when I would step out to get a breath of oxygen that was lacking in the 130 degree room (humidity included). I then developed an injury in my groin that NONE of the instructors could tell me what to do, nor did they offer any suggestions of modifications in my practice - they simply told me to accept the fact that I was injured and to take a 3 month break. I decided to go back to Tony as I had been to a class of his years prior. I told him my condition and told him that I probably shouldn't be practicing because of my injury and he quickly interupted me and told me that's not the case, come to class and I'll have you pain free in 6 weeks. 6 weeks later - eerily to the date - I was pain free. Since this time - close to a year - I have made several breakthroughs with Tony's teachings both with my back and my knowledge on what's better for you. Tony teaches 3 different sequences of postures in his levels I, II, III - all derived from the original 84 Hatha postures. His Yoga Challenge I series is 'similar' to the sequence that Bikram teaches, HOWEVER - he teaches the postures as they were originally created - in their original form - focusing primarily on alignment AND allowing and encouraging modifications for injuries. This means no hyperextension of the knee, no squeezing/contracting your butt muscles in half moon series/camel as it restricts the oxygen flow evenly through your body (creating a block) and more concentration on hip alignment. The heat is 85 degrees - enough warmth to work up a sweat and the elimination of fixed firm and toe stand (optional for advanced students) is also to reduce the risk of knee injury.
Listen, Bikram works for a lot of people - Tony gives credit to Bikram as that is where he got his start - but if you want to be kinder to your body and continue with your yoga practice - give his series a try, go to his website and check out his Yoga Challenge I dvd, and if you're in the area or want to make the trip out to SF - his 84 classic asanas workshops are so worth the price, time and effort. Plus - you get to marvel in the presence of a master yogi by watching Tony demonstrate. (Tony practices yoga every single day and has since he was 17 years old) Can Bikram say that? I think not!!
Namaste
Top of the page Bottom of the page
deelited
Posted 2004-04-23 1:41 PM (#5604 - in reply to #4573)

I might further add that the majority of proceeds from Tony's studio and teachings go into their Non-Profit organization. Where does the $5k go that Bikram charges each student teacher...hmmm.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 2:22 PM (#5606 - in reply to #4573)

deelited,

Tony's classes do sound great. Too bad the only place to take them is in SF. If I lived there, I would definitely give them a try but I don't have the self-discipline to do a home practice so I will continue with my Bikram classes which I still love (I actually enjoy the heat) and I appear to be very fortunate in having really good instructors at the studio I attend. I have seen a great deal of negative comments about Bikram instructors in this forum.

Anyway, I have Tony's YC I poster hanging on the wall in my office at work (where I am now) and I am trying to add some of his other asanas in at the beginning of my Bikram classes, before the class starts.

Posted 2004-04-23 2:45 PM (#5607 - in reply to #5606)

Seems the negative comments centered on the Bikram style being touted as a panacea for any condition and could be done by anybody regardless of their condition...and maybe even more so in that Yogi Bikram fervently decrees that and instills it in his trainee-teachers and allows them no deviation. But like you intoned Kathy Ann, good teachers and wizened students modify as needed.

Kathy Ann - 2004-04-23 1:22 PM

deelited,

Tony's classes do sound great. Too bad the only place to take them is in SF. If I lived there, I would definitely give them a try but I don't have the self-discipline to do a home practice so I will continue with my Bikram classes which I still love (I actually enjoy the heat) and I appear to be very fortunate in having really good instructors at the studio I attend. I have seen a great deal of negative comments about Bikram instructors in this forum.

Anyway, I have Tony's YC I poster hanging on the wall in my office at work (where I am now) and I am trying to add some of his other asanas in at the beginning of my Bikram classes, before the class starts.

