YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

YogaDancer
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Kimj81
Posted 2004-02-12 6:47 PM (#3705)
Subject: YogaDancer

I saw your answers to people's questions about the SI joint in the Bikram forum. I read it all thoroughly, so you don't need to go over the same stuff again. But I was just wondering what you would think about this. I strained my SI doing squats at the gym (I needed to drop the weight, but didn't want to make the big clangy noise. Stupid, I know... NOW!) I've been slowly trying to strengthen the area for the last 3 months and have just in the last few weeks started taking Ashtanga classes (I've never done yoga before...), which I adore. I don't have any significant pain unless I've been sitting for more than 8 hours (like a long drive). But, I am deathly afraid of reinjuring the SI because it was just sooo painful and kept me out of work for over a week. Do you think it's wise to continue doing Ashtanga? Or should I try something else? Perhaps there are just some poses that I should avoid?

Thanks so much! It's been so difficult to find any information on this injury!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-13 2:32 AM (#3720 - in reply to #3705)
Subject: RE: YogaDancer

I'm glad you adore Ashtanga, Kim, but my advice holds. You are absolutely correct in being afraid of reinjuring your sacrum. Particularly as assisted as Ashtanga is. When someone else is manipulating your body, you add in huge risk factors, no matter how gentle they think they might be.
Ashtanga itself is not for beginners, in my opinion, no matter how much Ashtangis will tell you otherwise.
You're evidently strong, but strength cannot get you through asanas that require equal flexibility. (Do you have that?) People tend to push, and that creates its own set of repetative stress injuries (RSIs). Plus, Ashtanga does not believe in modifications for something like your lower back, just those assists.

I wouldn't tell you not to do it, (although I'd hope you'd have discovered some other type of yoga such as Anusara or Iyegnar first,) but I would suggest you add something such as these into your schedule that will help you with the form and alignment necessary to build strength in the lower back and flexibility in the tighter areas.

That said, like dropping the weights, you MUST take responsibility for your practice.

No assists in forward bends (paschimottanasana, uphavista konasana, janu sirsasanas, baddha konasana). These will pop your sacrum pretty easily.
Watch it in twists. (Marichyasanas, Janu Sirsasanas again, Parivrtta Trikonasana in particular and Parivrtta Parsva Konasana) If you're not extending your spine really, really long out of your pelvis before you twist? The pressure is on the SI joint and the sacrum runs the risk of popping. I don't know your flexibility level, but I doubt you've the open chest area not to hunch in the seated twists. Most humans don't at first. I've been practicing for years, Ashtanga for 6 (or is it 8 now?), and I'm still tight across the upper back, so I don't extend enough in these asanas. My point is not to be shy about saying "not in this pose" to a helpful teacher.

Plus, the Ashtanga experience is to work through an injury, not to address it. It's not in the training, just as it's not in the Bikram realm. But there is no working through a true SI issue. It's a manual adjustment. This is one place a good chiropractor or osteopath is invaluable. PTs don't normally learn how to do it.

So I realize this is a mixed answer. To avoid all the asanas I've mentioned, you've deleted 1/2 of the practice. This to me says yes, perhaps it would be wiser to start with something else. But I know you'd not find it as interesting, because I'm willing to bet you've been seduced by that "workout" feeling, vs. the actual meditational quality you've not yet experienced in led classes. It's one of the things that draws folks out of the gyms to Ashtanga. Believe it or not, the feeling is frequently that most "gym rats" will hurt themselves because of the push and competativeness they bring and go away, leaving the studio for those who actually practice. I don't say this to be mean, but to let you know we see the push a lot. It's not necessary at all, and it's OK to just be. Practice what's right for you and only you, OK?

You know your body is a treasure. Train it wisely with something that helps you move through an Ashtanga practice safely. Perhaps that's better said. For example, I have my own "theory" classes: Anusara and Iyengar. Just for the form and alignment. I want it in my muscle memory. My "practice" is Ashtanga, through which I move safely because of the former two yoga traditions. So I equip myself as best I can, to be able to better enjoy something I love without sacral or RSI issues.

