YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meaning of Namaste
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

Reddy Palreddy
Posted 2002-02-02 9:26 AM (#148)
Subject: Meaning of Namaste

What is Namaste? I quoting from a book I read recently (Page 242) Title " Am I Hindu?" Author Ed Viswanathan. Sanskrit meaning
"Namas " = to bow in reverential salutation
"Te" = to you.
Therefore "Namaste", I bow to you, reminding that God is everywhere and in every human being we meet anywhere at any time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Subh
Posted 2002-02-20 1:30 PM (#201 - in reply to #148)

Yes you are right
Munishkaushal
Posted 2002-02-22 10:40 AM (#211 - in reply to #148)

Subject : orientation course of three weeks with yoga & massage therapy. We are in the field of yoga & massage for the last more than eight years one of our team member chander kant mishra have a family background of yoga from Agra ( yogkuti since 1959 ). As per your mail you are required permanent massage therapist with yoga experience. In this connection I inform you that we can only conduct special orientation courses for three weeks, in the month of may – June because during this period we have got the vacations. Some people of our group are associated with National Institute Of Sports ( N.I.S patiala ),Punjab state electricity board ( sports cell ) and Punjab state yoga association. We can only offer our services for the conduct of said Subject. None of us is available for doing job at any other places, because we all are government employees. If the said package of course which includes yoga, massage along with the narrator & anchor. Do send the confirmation so that we can plane accordingly.
Arlene
Posted 2002-03-29 8:58 AM (#299 - in reply to #148)

thanks..I just started Yoga and was afraid to ask
Adriana
Posted 2002-05-03 5:15 PM (#456 - in reply to #148)

well, im new practicing yoga as well , i try to find some information and this is what i foud, i hope it helps....

The term Namaste is commonly used within new-age, yoga and reiki circles. It is a respectful greeting, both as a welcome and a saying good-bye. This Sanskrit word was brought to the western world by spiritual seekers in India and Nepal. I’m sure it has become so popular because this salutation addresses the inner man, where western greetings focus on attention for the outer person.

Here are several translations for Namaste:

“I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Truth, of Light, and of Peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, We are One. “

“The God(dess) in me greets and honors the God(dess) in you.”

"I salute the divine qualities in you."

"I salute the God within You."

"My soul bows to your soul.”.

"The Great Perfection within me honors the Great Perfection within you".

As you will notice the salutation Namaste fills one with reverence. The first time I was welcomed with Namaste was on a trip in Nepal, and this greeting called forth feelings of respect, acceptance, openness and love.

Traditionally Namaste is said while bringing together both palms of the hands before the heart in prayer position, and lightly bowing the head and shoulders. Herewith you surrender your ego, show that your hands are unarmed, and that you come in peace. The hands folded in prayer position also symbolize celebration and honor. The left and right hand brought together depict Union and centeredness.

In Namaste you pay honor to the sacredness of all. In this holiness you become still for a moment. While meeting the other one on the level of the heart and soul, the separation between you and me crumbles into pieces; no longer is there another one – there is only One.

Namaste!
Joe
Posted 2002-05-07 12:21 AM (#477 - in reply to #148)

namaste: the unique and divine being in me sees and recognizes your unique and divine center so that we are no longer two seperate creatures, or something kinda like that lol
Ed Viswanathan
Posted 2002-08-03 1:45 PM (#866 - in reply to #148)

AM I A HINDU? international best seller about every aspect of Hinduism in question and answer format--90 chapters.
http://www.amiahindu.com
http://www.udupipages.com/book/hindhu.html

Recently the book is translated to Indonesian language
Am I a Hindu? in INDONESIAN LANGUAGE
Apakah Saya Orang Hindu?
Ed. Visvanathan
N.P. Putra, Sang Ayu Putu Renny
www.saradbali.com/sarads/s1001/cakepan.html
OneLove
Posted 2003-12-29 12:05 PM (#2968 - in reply to #148)
Subject: RE: Meaning of Namaste

I read something as well and my understanding is that "the spirits around me, bows and salutes the spirits around you" is it the same? In my mind it's all good! Namaste
Posted 2004-01-31 10:00 PM (#3434 - in reply to #148)

it means"the divine in me honors and blesses the divine in you." J
Janice
Posted 2004-03-24 1:25 AM (#4798 - in reply to #456)

Can you please tell me where you found these descriptions of Namaste?
Thank you.
Amos
Posted 2004-05-05 4:58 AM (#5978 - in reply to #148)

I have an irreverent yet very serious question.

I am deeply moved by the meaning of Namaste.

I am writing a paper in which I discuss many different philosophical or metaphysical perspectives on existing in the world and co-existing with other people.

I am wondering if there is an opposite phrase to Namasté in sanskrit, or if one could express in sanskrit the following idea:

"The base and ignorant in me hates/resents the base and ignorant in you."

this concept to me represents much of the trouble with western/materialist interaction; although it is unspoken, the principle I describe above is active in many social relations and interaction. My thought is that it may somehow help to acknowledge this, to get it out into the open. Maybe stating it so clearly can serve as a conscious reminder to understand and move past this spiritual obstacle.

Plus, it would be really fun to say in unwelcome social situations! ;)
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-05 1:45 PM (#5997 - in reply to #148)
Subject: Meaning of Namaste - Pal Readdy and Amos

Palreaddy: for meaning of namaste. see www.moksayoga.com. If you have any question write to neel@authenticyoga.org.