Posted 2004-04-23 2:47 PM (#5608 - in reply to #5604)

I don't have any problem with Bikram making a buck--caveat emptor and all that. His program got me interested in yoga so that's a good thing for me. Now what bothers me is a doofus like Jim Cary making $20M for a freaking movie!

deelited - 2004-04-23 12:41 PM

I might further add that the majority of proceeds from Tony's studio and teachings go into their Non-Profit organization. Where does the $5k go that Bikram charges each student teacher...hmmm.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 3:23 PM (#5610 - in reply to #4573)

I agree with you Bruce. Bikram has brought his style of yoga "to the masses" so to speak and he is just practicing American capitalism. I don't really care how rich he is. He does seem to have alienated a lot of people though, with his bravado, which is too bad, in my opinion. I feel like we "don't get no respect" as Bikram yogi/yoginis because of it.

Jim Carrey a doofus? That's putting it mildly!

Edited by Kathy Ann 2004-04-23 3:26 PM

Posted 2004-04-23 3:43 PM (#5612 - in reply to #5610)
Subject: No respect

I think if I had to wade thru years of gentle yoga, I'd not have stuck with it. By "Bikramming" it initially, I saw the mental and physical benefits gained and through research (Web, books, this forum, personal associations, etc) I discovere so many other aspects of yoga that interest me and can only enahnce my practice. And I respect you kiddo--smooch! (no kissing emoticon here--what's up with that?)

Kathy Ann - 2004-04-23 2:23 PM

I agree with you Bruce. Bikram has brought his style of yoga "to the masses" so to speak and he is just practicing American capitalism. I don't really care how rich he is. He does seem to have alienated a lot of people though, with his bravado, which is too bad, in my opinion. I feel like we "don't get no respect" as Bikram yogi/yoginis because of it.

Jim Carrey a doofus? That's putting it mildly!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 3:55 PM (#5613 - in reply to #4573)

Bruce - We seem to be very much on the same track in our yoga journey. Smooch back at ya (Not sure about the emoticon - just looks like red lips)

Posted 2004-04-23 4:02 PM (#5614 - in reply to #5613)

Let's meet in El Paso--that's about half way between us and have a beer and compare notes--and tour the Tony Lama boot factory.

Kathy Ann - 2004-04-23 2:55 PM

Bruce - We seem to be very much on the same track in our yoga journey. Smooch back at ya (Not sure about the emoticon - just looks like red lips)
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 4:09 PM (#5615 - in reply to #4573)

Wow! That sounds like fun (I think)

El Paso - that used to be sort of a hole-in the-wall sort of place, didn't it? I supposed it's probably changed after all these years. I went there with my parents when I was a wee tot. Is there a micro-brewery there? If I'm gonna drink beer, it's gotta be something good. I got spoiled when I went to England a couple of years ago.

Edited by Kathy Ann 2004-04-23 4:13 PM

Posted 2004-04-23 4:35 PM (#5616 - in reply to #5615)
Subject: Beer--necter of the gods

I lived in the UK and Germany for awhile and know good beer kiddo--my "man fridge" in the garage is stocked with Old Speckled Hen, a fine English ale and Guiness of course. Plus, I'm a member of the Flying Saucer Pub where, after I sample 200 beers, I get a brass plaque on the wall inscribed with my name--what a great goal in life huh?

Kathy Ann - 2004-04-23 3:09 PM

Wow! That sounds like fun (I think)

El Paso - that used to be sort of a hole-in the-wall sort of place, didn't it? I supposed it's probably changed after all these years. I went there with my parents when I was a wee tot. Is there a micro-brewery there? If I'm gonna drink beer, it's gotta be something good. I got spoiled when I went to England a couple of years ago.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 4:58 PM (#5620 - in reply to #4573)

