YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga and weight loss
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

Rebecca
Posted 2003-09-30 1:28 PM (#2460)
Subject: yoga and weight loss

I am 18 years old and just recently started taking yoga. I picked up Denise Austin's fat burnign yoga tape. I also picked up Denise Austin's pilates for every body. Just in the past 6 months i hae gained like 30 pounds and I am tryign to lose it because gianing that much weight is odd for my body. I hae stayed 140 since I was like 14 so it was a shock to my body. I went through a lot of stress and that is oen of the main reasons why i gained because i quit exercisng regualrly adn i ate worse. So now that i am tryign to get healthy again I decided to try soem new things. Like yoga and pilates, and I am also learning how to rollerblade. So will yoga and pilates help me lose weight. Also eating is a nig problem for me cause i need self control because it has become a past time, i also have problems with emotional ating. SO any help and advice you can give woudl help somuch.
thanks
Rebecca
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Adam
Posted 2003-09-30 5:38 PM (#2461 - in reply to #2460)

I have only been doing yoga for eighteen months (usually 4 times a week), so I am by no means an expert, but as far as weight loss, I think that yoga is a great way to get in touch with your body so you can go down the right path to lose the weight. A lot of people take up a rigorous work out program adn tire themselves out, or get injured, or have unrealistic expectations and get frustrated and give up. Or even worse, they go on a fad diet, and after some initial weight loss they gain it all back, and even more.
How much weight loss you get from the actual practice of yoga is going to depend on what style you do; some are much more intense than others. But once you practice for a few months you will feel yourself wanting to be more active and to eat better, and I think that's where the real benefits come from. Regardless, its got to be better for you than sitting on the couch watching TV and eating junk food.
Posted 2003-10-22 10:57 AM (#2530 - in reply to #2460)

Vigorous yoga can certainly help with weight loss. Both Power Yoga and Ashtanga are known to raise the heartbeat, thereby allowing practicioners to realize aerobic benefits as well as tone muscle. Both aspects of physical fitness are important for losing weight. Aerobic exercise will allow you to burn calories during your workout, while toning muscle will allow you to burn calories even when you are not doing yoga.

If you are interested in finding out more about these types of yoga, please take a look at our store and articles.

In addition, yoga is a practice which endeavors to unify the body, mind and spirit. I personally have found that through my own yoga practice that I have become more aware of my body and have become more sensitive and aware of what I put into my body and its effects.
Nicole
Posted 2003-10-25 3:10 PM (#2541 - in reply to #2460)

Ever thought about doing Atkins? It has helpped me and it is not that bad, you can eat as much as you want! Order a double chesse burger and just take off the bun! They also make sugar free ice cream, milk and atkins has carb free pancakes adn sryup!
Emily
Posted 2003-11-06 7:52 AM (#2593 - in reply to #2541)
Subject: RE: yoga and weight loss

I found the following article on Atkins which enumerates some of the risks:  http://www.leonardfitness.com/atkinsdiet.htm

Atkins has worked well for many people, however, I think it is important to know that it does not come without some cost.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)