YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

Tiffany
Posted 2002-06-01 2:39 AM (#640)
Subject: meditation

Hey, i'm 14 and i really want to know how to learn to meditate. I can not buy books. can some one tell me how?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Zoebird
Posted 2002-06-02 10:56 PM (#644 - in reply to #640)

you are at a great age to start meditating!

And, you don't need to buy books! It's good to learn from a book, and thebest place to find free books is the public library! I recommend Thich Naht Hanh's book Meditation or Eknath Eswaran's Meditation. Both are excellent texts. Honestly, anything by either author is an excellent text. they're two of my favorites.

To start meditating, sit in a comfortable place. Count your breathing.
Alice
Posted 2002-07-09 10:26 PM (#775 - in reply to #640)

Hi
Sally
Posted 2002-07-11 7:05 PM (#778 - in reply to #640)

Don't meditate. Yoga isn't a good thing to get involved in. On the outside it may seem good, but in reality, it's a trap. If you want to meditate on something, meditate on this: John 3:16. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Samir
Posted 2002-07-31 12:49 PM (#843 - in reply to #640)

Hi, Its good to see young people like you are interested in meditation. Well, to meditate, you sit in a folded leg posture with eyes closed and concentrating on you breathing. Do this daily. But be cautious don't do this for more than 10 minutes. And if you are really serious about knowing the more serious type of meditation call me back.
Sunil
Posted 2002-08-03 2:31 AM (#863 - in reply to #640)

Hey! Before you start meditation I would suggest you practice some yoga exercises, particularly balancing ones, as these will develop your concentration. This will also help you with your studies and later in work. The phase of life you are in right now is for learning and playing. Practice meditation to develop concentration and recharge your batteries.
Micki
Posted 2002-09-28 8:16 PM (#1029 - in reply to #640)

Hi. I'm 13 & I do yoga & sometimes I meditate too. If done right meditation can be very stress releasing. It's also fun to experience something different for a change. My favorite way is this (& I don't know if this is a real way or I just made it up) you turn on some nature or just calm music. You sit down in a comfortable place & cross your legs. Make sure your back is straight but not to the point where it's stressful. Then imagine that you are in some nature enviroment like up in the mountains or beside a beautiful lake. Any enviroment your mind want to imagine. And just sit there & gaze at the calmness that surrounds you & the peacfullness is everywhere you look. You totually relax & just sit there forgetting about all the worrys & stresses of the day. And just being there is all that really matters for however long you do the meditation.
Suryabhagavan Pradhanacharya Rishignanam
Posted 2003-01-22 6:36 AM (#1283 - in reply to #640)

22/01/03

dear self

meditation can be given in person.Every act you do in yoga vidya is meditation.According to patanjali meditation is be withyourself. You can view lord Shiva who always in samadhi
which is nirvikalpa samadhi.To know full text about yoga etc. mail your doubts to rishignanam@yahoo.com
Josh
Posted 2003-02-21 3:45 PM (#1365 - in reply to #640)

Oh shut the fuck up!
Josh
Posted 2003-02-21 3:46 PM (#1366 - in reply to #640)

That message was directed toward Sally. Christians!!! Jeez!
jerlin09
Posted 2011-06-11 2:41 AM (#208594 - in reply to #640)
Subject: RE: meditation

New User

Sit with a straight back. Don’t try to meditate lying down because you are likely to fall asleep. Meditation brings relaxation and peace but at the same time this is a dynamic peace. Meditation is quite different than the relaxation of sleep. When we really meditate, we are fully alert and conscious. Our sense of awareness is heightened. Afterwards you’ll have a positive feeling for the world and a renewed sense of dynamism.
Don’t eat before meditating. After a heavy meal your body will be lethargic with digestion.
It is not necessary to mediate in the lotus posture. It is fine to meditate in a chair, as long as the back is straight.
It is helpful to take a shower before meditating.
Burning incense and having a candle are not necessary, but they can add a little extra inspiration.
It is good to meditate early in the morning. It is said the best time is 3am, although, I feel it is more important to be awake and not sleepy, I meditate at 6.30am.
kedar
Posted 2011-12-11 5:18 AM (#209569 - in reply to #640)
Subject: Re: meditation

If you are meditating for health, peace, memory, concentration or entertainment, then you'll be taken for a ride by tons of yoga/spirituality marketing agents. And its not their fault, you've asked for it
jpg
Posted 2011-12-13 1:40 PM (#209590 - in reply to #209569)

Meditating is very useful for health (physical stress reduction), peace (mental stress reduction), memory, concentration and entertainment. In fact, many medical doctors are now recommending meditation for their patients. Meditating for any of these reasons will not make you a victim of the many fraudulent types out there selling false promises any more than eating healthy foods will make you a victim of the many crazy diet sellers.

Why do you meditate?

Why do you think that you are doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong?

Meditation is many different things to many different people. Most of them increase one's health and happiness. The are some, however, that can lead to a disassociation with reality. People seeking health, peace, memory, concentration and entertainment seldom have that problem. People seeking altered states, higher consciousness, astral projections, all sorts of fanciful, magical experiences, and escape often do. They are also more likely to be ripped off by the many cults, "enlightened beings", mediums and "saviors" of the world that have always catered to those who seek that which isn't out of their childish unwillingness to accept that which is.

Edited by jpg 2011-12-13 1:53 PM
alvinsmith
Posted 2011-12-23 2:47 AM (#209685 - in reply to #640)
Subject: RE: meditation

Pick a Good Location. It is vital to find quiet place to meditate. If your space is limited, try searching for an area that is not too cluttered. If you’re unable to find a place that is absolutely quiet, you can also play some music to help you meditate better. But remember, choose music that is soft and soothing. It should not hamper your meditation in any way.
Anchorsmith
Posted 2012-03-21 7:10 PM (#210210 - in reply to #640)

Meditation is the best for the health there are so many benefits of meditation like you can increase the stamina power and memory power,meditation is so good to reduce the blood pressure,you can remove certain problems like heavy weight,heart attack,heart disease etc. these all are the best benefits of meditation.
carmelamturner
Posted 2012-05-08 10:11 AM (#210453 - in reply to #640)

Mediation is spending some time calmly with your eyes closed and chanting mantras like ‘Om’. It is the process of connecting to your inner self and the divine creator. After a long day of hectic professional and personal challenges, you need some time for yourself. You need to relax your mind, body and soul. You need to concentrate on your inner self so that you get to hear the voice of your conscience.
Mediation retreats are specially set up for this purpose. You need a calm and peaceful environment to meditate. One can meditate at home or park but the calm and silence might be absent. For this you can join a retreat that has a proper set up, a calm, serene, tranquil and peaceful environment. While meditating enchanting ‘OM’ or the name of the God you believe in will not only help you get rid of stress but also generate energy and make up for the energy lost in the entire day.
Try meditating at a meditation retreat and get relieved of your stress and Seva.

Edited by carmelamturner 2012-05-08 10:14 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)