That's great! So, how far are you toward the 200 samples? I also visited Germany and Austria a year or so ago. Lots of good brew there too although I am partial to the English "bitter". I like the creaminess and reduced carbonation. For some reason, I don't care for Guinness. As far as what I can get around here, I like Tetley's bitter and Bass Ale and I think one called "Smithwick's". There is an "English Pub" here in Phoenix that we go to that has a few of the "bitter" brands. Of course, they tasted much better in Jolly Old England.
deelite
Posted 2004-04-23 6:20 PM (#5624 - in reply to #4573)

wow - who knew that a bikram forum would lead to a love connection - congratulations you two, but let's try to keep these forums to the topics they're designated for. re: bikram and his teachings and the differences b/w he and Tony - it's more what fits your lifestyle and how educated you want to be about your body and reducing the risk of injury or even knowing how to heal yourself from hyperextensions and other strains - that ball is in your court. good luck with the beer guzzling.
deelited
Posted 2004-04-23 6:27 PM (#5625 - in reply to #4573)

btw - the correct url for tony's website is http://www.usyoga.org - not .com
check it out. Kathy Ann - you're not that far away from sunny SF - come on out and take some classes or sign up for his 84 asana workshop in July - you don't need to be advanced to participate.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 7:05 PM (#5629 - in reply to #4573)

Thanks Dee,

Just to clarify - Bruce and I are just joking around and we have been using this forum for a while now. I actually started this thread.

I spent most of my life in Southern Cal and have been to SF many times. I work full time so I have a limited amount of vacation time which I like to use to go to Hawaii or Europe. But, if I did have more free time, I probably would swing on over and take one of Tony's classes. Maybe someday.........
hot4yoga
Posted 2004-04-23 7:32 PM (#5630 - in reply to #4573)

Jose from Chgo here... I just wanted to say that I do Bikram 4x a week and I'm hooked! I started my practice in NYC and the instructors there are amazing!!! Most are professional dancers and one could tell that they totally believe and respect what they teach. My only wish would be that ALL instructors paid the amount of attention to people's poses as they did in NYC. I watched newbies twist and turn in dangerosuly painful ways and not a peep from instructors who were standing right next to them. I for one have been a "hotdog" at a few classes and am still feeling the negative effects for it (pain all around the knees). I know it's my responsibilty to not push my body but it's nice to know that if the teach catches me doing something wrong, he/she will correct me.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 7:42 PM (#5631 - in reply to #4573)

Hi Jose,

It seems like there is quite a variety of Bikram instructors out there from the comments in this forum. I guess, like you said, it's important to know your own limits and not over-do. Sounds like you move around a lot - now you are in Miami?

Posted 2004-04-23 8:36 PM (#5633 - in reply to #5624)

Dear Deelite,
Are you a forum moderator? Didn't think so--Kathy Ann and I will discuss what we please thankyouverymuch. I'm teasing you ya know--BUT, I think if we stick purely to yoga topics, it'll get pretty darn dry here and won't hold my interest.

deelite - 2004-04-23 5:20 PM

wow - who knew that a bikram forum would lead to a love connection - congratulations you two, but let's try to keep these forums to the topics they're designated for. re: bikram and his teachings and the differences b/w he and Tony - it's more what fits your lifestyle and how educated you want to be about your body and reducing the risk of injury or even knowing how to heal yourself from hyperextensions and other strains - that ball is in your court. good luck with the beer guzzling.

Posted 2004-04-23 8:39 PM (#5634 - in reply to #5629)

I'm Soooo disappointed Kathy Ann--tell the truth now--we do naked Bikram in El Paso--you're insatiable and I'm a freak...AND I only have 157 beers of the 200 needed for my permanent plaque at the Flying Saucer.

Kathy Ann - 2004-04-23 6:05 PM

Thanks Dee,

Just to clarify - Bruce and I are just joking around and we have been using this forum for a while now. I actually started this thread.

I spent most of my life in Southern Cal and have been to SF many times. I work full time so I have a limited amount of vacation time which I like to use to go to Hawaii or Europe. But, if I did have more free time, I probably would swing on over and take one of Tony's classes. Maybe someday.........
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-04-23 8:42 PM (#5635 - in reply to #4573)

Bruce - you promised me you wouldn't tell!! I am absolutely mortified!

