YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and Anorexia
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

Hadas
Posted 2003-03-08 3:12 AM (#1504)
Subject: Yoga and Anorexia

is it true that yoga helps anorexia?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kelly
Posted 2003-03-10 4:59 PM (#1525 - in reply to #1504)

it depends on what you mean helps. Helps make the person more skinny, or help them not be so skinny. it does help youy build more in your body, and become more intouch with your body.
Nicky
Posted 2003-04-01 9:17 PM (#1639 - in reply to #1504)

I have battled with anorexia and bulimia for about 4 years now. I am recovering now and I have started practicing yoga, I have a much better outlook on life and a better attitude. I do believe it helps people with eating disorders, but only if you are willing for the help.
gatinhadayoga15
Posted 2004-06-18 1:18 PM (#7591 - in reply to #1639)
Subject: RE: Yoga and Anorexia

I agree with Nicky. I am 15 and I've been suffering from anorexia for 2 years. I started Yoga recently and I notice that everyday when I do yoga (which is almost everyday) I feel happy, calm, and free from stress, therefore making my day more enjoyable. Also, since I have started practicing yoga I do notice that I "want" to eat. The mental part of anorexia is the most importat part to try and come over, not the weight part. It is important to help yourself gain weight. I do recommend yoga for anyone with an eating disorder because it has really helped me in many different ways.

Soraya
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-06-18 3:04 PM (#7594 - in reply to #1504)

Answer to original question: There is NOTHING which YOGA can not help. This is because Yoga is a complete (and only system) of Body, Mind, and Spiritual Care. When mind is trained properly and used judiciously for body work, the recovery starts. But, help does not mean 100 percent of expectation. Yoga can not make the broken hand exactly like it was before breaking. But, it will make the broken hand as best as possilble. And this is only when the Yoga practice is done correctly.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-06-18 10:26 PM (#7610 - in reply to #1504)

Yoga works well for many disorders that are mentally governed. And anorexia, bulemia, and obsession are mental. Or at least they begin this way. Yoga is one of the things that we and we alone can control in our bodies. Whether or not we practice. Whether or not we find silence and ease within that silence of meditation. Whether or not other annoyances remain important, such as the need to count calories, carbs, fat, ounces of food, pride in abstinance, pride in defiying those who want us to eat, etc.

Anorexia and bulemia offer physical feelings that become necessary and addicting. So does yoga. The fluidity of stretching. The indulgence of final relaxation. The gentle muscle aches from using a muscle we've never even heard of.

Yoga won't "cure" anything, though. It's up to us and how we use yoga. It remains a tool. I can't tell you I don't think about food almost every waking minute. I do. It's always in the back of my mind. What I can or can't have. Some judge divvying up my imagined allotment of some reward I can't figure out. However, while I'm doing yoga, which I practice daily, 1.5 to 3 hours a day, my mind is at peace and only concentrating upon where my foot goes, how to use my shoulder joints wisely, how to move with my breath and not strain, keeping it even and soft.

Frankly, if I had to pick an obsession, it would be yoga. My self-image may never change and I might always dislike my body, but I love my yoga and that's a blessing.

Just remember that your yoga practice is yours and yours alone, no matter what happens in your life. You can always practice yoga, even if it's sitting at a desk or driving in a car. It's yours.

Christine
FromZero
Posted 2004-08-05 9:34 AM (#8896 - in reply to #1504)

Yoga, meditation and self-hypnosis helped me overcome anorexia & all my other self destructive behaviours!!! Living proof that it can be done.

I've been free from it for a few years now. Not much time to go into detail, maybe later if your interested... I always love to help, especially w/ something I feel so strongly about!

Best of luck to you!
Radok
Posted 2004-11-19 1:53 PM (#12554 - in reply to #1504)

I think it is very hard to enter into a yogic practice when your mind is having a hard time and it is unrealistic to assume a persone can just start doing yoga and be cured. I do think it is helpful when women enter yoga and practice mindfulness and compasion to themselves. It is danderous though for women with eating disorders-if they have exercise issues. It is in some ways very easy for women to get confused about their relationship to their bodies changing even for the better and their own personal inward well being. Particullaryly, now as our culture perpetuates even yoga as a means to change your body rather than work with it-the psycho-social dynamic is complex. I encourage women to seek out centers that are spiritually based, avoiding gyms or fitness instructors. Be critical of the type of yoga and the philosophy of the teachers because that is crucial. Most importantly be gental with yourself and know that the struggle to practice is part of the practice- the desire to create that space is valuable and if you are willing to give it to yourself-well the metaphore is very similar to the metaphore of giving yourself food. Namaste to you all.
CEDhelp
Posted 2008-03-27 9:36 AM (#105513 - in reply to #1504)

