YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Difference Pilates and Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

mary
Posted 2004-01-24 2:13 PM (#3316)
Subject: Difference Pilates and Yoga

What is the differance between yoga and pilates?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Emily
Posted 2004-01-29 9:52 AM (#3398 - in reply to #3316)
Subject: RE: ---

Pilates is a purely physical practice and workout.  Yoga can be a physical practice and a workout, but it's goals are not just physical - but emotional and spiritual.  Of course, there are people who use yoga as a "workout" and do not focus on it's psycological and spiritual goals.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Namaste,

Emily

mary
Posted 2004-02-08 11:10 AM (#3591 - in reply to #3316)
Subject: RE: Difference Pilates and Yoga

Thanks for your response Emily. You say that Yoga can be a physical workout and spirtual workout. What do you mean by "can"? Does that mean there are some styles of yoga that are not a physical workout compared to other styles.
I am interested in both physical and spirtual workout. What style of Yoga would you suggest?
Rene
Posted 2004-03-21 8:51 PM (#4715 - in reply to #3591)

In the east people use the word YOGA for the spiritual path and not necessary pgysical excercise. E.G Bakhti yoga teaches you to serve for others, Raja yoga is also called the Royal as it involves deep meditiation and evenattempt of levitation. In the popular Western culture we know yoga as a physical excercise only and relaxation. There are also various types of this yoga. Bikram yoga is like areobic in a very hot room; Astanga yoga can be very challenging physically. Both yoga and pilates are involving also controled breathing. Apart from physical excercises yoga suppose to involve also meditation. I am afraid that in practice most of the yoga classes are based in 99% on physical excercise with few minutes or relaxation. As far as meditation is concerned it is not the strongest point of our Western culture. Most of yoga instructors will tell you to relax and breath deeply and that is theirs concept of meditation only. I wouldn't be sure about this spiritual element in group yoga classes. I personally believe that spirituality is something really private and cannot be learned in any classes. Spirutality tend to like solitude and dislike crowds
Thorought the last 5 years I have been lifting weights, running, and attending yoga and pilates classes. You have to try all o it and decide what suits you best. I have grown to like pilates as they strenghten my abs as non of other sports! The psychological effect is great! But a lot of depends on a good teacher.
GOOD LUCK!
carly
Posted 2004-03-22 8:57 PM (#4752 - in reply to #3316)

She'll need the good luck...LOL
Madeleine
Posted 2004-04-17 11:45 PM (#5470 - in reply to #4715)

I couldn`t agree with you more. I`m 61 years old, and I have been doing some level one yoga for 35 years or so, but when I discovered Pilates in London about 20 years ago it made a huge difference to my posture and figure and I noticed that there were quite a few elderly women among the regulars at the studio I went to, and they all had terrific bodies!
So I concentrated on Pilates and only recently came back to yoga. I realize I missed the guidance and wisdom of good yoga teachers. But good teaching is the key, and both yoga and pilates are wonderful.
Cheers, Deirdre
monica
Posted 2004-05-07 7:47 PM (#6113 - in reply to #3316)

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-07 10:19 PM (#6123 - in reply to #3316)

Dr. Pilates got almost all ideas in Pilates from Yoga during his rehabilitation work for wounded soldiers. Pilates is Yoga - mind. Therefore it is much easier in long run for an averagely dedicated student. Yoga requires more dedication in long run, but gives tremendous benefits beyond body, and even mind, that is Spiritual. The origin all martial arts is in Yoga. Refer to History of Yoga by Vivian Worthington, of London.

Actually, there is no other older system to Yoga known for Physical/Mental/Spiritual wellbeing of Human beings.

neel kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Posted 2004-05-11 9:09 PM (#6257 - in reply to #3591)

HI MARY IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT GO TO WWW.WINSORPILATES.COM YOGA IS NO GOOD JUST DO WHAT I TELL YOU.IF YOU WANT TO LOOSE WEIGHT.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-12 11:08 AM (#6279 - in reply to #3316)

Mary' Question:
Thanks for your response Emily. You say that Yoga can be a physical workout and spirtual workout. What do you mean by "can"? Does that mean there are some styles of yoga that are not a physical workout compared to other styles.
I am interested in both physical and spirtual workout. What style of Yoga would you suggest?

Answer: Since some of the questions are embedded with a topic which is different from these questions, they get unseen. Anyway, Mary: Physical Work Out means challenging your body beyond its current capacity. You can do it any way you like, for example running a lot, or eating a lot. When you do Yoga, you use lot of mind with this and therefore it becomes more subtle. For example try to stretch the hand as done in Pilates. And then try to do stretching of a spinal cord while standing straight on the ground, not bending or something and see whether you can get the same feel in the spinal cord as in the hand. This will require lot of mental focus.

Now, coming to Spiritual workout, there is NO Spiritual Workout to be done with the body. However, a strong body is a step towards this. All the spiritual workout is done only with the Mind, it is called Meditation. The nature of this work out is to reduce mental activity at will. This way, you will get into a state called Superconscious which is the beginning of Spirituality. If you try to work out meaning do something mental or physical after this, you will lower yourself.

Thus, you practice physical workout of your choice. Then, do meditation for spiritual work out. If you want to combine both, then try chanting silently during physical workout, and it will be difficult to start with.

Best Luck Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)