YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My friend was diagnosed with Fibro Mialgia
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Eliana
Posted 2003-06-06 8:53 PM (#1950)
Subject: My friend was diagnosed with Fibro Mialgia

I recently found out that my friend was diagnosed with fibro mialgia a condition in which the person is in constant pain due to muscle and joint problems(sort of like arthritis). In addition it causes constant headaches and depression. I read up on it and it suggests that exercise my help and I immediately thought of Yoga! Can anyone tell me if I should suggest it to my friend and if so what kind of yoga will help her physically as well as mentally.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Anonymous
Posted 2003-06-17 10:43 AM (#1992 - in reply to #1950)

I was diagnosed with this condition. Yoga has been a tremendous help. However it should be done often to relax and strengthen the body. Depression can be alleviated too, by using the postures but also the Karma Yoga. Doing something for others...or concentration....doing something with complete focus uninterrupted for extended periods. becoming what your doing and abandoning the "me" quieting the mind with meditation and training it...The breathing...rejuvinating. I have no more asthma, no more colds, no more depression. But as soon as I cut down on the postures...everything else falls away, and everything, the achiness etc. comes right back. Yoga is the key
Julie Heppe
Posted 2003-06-17 3:21 PM (#1997 - in reply to #1950)

Yes! Tell her to get to a gentle yoga class. most of all, have her ask the teacher if she is qualified in some form of yoga therapy or has had other students with this aliment she has helped. I have had a student for 3 years and she practices with a group class and goes at her own pace. She sees me in private classes as well. I have seen the most benefit when she comes to class 4 days a week for an hour each time. It is such a relief! Pranayama and meditation are equal in their benefits for these students.
Yogababe
Posted 2003-06-17 4:53 PM (#1998 - in reply to #1950)

i have chronic fatigue syndrome - in which i experience flare up of muscular cramps and pain .... among other symptems. during this time i practise breathing, and sitting upright for good posture etc. when the pain goes i can go back to certain yoga postures. go slow and listen to your body is the key!
Mary
Posted 2003-09-21 11:49 AM (#2439 - in reply to #1950)

My husband has fibromyalgia too. If you friend can do any physical activity it will help. One of the biggest problems is that physical activity causes soo much pain afterward. So it helps to start small and work up to more.

There is one Dr. we have found that actually deals with the root cause of fibromyalgia rather than the symptoms. He has a website www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com. He is great. He is in LA.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)