YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inverted poses - a delicate subject
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Lucy
Posted 2004-01-03 3:40 PM (#3027)
Subject: Inverted poses - a delicate subject

Hello,

While doing inverted yoga poses, is there a way to avoid the "vaginal flatulence"? For example, alignment when you go up? Tighten the stomach? Keep the legs together? Any comments on personal experience would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 2004-05-10 7:43 AM (#6161 - in reply to #3027)
Subject: RE: Inverted poses - a delicate subject

tighten your buttocks - really pull your tailbone in
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-10 9:41 AM (#6164 - in reply to #3027)

Do NOT clench your butt. That is not your answer. Geesh.

Do a search and learn about aboug Mula and Uddiyana Bandha. Those are the "locks" engaged by the muscles of the perineum and lower abdomen. You're essentially letting your belly and genetalia flap in the wind.

Since you mentioned a "delicate subject" think of lifting the perineum as though you were drawing up down there. Not cutting off a flow of urine, but using a tampon. (I know. Too much information!) Think of the lower belly muscles as from the navel to the pubis. Every woman in the US holds in her tummy, so think lower part of it.

These bandas help a lot with core strength, stability in poses, increasing heat and energy, and elongation of the spine. In the energy body, it's said to work with the pana and apana vayus.

Minimum, you won't have vaginal noises causing you and everyone else around you to jump.

Do not clench your butt. That creates tension and gives your tailbone no place to move.

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-10 10:46 AM (#6172 - in reply to #3027)

Lucy: I apologize to answer without a personal experience, which I can not have. But, I have enough credential to answer this. Do NOT tighten anything very hard, and follow any locks in a hurried manner. These things need to be built in a gradual fashion and they are not done to stop V flatulance. You can stop V f by tightening parts, but you may develop another problem.

To give a bad example: Your neck is weak and you make it hard to stay in a Headstand. Fine, you can stay in Headstand, but then neck will break one day and then Head is separated from the rest of the body.

This must be done in a gradual fashion with an experienced professional or just do it slowly and then test your V f from time to time to see improvement.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2004-05-10 10:49 AM (#6173 - in reply to #6164)

I learned a lot from Guru Christine's answer--especially about all women holding their bellies in--thought just we guys did that--hmmmm, what else do the opposite sexes have in common that I didn't know about???
kate0278
Posted 2005-02-16 11:53 AM (#17028 - in reply to #3027)

I used to have a real problem with this when moving from shoulderstand to plough. I found the answer was to move in a much more slow and controlled way, and to keep my breath very steady and calm.

Yes, the embarassment of a vaginal Pffff helped my yoga improve! See how much the guys are missing
itchytummy
Posted 2005-02-25 3:57 PM (#17712 - in reply to #17028)

kate0278 - 2005-02-16 8:53 AM
Yes, the embarassment of a vaginal Pffff helped my yoga improve! See how much the guys are missing

Oh, the hilarious things one can find on yoga.com!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-25 10:49 PM (#17753 - in reply to #17712)

Expert Yogi

I think that it must take a well tuned ear to distinguish a V Pfff from a[n A] fart.

(Apologies to the Lady YogaDancer, who I have learned from other threads does
not have the f word in her vocabulary).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)