YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and scoliosis
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Audrey
Posted 2003-11-18 7:16 PM (#2704)
Subject: Yoga and scoliosis

Hi

I am new to this forum. I am a female, age 29. Had scoliosis since age of 12. Just recently heard Yoga may help to reduce scoliosis. Anyone has positive results?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Misa
Posted 2003-12-03 8:09 PM (#2793 - in reply to #2704)
Subject: RE: Yoga and scoliosis

Hi, I also have the same problem as you!
Have you got any information about Yoga?? I want to cure Scoliosis!
dor
Posted 2003-12-03 9:35 PM (#2795 - in reply to #2704)

yoga is the best.There are several characteristic curvatures of the vertebral column:sacrum,convex toward the back ...concave lumbar region(the term "lordosis" can refer either to an exaggeration of this curvture, or to the normal condition)...convex thoracic region (kyphosis). an abnormal lateral curvature of the thoracic region is scoliosis.....concave cervical....ask your doctor or 2 or 3 which of these you suffer from.please find a teacher with certification !!!!!!V.I.P.a yogi or yogini will know the proper asana's (postures) to help you live your best life.namaste.....love,peace and light
Dr. kenley reme
Posted 2004-04-13 6:24 PM (#5359 - in reply to #2704)

my name is kenley remen. i am a medical doctor with scoliosis. i corrected it with yoga and accupuncture. accupuncture seems to "loosen" the spine and using the breath to elongate the spine in different positions of the spine brings the spine back into allingment. But all scolioses have tightness of hips and really the rest of the body that needs to be adressed, also. It was an amazing exploration of the body in this process which took about six months.
Posted 2004-04-22 12:20 AM (#5571 - in reply to #5359)

Do you recommend any books on yoga for scoliosis? Most yoga books don't really cater to scoliosis. Thank you.
karen
Posted 2004-04-24 11:24 AM (#5655 - in reply to #5571)

I recently bought the video Yoga for Scholiosis by Elise Browning Miller for my daughter (advertised in Yoga Journal). It has given her a lot of helpful information on how to move and hold her back and also relief from some discomfort. I would highly recommend it. It can be found at www.yogaforscoliosis.com . Good luck.
Ran
Posted 2004-04-27 12:07 PM (#5747 - in reply to #2704)

I have a 59/50 degrees double scoliosis. Would yoga help at all or is it too severe?
Neel Kulkarni
Posted 2004-05-01 8:13 AM (#5867 - in reply to #2704)

Ran:
Of course, this is a personal suggestion. For your condition, you must take a personal lesson from an experienced Yoga Teacher. If you are near Virginia call me. www.authenticyoga.org
Timothy
Posted 2004-05-01 9:24 PM (#5878 - in reply to #2704)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I've written an article on "Yoga Therapy for Scoliosis" for my website Yoga Basics here: http://www.yogabasics.com/articles/scoliosis.html

And there is also a complete list of yoga postures that benefit Scoliosis in Yoga Basics' premium yoga therapy section.
Blossom
Posted 2004-05-11 4:37 PM (#6238 - in reply to #2704)

My eighteen year old daughter had a 42° curve in the thoracis-lumbar section of her spine and 22° curve in the upper thoracic region. Two out of three top surgeons in NYC said she should have surgery sooner rather than later. She has been following a program of yoga for six months and was then x rayed. She now has a 32° degree curve in the thoracic-lumbar section and a 24° curve in the upper thoracic region. Prior to the yoga she was living on Advil and Alleve for back pain. She has only needed medicine on one occasion since starting the yoga and that was after a day of snowboarding and driving for four hours. If you do decide to try yoga try to find some one who is knowledgable in both yoga and scoliosis. This won't be easy. Elise Miller's video and book are an excellent place to start but it is important to have someone observe to make sure you're positioning yourself correctly.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-11 5:01 PM (#6242 - in reply to #2704)

All those who got success with their Scoliosis problem and have retained their success for a prolonged time, and this happened using Yoga, Please Please Please: Inform the questioners:

Whether you took Yoga from an Instructor or from a book in a book shop, or a video from the Food market. Also, tell how long each day you did.

Thanks Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Misa
Posted 2004-05-12 8:27 AM (#6270 - in reply to #2704)

I do yoga for scoliosis everyday by Ellise Miller.
Has anyone been to her workshop?? I heard her curveture reduced from 49 to around 35.
But I want to know is her students got good results too..
Misato
Posted 2004-05-12 8:59 AM (#6271 - in reply to #5878)

HI, Timothy! lI saw your web page and it was really good Thank you very much, I am mis from Japan have a 25 curved spine. I do for scoliosis everyday. I am trying to reduce my curveture...
I am thinking to go to Ellise miller yoga workshop, but have you heard of that??If you have attended before, ccould you let me know how it was...?
Thank you very much
Misato
Lindsay
Posted 2004-05-20 12:11 PM (#6629 - in reply to #2704)

I have been taking yoga classes and I feel much more aligned! I am not sure if my curve has corrected, but I do feel much better. Has anyone had success correcting the twisting of the spine? I would love to correct some of the rib protrusion.

I would also like to suggest trigger point massage. It has helped relieve my pain more than anything else.

http://www.ctds.info/sciatica-treatment.html

This website has been my savior! The main site http://www.ctds.info is a great place to start if you are interested in more than just trigger point massage. There is also several section on scoliosis and yoga.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-20 10:20 PM (#6645 - in reply to #2704)

Correction of any postural problem is possible when a

- a counter pose is performed within limits
- a sufficient rest is taken
- the counter pose is accurate
- the body part is not deteriorated beyond repair.
- a sufficient amount of cournter pose is done.

It does not matter which parts are involved. To comment on exact pose, one has to see you.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
A_Sappa
Posted 2004-05-24 12:50 PM (#6739 - in reply to #2704)

Does anyone have information on doing yoga with a fused spine?

Any information on Yoga instructors with info about scoliosis in Minnesota?

Does health insurance help with yoga if it is for your scoliosis?

Thanks in advance for anyone with help!
I've already order The yoga for scoliosis DVD but would like to have a personnel lesson to make sure I'm doing this right!
Jan
Posted 2004-06-02 8:02 AM (#7074 - in reply to #5359)

Hi Denley,

I am very happy that you corrected your scoliosis for 6 months! I am eager to know what you had done.

I've been practising yoga for 2 years, and found that my spine has been straighten up a bit. Recently I am practising camel pose, it's very hard, but it seems to work the best.

Can you let me know what sort accupuncture and yoga pose you have had, how frequent and how long for each session?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Jan
bssoll
Posted 2008-01-10 12:58 PM (#101791 - in reply to #6238)

Hi-I just saw your post, although I see that it is old. I live in NYC, and my daughter has been doing I yengar yoga for the last 2 years for scoliosis, although her practice has been weak at home. I have not x-rayed her recently, but she is probably at about 50/30 degrees. How long did your daughter practice per day or per week, and where? How is her back today?

Thanx-

brooke
tourist
Posted 2008-01-10 6:30 PM (#101808 - in reply to #101791)

Expert Yogi

Brooke - please see my answer under the Bikram thread. How old is your daughter?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)