YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pinched Nerve
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Kathy
Posted 2003-03-22 12:48 PM (#1596)
Subject: Pinched Nerve

I have a pinched nerve in my lower back for about a week and have stopped doing my Kung Fu, Cardio-Kickboxing, etc... and can't do anything for awhile. I am seeing a doctor and getting some relief with medicine. Someone suggested that I try Power Yoga when I start to feel better because it will help to strengthen my back. And I do plan on going back to the martial arts when I am healed.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sue
Posted 2003-04-08 12:13 PM (#1672 - in reply to #1596)

You might think about starting with another form of yoga at first. A gentle, restorative yoga practice could help the healing process. Jumping in to a vigorous power yoga practice might hurt you if you're not ready yet. If you do decide to take up yoga, please find a teacher, it's easy to get hurt trying to learn from a tape before you're familiar with the poses.
Juana Lopez
Posted 2003-04-24 9:54 PM (#1760 - in reply to #1596)

I suggest you try doing Iyengar yoga instead of Power Yoga.
I have problems with lower back, shoulder and neck. I have tried both methods and power yoga is not recommended for people with ailments, specially in the back.
When you do power yoga, you have to change from pose to pose quickly, not paying attention to alignment that is vital in you case.
Iyengar yoga, you have to work the poses slowly, understanding the incorporation of every part of your body. What it takes to accomplish the pose. It is very healing, not prone to injuries as is power yoga.
suggest you check a book "Basic back care" to understan my point.
What ever you decide, don't try power yoga. Get a good instructor. saludos!
Juana Lopez
Posted 2003-04-24 10:03 PM (#1761 - in reply to #1596)

I suggest you try doing Iyengar yoga instead of Power Yoga.
I have problems with lower back, shoulder and neck. I have tried both methods and power yoga is not recommended for people with ailments, specially in the back.
When you do power yoga, you have to change from pose to pose quickly, not paying attention to alignment that is vital in you case.
Iyengar yoga, you have to work the poses slowly, understanding the incorporation of every part of your body. What it takes to accomplish the pose. It is very healing, not prone to injuries as is power yoga.
suggest you check a book "Basic back care" to understan my point.
What ever you decide, don't try power yoga. Get a good instructor. saludos!
Anonymous
Posted 2003-06-10 7:02 PM (#1976 - in reply to #1596)

I recommend a chiropractor for a pinched nerve. You need your back adjusted. A vertebra, or something close, is pressing on the nerve that is why the adjustment. I would not go into power yoga or anything that can aggrevate it.
Jaysen
Posted 2003-06-24 7:31 PM (#2032 - in reply to #1596)

i see that u have pinched a nerve. have u considered going to a chiropractor to let him check you out, if not i would highly recommend it. if you would like some more information on chiropractic or info on whast bothering you, go to www.chirohealthtalk.com and post a question i am sure they would be glad to help you.
Timothy
Posted 2003-06-29 12:48 PM (#2051 - in reply to #1596)

Check out the article "Back Safety in Yoga" on the Yoga Basics' website: http://www.yogabasics.com/articles/Back.html

Namaste,
Timothy
http://www.yogabasics.com
Amy
Posted 2003-09-16 9:35 AM (#2429 - in reply to #1596)

Someone out there has to have had these symtoms....my left arm between my shoulder and elbow is extremly sensitive on the underside as well as I am having alot of lower back pain. Not excruciating pain but at night I have trouble finding a position to get comfortable,riding in the car is uncomfortable..etc. Do you think its a pinched nerve? I have also had a mild headache for the past 3 days and today I have started feeling dizzy???

I dont know whats going on any help would be much appreciated!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)