YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga for Colon problems
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

jacqueline8
Posted 2004-03-01 7:47 PM (#4225)
Subject: Yoga for Colon problems

I have crohn's disease which is currently in remission but for the past year I have been suffering with colonic transit problems similar to ibs/constipation, and I get quite a lot of discomfort on the right side of my abdomen which is generally caused by bloating/gas.

I am familar with the practice of yoga and do a yoga zone video every day so I am quite flexible, but this is just a flow sequence and does not concentrate on particular postures. Are there any postures anyone would recommend for speeding up transit time in the intestines/peristalis and for relieving pain in this area? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Alex
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-12 7:44 PM (#4421 - in reply to #4225)
Subject: RE: Yoga for Colon problems

I'm sorry Alex. I would have thought there would be at least one forum adminstrator who would remove annoying, intrusive, self-serving promotions from the boards, but evidently I'm wrong.

There are some asanas that are good for digestion, in that they are said force peristalisis. I would think that regulating that would help with the back-up you're feeling in the ascending colon.

My suggestion would be to (give up the videos and get a good teacher) get a copy of Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika. There are sections in the back that list benefits for common ailments. Although it won't list Chrohn's disease specificatlly, you can use the suggested asanas as a guilde.

Know that twists in particular are good for the internal organs, which a video won't detail. You lift on the inhale to make space in the spine and torso, twisting from just above the navel on the exhale. (Think of turning your belly button rather than leading from your head. Keep your chin over your sternum until about the 4th breath.) The action of the breath works the diaphram, providing a kind of pumpnig action on the restricted organs.

Virasana, Supta Virasana and Salamba Baddha Konasana are good for digestion as well. Flexibility has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

As far as relieving pain? That's such a tough one for Crohn's. Being an immune system problem, it's unfortunately different in almost everyone, although symptoms can be the same. I would do things to stimulate my immune system, such as lots of Matsyendrasana and Matsyasana, which is said to stimulate the thymus glands, which work with the immune system. Work with asanas that stimulate the adrenals, as well.

Frankly, I think the yoga zone videos (most videos - nothing personal) are contra indicated because they can never address you and your physical condition as an individual. Look at your life to see where you spend money. Yoga classes run as little as $10.00 a class. Surely you're worth that to find someone who specializes in Special Conditions who can help you with a really miserable condition.

BTW, did you know they're linking Crohn's to people who have huge growth spurts in their adolescence? That doesn't mean they got tall, necessarily, but that they grew rapidly. My husband's family has this, along with IBS, diverticulosis, and acid reflux that would eat the silver off a spoon. His father died of untreated Crohn's, which was an ugly, painful and horrifiying way to go. The doctors don't know how he endured the pain. My point in that is to please work with your physicians. There has been great success working with different dietary treatments. I believe one showing promise has to do with avoiding grain, white flours, processed sugars, and other things that promote yeast. Kind of like that candida diet a while back. But like I said and as you probably know, everyone seems to be different.

Best of luck and I wish you relief!
Christine
jacqueline8
Posted 2004-03-28 8:26 PM (#4925 - in reply to #4225)

Thank you so much for your response Christine. I have been trying the twists you suggested for the last couple of days and they really do seem to be relieving some of my symptoms. Since a lot of the pain is a result of symtoms such as build up and gas, the twists are helping to alieviate this also.

I think you are right about the videos. Although I find them interesting, you cannot ask them questions and lack the variety gained through classes.

Many thanks for your advice and thoughts,

Alex
Timothy
Posted 2004-05-24 10:41 AM (#6732 - in reply to #4925)

Hi Alex,

You may find the article I wrote for my site, YogaBasics.com very helpful. Yoga Rx for Digestive Complaints http://www.yogabasics.com/articles/digestion.html

There is also a yoga therapy resource page for IBS and digestive complaints on the premium section of the site that contains lists of yoga poses based upon GI symptoms as well as a "strengthening digesion sequence" of poses.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-24 5:59 PM (#6761 - in reply to #4225)

Jacqlin:
For your colon and digesting related problems. Follow the following:

a) either completely fast or go on liquid preferably fruit juice diet for upto 6 months.
b) also take upto 14 or more hours rest each day.
c) take lot of mild sunshine.
d) do not stress yourself.

e) after the discomfort disappears eat mostly fruit and all things whole means in a raw form.
f) any cooked food should be whole, for example brown rice instead of white, whole wheat instead of floor, green mung instead of yellow. etc.

And, perform inverted poses.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-24 8:53 PM (#6768 - in reply to #4225)

Alex,
I would take that last bit of advice with not only a grain of salt, but a balanced diet of whole foods that include protein, fat and carbs. I wouldn't recommend many, if any at all, humans 1) fast for 6 months, 2) eat a preponderance of one of the 3 mandatory food groups humans need for health, digestion and processing intake, and 3) throw themselves into inversions without seeing them, their physical condition, and their practice.

I also hope you're continuing to do with the Crohn's. Knowing the pain, bloating and hot flashes (among many other debilitating symptoms) it can bring, it's a tough disease to work with.