Amos:

I am wondering if there is an opposite phrase to Namasté in sanskrit, or if one could express in sanskrit the following idea:
OPPOSITE OF NAMASTE: tiraskaromi te. (I hate you).
"The base and ignorant in me hates/resents the base and ignorant in you."
matsthito heenaH tiraskaroti tvasthito heenaH.

What kind of research is this?

neelkulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-05 10:28 PM (#6022 - in reply to #148)

Addition: To say I hate you, you can also say 'tiraste' (opposite of namaste).
neel
skyguy
Posted 2004-07-07 1:09 AM (#8161 - in reply to #148)

can anyone clarify the pronounciation for me? is it (CAPS on accentted syllable):

1. NAH-mahs-tay (NAH-mas-tay ...etc...)
  2. nah-MAS-tay
  3. nah-mah-STAY

Which is closest?

Thanks!

kulkarnn
Posted 2004-07-07 11:13 AM (#8163 - in reply to #148)

None of these is correct. In your style of writing, it should be:

'namaste' where t is like Restaurante in French.

Posted 2004-07-07 11:15 AM (#8165 - in reply to #8163)

First time I was crashed in post-Bikram savasana, I thought the teacher was saying as she exited, "Haveaniceday."
skyguy
Posted 2004-07-07 12:11 PM (#8166 - in reply to #8163)

thanks, but no habla french! (res-taur-on-tay?) ;-)    can you spell it pheonetically?
Thushara
Posted 2004-10-26 6:10 AM (#11202 - in reply to #148)

Namaste/ Namothassa in "Pali" language (Lot of Buddhism and yoga books were written in Pali though it’s a dead language now) means "you pay respect" right? Please correct me if Im wrong .

redtail
Posted 2004-10-26 9:41 AM (#11219 - in reply to #11202)

The original composer of this thread is so close! Namas=a bow, obeisance, reverential salutation, adoration--Namaskara=worshipped, adored. Look at how these two words appear in most people's yoga practices. The very basic Surya Namaskara is what we call Sun Salute or Sun Salutation. Surya=sun. So we can really see what namas means when it is this context.

All of these other definitions are really nice, but are VERY loose translations. I am no sanskrit genious, but I can find these words in a sanskrit lexicon/translation guide and it makes sense when one compares the other definitions of these words. I still like to think of it as a reverential salutation. When I utter it or use it on this site I like to translate it loosely as "you before me."

Namaste
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-04-10 3:16 PM (#21579 - in reply to #299)

I always believed Namaste meant: The divine within me bows to the divine within you.

Especially when I feel a lot of animosity towards a person I remind myself, and send an intention to Namaste them!
tourist
Posted 2005-04-10 3:38 PM (#21581 - in reply to #21579)

Expert Yogi

Here is a nice explanation from YJ's beginner's section:

Aadil Palkhivala's reply:

The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgment of the soul in one by the soul in another. "Nama" means bow, "as" means I, and "te" means you. Therefore, Namaste literally means "bow me you" or "I bow to you."

To perform Namaste, we place the hands together at the heart chakra, close the eyes, and bow the head. It can also be done by placing the hands together in front of the third eye, bowing the head, and then bringing the hands down to the heart. This is an especially deep form of respect. Although in the West the word "Namaste" is usually spoken in conjunction with the gesture, in India, it is understood that the gesture itself signifies Namaste, and therefore, it is unnecessary to say the word while bowing.

We bring the hands together at the heart chakra to increase the flow of Divine love. Bowing the head and closing the eyes helps the mind surrender to the Divine in the heart. One can do Namaste to oneself as a meditation technique to go deeper inside the heart chakra; when done with someone else, it is also a beautiful, albeit quick, meditation.

For a teacher and student, Namaste allows two individuals to come together energetically to a place of connection and timelessness, free from the bonds of ego-connection. If it is done with deep feeling in the heart and with the mind surrendered, a deep union of spirits can blossom.

Ideally, Namaste should be done both at the beginning and at the end of class. Usually, it is done at the end of class because the mind is less active and the energy in the room is more peaceful. The teacher initiates Namaste as a symbol of gratitude and respect toward her students and her own teachers and in return invites the students to connect with their lineage, thereby allowing the truth to flow—the truth that we are all one when we live from the heart.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-10 11:04 PM (#21611 - in reply to #148)

To know the meaning of namaste, please refer to the homepage of the site:

www.moksayoga.com, which was given by me when I taught there a few years ago.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
loli
Posted 2005-04-11 5:44 PM (#21650 - in reply to #148)

I have always understood it to mean "I bow to the divine spirit within you"....I always Namaste my students....although usually only at the end of the class, as a kind of thank you...I will try doing it at the beginning of my next class too....Thanks Tourist.

Posted 2005-04-11 7:42 PM (#21656 - in reply to #21650)

What's wrong with a word if people have to debate it's meaning for crying out loud? Well, I have the solution--At Bruce's Yoga & Brew, I plan to use the following Irish terms as fitting of the occasion:

1. Dia duit (God to you) upon beginning and finishing practice.
  2. Codladh sámh (a plesant sleep)--for savasana if anybody insists on staying)
  3. Maith thú! (Well done for those who choose walking savasana instead of lying around sweating on my floor).
  4. Sláinte! Cheers! For those joining me in a Guinness after class.
  5. Saol fada chugat! Long life to you! for the student who buys my Guinness.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-04-11 10:56 PM (#21672 - in reply to #148)

How creative!!! Now you will be Guiness World Book, Big Brother Bruce.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)