YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Want to be a teacher, any suggestions?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Santosh
Posted 2003-08-07 1:14 AM (#2262)
Subject: Want to be a teacher, any suggestions?

Namaste,
Although I am professionaly trained as Engineer, I got interested in yoga about 12 years back and practising it since then. About 11 years ago , I completed 1 year Diploma in Yoga and Ayurweda in Pune, India. Till now it never occured to me teaching. But I am seriously considering it as I recently lost
my job.
Now I live in US and when I started to look around I am baffled by various "branded" branches of yoga (like Iyenger Yoga, Bikram yoga, krupalu yoga etc). and their own certification requirements. Back then in India, the only yoga I remember was taught to me which was descended from Patanjali.

I looked at Yoga alliance website but they do not readliy recognize any university in India (which itself is really strange) So I have to document based on my transcripts (which is fine). But do I really have to become part of one the "branded" branches of yoga? and I would hate to join one of the yoga branches just to get a new ceritficate. Will it be a big
perception problem if I am not part of one of the more
marketed branches?

any suggestions what I can do to proceed? Asked a couple of studios on the phone and they would not even consider me as volunteer teacher unless I am certified, let alone really see how much I know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Drumgirl
Posted 2003-08-07 12:02 PM (#2264 - in reply to #2262)
Subject: Want to be a teacher, any suggestions?

Hi-

Iunderstand your confusion. Where are you located and if you do decide to get another certification, does it need to be in that city/town?
Posted 2004-06-01 3:38 PM (#7046 - in reply to #2264)
Subject: RE: Want to be a teacher, any suggestions?

You don't HAVE to be recogized by yoga alliance, it's strongly encouraged and perhaps you sent in the training you have and only need to compliment it with the other trainings. You also don't have to choose one "brand" of yoga. If you look at the yoga alliance requirements - it's by topic, not organization. e.g. anatomy 20 hours, technical some many hours and so on. I am teaching yoga and am in the process of becoming yoga alliance recognized, I am doing it in bits and pieces as I can afford the trainings. I have an extensive fitness background (including some yoga training about 100 or better hours) which helps and a BSE as a Recreation Therapist. I have many credentials and experiences that those who are yoga alliance qualified do not have. Just because you are recognized by the yoga alliance does not mean your a good teacher. If you teach from your heart and with passion, the students will know your for real, and as far as teaching while getting credentials, it's really an individual choose. I teach what I know, I am conservative and intergrate my traditional fitness training into keeping students safe. I have been to some awful yoga classes by so called yoga alliance certified individuals who are arrogant and have no heart. So I say follow your heart and don't get caught up in what others might think!
Mary12
Posted 2004-06-02 10:46 PM (#7101 - in reply to #2262)
Subject: RE: Want to be a teacher, any suggestions?

You don't need a certification. One of my best teachers didn't officially complete his teacher training. Many branches of yoga that are popular today are based on teh tecahings of patanjali. since what you have sounds pretty authentic. Many students will be drawn to you for this. people are drwan towards truthful honest tecahers. people come to yoga because they want to get reall. They are tired of the lies in their life at work or at home, and it's a great chance for peopel to greet themselves. I'm sure you'd make a terrific teacher. maybe, just start by setting up small classes at a church or at a colleagues work. Gyms like Bally's are a place you can go to too. The local "Y", or any nearby University - they usually have an Athletic centre. Good luck to you. And please let us know how this goes.

Mary.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)