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-25 12:36 PM (#6793 - in reply to #4225)

Dear Jaqlin:
While I accept the typo mistake in my typing, or even my lack of english, and also apologize for this, I am sure you have more common sense (and not equal or more stupidity) than the previous writer. I am sure you understand that I meant

a) Go on complete fasts of comfortable durations from time to time for 6 months.

b) OR, take complete fruitxxxx diet for 6 months.

Regards
Neel kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-25 1:58 PM (#6798 - in reply to #4225)

Good God.
I stand behind what I said. "Fasting" on fruit for six months is hardly a balance.
One can never make assumptions that someone "..knew what I meant" when one is reading orders, er, I meant "advice" from someone who gives directives.

With Crohn's, I would also not recommend fasting. Whole foods have become recognized to help with some of the pain and vicious cramping. It's believed that the processes and chemicals irritate this autoimmune disease.

As I said, taking someone at face value is what we do online. I could never assume someone meant anything other than what they wrote. That is why when in doubt, one asks for clarification before jumping to conclusions -- or maing assumptions. It would be wrong to read something into something else that one might prefer to be reading. IOW, look and ye shall find. That's maya, if I'm not mistaken. And although I'd never call another poster stupid, I sure would call their advice or behavior such. Even with the "clarification" above, I wouldn't just jump into those suggestions. Given the fact Alex, that you're working with your Crohn's and I live with it every day in my husband and his family, I'm confident you'll investigate.

I hope the asana are helping you with the initial problem that caused you to write.

Christine

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-25 2:45 PM (#6804 - in reply to #4225)

Dear Jaqlin:
You are welcome to visit me any time to confirm my fitness, appearance, or whatever. I can assure you that I have lived continuously only on fruit without taking any other thing including water. I only took some hot caffinated tea which I started at age 4. And, I have not done this only once.

In 1999, I also fasted with no food except pure water and hot tea, for continuous 25 days, and I worked in office during this period, and I have witnesses who visited me in that period. My weight loss in this period was only 4 pounds.

But, I wish you all the best.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-25 3:43 PM (#6806 - in reply to #6804)

I'm sorry.
I had no idea you were suffering from Crohn's. You did not make that clear as you were dishing out advise.

Your expertise in this matter comes from personal experience?

Because current recommendations are that fasting is very contra indicated for this disease and its sister, ulcerative colitis. A regular, steady, balanced food intake prevents sudden bursts of acids and enzymes which irritate ulcerations in the colon. Steady peristolosis (sp?) is also desired, rather than starting and stoping, creating cramps and rapid, projectile-like elimination.

Did your fasting eliminate (as it were) these symptons and those of Alex's while in his remission?

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-25 5:49 PM (#6813 - in reply to #4225)

All the symptoms of all diseases are only AS SUCH, meaning they are only symptoms. When the elimination is complete, all symptoms subside. Nothing should be done to subside the symptoms, including Yoga Exercise. Fasting is the best means of elimination and is the best and fastest way to healing. What happens on the way is what the person has to decide whether to accept, tone down, etc.

If a particular juice is giving irritation another may be tried. If everything is irritating, complete fasting must be done for comfortable durations.

If one is interested in Mock Ups, they should try therapeutics.

All the names of various diseases are names of various symptoms. All disease is elimination of toxic.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-25 11:54 PM (#6828 - in reply to #6813)

So in a word, no, you don't have personal experience with Crohn's.

Fasting is contra indicated, whether you choose to believe it or not. I can tell you from first-hand experience how horribly intense the symptoms can be if one with the active disease does not eat something small on a regular basis. And trust me, elimination is a major issue with Crohn's.

I suggest you be a little more circumspect offering blanket advice without first hand knowledge. There are too many desparate people looking everywhere for solutions to their pain, who don't stop to think about what's being offered and by whom. There is no all-time solution to every case/condition, every time. Throw in humanity and situations change.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-26 11:05 AM (#6848 - in reply to #4225)

There is NO question that Fasting is the ONLY solution which is common to all Elimination problems. Whether one can endure the situation is a personal matter. And, I am not to decide what one should do or not, including what one should write in the Bulletin board. Mine is to provide the understanding I know for sure.

YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-26 12:30 PM (#6854 - in reply to #6848)

kulkarnn - 2004-05-26 11:05 AM

... And, I am not to decide what one should do or not, including what one should write in the Bulletin board. Mine is to provide the understanding I know for sure.

And thank you for qualifying that this is not one of those circumstances of something you >>know for sure.<<

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-26 3:34 PM (#6866 - in reply to #4225)

There is actually no need to know of this situation for sure. Because all elimination diseases are but names of the same disease. The name depends on the location and nature of symptom. But, the solution to all Elimination is Fasting for Sure. NO MORE COMMENTS ON THIS. BECAUSE I WAS ANSWERING ORIGINAL QUESTION TO MY KNOWLEDGE . I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ARGUEMENTS WITH YOU.

NEEL KULKARNI WWW.AUTHENTICYOGA.ORG
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-26 9:26 PM (#6881 - in reply to #6866)

Funny.
All I care about is clarity, accuracy and concern for the actual human.
I didn't realize you were arguing. Sorry I missed that in you!

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)