Heather Whittington, a certified Phoenix Rising yoga therapy practitioner and meditation instructor, recently spoke with The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt about the connection between eating disorders and yoga. She said Yoga and meditation help people connect with, and change their relationship with their body, which makes it a great therapy for eating disorders. You can check out more of the conversation at this post from The Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt.
Biaba
Posted 2010-01-11 8:31 AM (#120588 - in reply to #1504)
Subject: Re: Yoga and Anorexia

Yoga alone can't help recover from anorexia. I have been going through anorexia for more than 7 years (from 17-25, 26 years of age) I did a lot of self-analysis through that time and I did yoga, attended courses and had a wonderfull teacher that time. I did yoga almost along all the time I battled with anorexia. Yoga alone will not help. You need a complex solution, like self-analysis, change of lifestyle, solving problems with close people around you. In most cases eating disorders are causes by low self-esteem in personal meaning. (most anorectic and bulimic people are good in social life or even over average by performing their work but not in personal life.) Yoga will give a wonderful insight how the life could be if you will solve your problems. I felt relief only during yoga classes but after closing yoga class doors my problems were back.
So, yes and now. Yoga could help but not only yoga will help. you need an experienced person next to you. Nice if your yoga teacher could help.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-01-14 4:23 PM (#120687 - in reply to #120588)

Extreme Veteran

Namaste Biaba, you are absolutely right. Yoga can cure anorexia completely. Only you need a qualified yoga teacher, who is therapeutically trained and certified. Thanks for sharing your experience here with us.

Wish you all the best...

Edited by Yogacharyatonmoy 2010-01-14 4:24 PM
kellyong40
Posted 2010-01-21 9:12 PM (#120906 - in reply to #120687)

What are the yoga poses yogachjarya tonmoy for Anorexia?
Thanks...
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-01-22 10:07 AM (#120918 - in reply to #120906)

Extreme Veteran

Anorexia is the problem of poor appetite whatever the cause....
In that case I find forward bending poses work better. I also can tell you Uddiyana bandha is a very good technique for this disease. But there are many types and one need to get practical guidance from the yoga therapist....

kellyong40
Posted 2010-01-27 10:00 PM (#121037 - in reply to #120918)

Thanks for your reply yogachara tonmoy, I have a friend have been suffering with this problem from last few months, amy be year. Can I bring her to your place? Do you give therapy to that Dedalo studio?

Kelly
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-01-28 9:36 AM (#121047 - in reply to #121037)

Extreme Veteran

Please feel free to bring your friend at DEADLO, http://www.centrodedalo.com/portal/
It would br fine if you would call me befor you come to this center.
Thanks
kellyong40
Posted 2010-02-05 8:56 PM (#121279 - in reply to #121047)

My friend is out of city and will be coming back 20th Feb..
I will bring that time...
Thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-05 9:16 PM (#121283 - in reply to #121279)

Extreme Veteran

Its ok Kelly, ou please bring her to my place, when she comes back.
Thanks
kellyong40
Posted 2010-02-24 10:31 AM (#121619 - in reply to #121283)

Hello, my friend is back from holyday. Can I come to see you next week?
Namaste & thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-24 12:26 PM (#121624 - in reply to #121619)

Extreme Veteran

Please do come on Tuesday morning.....
(9am to 11.30am)
Thanks
kellyong40
Posted 2010-02-24 8:26 PM (#121638 - in reply to #121624)

The time is perfect for both of us.
Thanks
tourist
Posted 2010-02-25 9:51 AM (#121646 - in reply to #121638)

Expert Yogi

Perhaps these long personal exchanges could be done by email or PM? Thanks
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-26 12:34 PM (#121668 - in reply to #121646)

Extreme Veteran

I am really SORRY…
But I promise you that I will never response to anyone for this personal interaction. Thanks for helping me to be in the right path…

tourist
Posted 2010-02-26 6:51 PM (#121674 - in reply to #121668)

Expert Yogi

Not a big problem and a little is ok. I am a lazy moderator.
Yogacharyatonmoy
Posted 2010-02-27 8:12 PM (#121699 - in reply to #121674)

Extreme Veteran

I dont think you are LAZY, because of you have already contributed 8359 posts in this forum. haha..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)