Posted 2004-04-23 8:48 PM (#5637 - in reply to #5635)

But SO limber when you're drunk--especially in camel..

Kathy Ann - 2004-04-23 7:42 PM

Bruce - you promised me you wouldn't tell!! I am absolutely mortified!
hot4yoga
Posted 2004-04-23 9:06 PM (#5640 - in reply to #4573)

Hiya Kathy! I am in Chgo and will be moving to Miami Beach on May 1st. I've done Bikram in NYC-4 studios, Chgo-3 studios and Miami-one.

Just saw a bit of Tony's website and I'm impressed. I'd love to try his classes if I'm ever in SF.

The thing about instructors who let people walk in and out of rooms and "do their own thing" in class, is that I personally find it very distracting. The NYC folks would really insist that you wait till the pose was done b4 walking out and/or you just sit out the pose if it got too much. My studio in Chgo is a bit too nilly willy about sticking to the doing ALL the poses twice and it kills me when they "cut corners" just because the class is running 5 mins over!!!

Edited by hot4yoga 2004-04-23 9:07 PM
Deelited
Posted 2004-04-24 1:11 PM (#5658 - in reply to #4573)

Hot4Yoga - i know what you're saying about being 'distracted' - however, those who are distracted are those that aren't directing full focus within themselves - ultimate goal of yoga to maximize benefits for body, mind and soul. and i have been to many bikram yoga studios over the course of my 8 years of bikram practice and i'm sure you know that some studios keep their heat cranked up way higher than others - also the number of students in the studio, size of the studio, what you had to eat that day, how much sleep you had or how many beers you've been drinking can always affect your ability to hang in there in a bikram class. those people who step out of the room - i have on a few occasions to run cold water on my forearms as i've passed out and been sick to my stomach - know their limitations and know when they need to take a breather or not. everyone's limitations are different. people can die from dehydration. i'll leave it at that. i also believe that choosing a type of yoga is like choosing a particular diet plan. it's all about what makes sense to you and what suits you best. if bikram is your thing, great. i'm just sharing the knowledge that i've gained from educating myself more about the benefits of doing the postures as they were originally created - which still give you an amazing athletic workout but without the risk of injury. good luck with your move to miami beach and if anyone ever wants to come out to sf to take a class with tony - give me a shout.
LoraB
Posted 2004-04-24 5:31 PM (#5663 - in reply to #4573)

Hot4yoga,

Do you recommend any particular studio/teacher in chicago? I've yet to try bikram, but definitely intrigued. Planning on giving it a go in the next couple of weeks before it actually gets as miserable outside as it sounds like it must be in the studio.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-04-24 7:14 PM (#5664 - in reply to #5658)

I agree with Deelited about the differences in yoga as Tony teaches and as Bikram teaches.
I've got hundreds of hours of practice in both styles of yoga. There's
no comparison in terms of either the quality of the sequences or the liklihood of injury. Bikram
yoga is narrow and contains lots of great opportunities to injure your knees or get heat
stroke (we actually had a guy have a heart attack in my local Bikram studio). Tony has not
gone to excessive heat or long stands on a hyperextended knee. But the best
part of Tony's yoga, IMHO, is that it has advanced versions, so that you aren't stuck at the
beginner level forever. Bikram simply doesn't offer this.

I do appreciate that it's a whole lot easier to find a Bikram studio than a Yoga Challenge studio,
at present, but you can always work with your Bikram teacher. Most of them are interested
in helping you learn yoga, avoid injury, and advance. It's only the outliers who insist on
keeping the studio at 105 F or who tell you that you can't vary the poses to avoid ruining
your knees. If you run into teachers like that, my advice is LEAVE. Odds are that all they
know about yoga is a memorized "dialog" and that they don't know the difference between
a straight knee and a hyperextended one. It's YOUR yoga, after all, and the studio is not
Marine Bootcamp.

It would be inappropriate for me to list the names of Bikram studios to avoid, but in my travels
I've run into two or three that I wouldn't send my enemies to....
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)