YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can yoga possibly cure a thyroid dysfunction?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Paula
Posted 2003-03-19 4:04 PM (#1587)
Subject: Can yoga possibly cure a thyroid dysfunction?

I have been recently diagnosed with an auto-immune, underactive, thyroid condition (called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) for which mainstream medicine say there is no reversal of ... only drugs such as synthroid, etc.

Do you think it's possible to actually reverse a condition like this ... that is, restore the thyroid back to its normal functioning through yoga?

I am going to give it a shot ... it's very possible that there is no research in western medicine to say one way or the other.

Appreciate any replies. thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Diana
Posted 2003-04-04 7:34 PM (#1659 - in reply to #1587)

I don't know a lot about Hashimoto's Thyroid dysfunction, but I ko know diet and exercise play a significant
role in how the thyroid functions. My thyroid tends toward the hyper side and I need to
stay away from salty foods, shellfish, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts (there's a whole family
of vegetables that can contribute). So I don't know if researching that would help you at this stage,
but I always take a holistic approach or both holistic and meds. I know over-exerting yourself
is supposed to not be good for hyper-active thyroid, so I think for hypo- yoga, good cardio
activity could help.
Good luck.
Namaste.
D
Sue
Posted 2003-04-08 12:07 PM (#1670 - in reply to #1587)

I'm not a physician, but I would suggest that an underactive thyroid is not good for your health! You might do yourself harm by letting your condition go untreated. Hypothyroidism can lead to development of a goiter. It increases your LDL and increases your risk of heart disease. It also causes depression. Babies born to mothers with hypothyroidism have an increased risk of birth defects.

In addition to synthetic thyroid hormone, there is also a natural version extracted from the thyroid glands of pigs. Some researchers feel this is more beneficial.

You might consider trying standard therapy, and addition, practice yoga and see if it reduces the amount of thyroid medication you need. But please think hard before leaving your condition untreated.
Sue
Posted 2003-04-08 12:07 PM (#1671 - in reply to #1587)

I'm not a physician, but I would suggest that an underactive thyroid is not good for your health! You might do yourself harm by letting your condition go untreated. Hypothyroidism can lead to development of a goiter. It increases your LDL and increases your risk of heart disease. It also causes depression. Babies born to mothers with hypothyroidism have an increased risk of birth defects.

In addition to synthetic thyroid hormone, there is also a natural version extracted from the thyroid glands of pigs. Some researchers feel this is more beneficial.

You might consider trying standard therapy, and addition, practice yoga and see if it reduces the amount of thyroid medication you need. But please think hard before leaving your condition untreated.
Michelle
Posted 2003-06-30 12:19 AM (#2053 - in reply to #1587)

I have had hypothyroidism for at least 9 years, and Hashimoto's also runs in my family. There are ways to treat this condition other than synthroid. In fact, there is currently a class action suit against the makers of synthroid and I believe it was pulled from shelves by the FDA at least for a while. I took it for several years and felt worse every day that I did. In the last year, I have lost nearly 40 pounds, increased my energy enormously, put an end to depression, and helped my thyroid enormously. Exercise regularly and do not eat processed foods. Eat about 70% fresh fruits and veggies. Also, you can take NutriPak porcine thyroid supplement for a while at least until you improve. This is available at health food stores for under $15. And only drink out of glass or stainless steel containers--NEVER plastic.

As for yoga: it was not part of my healing program, but I know of two poses that are supposed to help. One is the Fish and the other is the Shoulderstand. These increase blood flow to the area and massage it. I also used to do a visualization of my thyroid as a multicolored butterfly. (The thyroid is shaped like a butterfly.) I imagined it flapping its wings and irridescent bubbles being released. These were the various thyroid hormones. I don't know if it worked, but used to sometimes actually feel a clicking in that area, so who knows......... In any case, good luck
Dianne Holt
Posted 2003-07-09 12:49 AM (#2089 - in reply to #1587)

Hi, it seems we are in the same boat with unhealthy thyroids. I have just had an ultrasound of my throat and I have 7 or 8 or so large goiters around my thyroid. I have not had a bio-opsy as of yet, but I don't beleive they will find cancer. I am 41 years old and I'm 145 pounds. The tumors seem to be growing rapidly now as it gets more and more difficult to swallow, and my voice is also affected. I am an almost vegetarian, eat healthy, but very little as everything seems to turn to fat, tons of exercise, I am a very active person...even if I don't feel like it, I make myself....but I am sick anyway. I have been told I may have a lack of iodine and vitamin E by a friends' research(they told me to rub a patch of iodine on my skin and if it is gone in 24 hours that I needed it), and a naturopath has told me that I am allergic to my own estrogen, and is now desensitizing me. I wish you well, and I will pray for your recovery. Your friend, Dianne
Wayne
Posted 2003-07-16 9:23 AM (#2120 - in reply to #1587)

Hi,
I have had an underactive thyroid for about 3 years that i know about,i am extremely active but unfortunately i am constantly picking up a flu like symptom constantly after a hard training session,i leave it a few days then start to run again and it gets progressively worse.
The depression is terrible i am at my wits end,it is affecting my family life,work and social life in a very big way,i am currently taking thyroxine and liothyronine sodium under a specialst and i feel worse,do you know of any other treatment,and i do hope that your conditions improve in the future.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)