Does that makes sense or am I rambling at 2:30 am?
Christine

Christine
Kimj81
Posted 2004-02-13 12:17 PM (#3724 - in reply to #3705)

Thanks so much. I'm going to print out your reply. In the class I go to, the only times the teacher has given me any assistance is a spot in shoulderstand or headstand. I've never experienced any pain in the SI region during or after classes. And I definitely would not continue a pose if I felt so much as a twinge. That injury has taught me to be very sensitive to the delineation between good and bad pain. The act of injuring myself was not very painful, but the aftermath was horrible. I think I hadn't recognized it as bad pain because it wasn't intense pain. It was hard lesson that the two are not synonomous and in listening to one's body.

Unfortunately, I've paid for a series of Ashtanga classes and it's not transferable to other classes at the same studio. So, it's not really possible for me to delay the Ashtanga. But I think I will take your advice and start taking an Iyengar class in addition. As I've read more about various poses, I've realized that my class has given me minimal knowledge of correct form and had been thinking about filling myself in by taking some Iyengar anyhow.

It's interesting what you said about the gym rat's experience in yoga (though, for clarity's sake, I'm no gym rat. Weights are one little part of what I do to stay active, most of which occurs outside, weather permitting.) Personally, I've had a slightly different experience than the one described. Yes, I am pretty strong in the gym (oh and yes, I naturally have above average flexibility, but nothing spectacular). I lift pretty good amounts for a woman my size. But yoga strength has proved to be something else entirely. The strength required in yoga is much more static than that in the gym. My arms and legs are used to moving quickly through the most difficult part of a lift. And I went to Ashtanga and often had to hold it there and even with just my body weight, it was challenging and very new to my body. I found myself fairly sore the next day (not too sore). I'm actually a little intimidated about going to an Iyengar class, because as I've heard, the poses are held for quite some time. To me, that sounds more challenging!

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that I understand that yoga is very different than any activity I've chosen before. And while yes, I'd like to get better and challenge myself, I don't walk into the class thinking I should be able to do well because I can bench a lot. The first class, yes, I'll admit I didn't think it'd be that hard. But after that, I realize that I'm a beginner and will be for quite some time! I think to anyone who's paying any attention, yoga should quickly tell them to be humble in their approach.

Also, I do enjoy the feeling I get after yoga, but it's not necessarily a "workout" feeling or a meditative feeling (I admit to having a huge deficiency in this area. I have not come close to learning to slow down my mind enough to even PRETEND to be meditative!) I really appreciate how my body feels. Kind of hard to describe, but for instance, my neck always makes a bit of noise (maybe not a noise, but I can feel the "gears moving") as I move it and is in general very tight . For a few hours after class, this tension and grinding in this area is released. That's really something. But my whole body is like that. Just.... free-er (I have no idea how to spell that correctly!) I think it must have something to do with building up all that heat and then relaxing for 15 minutes or so in corpse pose.

Thank you again, so much, for your advice. I will take the poses you mention very easy and will take as many Iyengar classes as I can afford. By the way, I say Iyengar rather than Anusara becuase that's what's offered at my studio.

Thank you!!!

-Kim
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-13 1:52 PM (#3726 - in reply to #3705)

It really sounds like you're on the right track and have a great attitude towards it. The fact you're looking at the practice for how it can work for you, not how you can get through it, seems great to me. Wanting to learn more about yoga is a great step, too, because in my opinion, no one system is right or wrong, and no one system works for everyone. There are steps I'd recommend, but I'm the first to tell you it's my opinion and not law. It depends upon age, physical ability and condition, purpose, you name it!

Don't worry too much about holding the poses in Iyengar. As a beginner, they should do more in-and-out-repeats of the poses vs. long holds. Take your Ujjiyi breathing into the Iyengar class, use your bandhas and that makes holdings easier -- in my experience. Also, although they'd drum me out of the Anusara organization, it was my opinion in the beginning that Anusara was Iyengar with pretty languaging. I've come to find it's so much more, and that pretty languaging did add beauty to both my Iyengar and Anusara practice. But my point is that either is fantastic and can help you with a safe foundation for an Ashanga practice.

Iyengar can be rather dry and detail oriented, but you sure learn a heck of a lot!

Do be careful. Extend, extend, extend and just say No! if your feeling at all tight or have aches back there. I never asked if you've seen someone for this injury. If you have not, look into it!? It is a manual manipulation for most people but provides almost instant relief, unlike many back issues.

So let me know how it goes. Have fun!
Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)