YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga for disk Herniations
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Rebecca Swanson
Posted 2003-04-13 3:14 PM (#1701)
Subject: Yoga for disk Herniations

I have disk herniations at C5-C6 and T7-T8. I was told that you shouldn't do yoga when you have disk herniations, but I could do Physical Therapy exersices. What I noticed was this ...the PT exercises are yoga asana. What ever it is that I practice I would like to know if anyone with herniated disks have had any problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sue
Posted 2003-04-15 3:00 PM (#1716 - in reply to #1701)
Subject: Yoga for disk Herniations

My husband had two herniated disks last year, had to stop working for about 2 months. Physical therapy was the only thing that helped him get better, and you're right, a lot of his therapy exercises resembled yoga stretches. About 6 months later we both started doing yoga. He says it helps his back greatly. His recent MRI showed his back is in much better shape (though that may be partly because he left the job where he had to carry heavy things!). He has to be careful about forward bending, it's very important to keep your back flat and not round it. I'm not sure if it would be good to take up yoga until your acute pain has improved, but it might help you a lot after that point. I'd recommend finding a class where the poses are held longer (better stretch) and not a power-yoga type class. Hope your back gets better!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)