YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variety
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Ash Aragam
Posted 2003-03-07 9:30 PM (#1501)
Subject: Variety

Hello Teachers,

I am a RYT and teach at a couple of fitness centers in and around Lansdale,PA. Students of Yoga at a fitness center seek more of the physical aspects of Yoga; but they don't want to do the same asanas again and again and get bored after some time; I bring variety into the program by mixing postures, relaxation and breathing. I also focus on different aspects of the body in a class; in some classes I just stick to a category like standing, balancing; still the students tend to get bored. For them it is going through a series of motions.

Any ideas on how to rejuvenate the class? Pl. share you thoughts. Since I teach Hatha Yoga and not other forms of practice like Tai Chi, etc. your suggestions revolving classical/Hatha yoga would be very helpful.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Charlie
Posted 2003-03-08 11:50 AM (#1507 - in reply to #1501)

I'm not a yoga teacher, but I have for years confronted the challenge of guiding the attention of the easily-bored. I hope my experiences may be of service.

One fact I have encountered time & again: some people are not in a place that allows them to manage their attention. I understand that attention is never truly beyond one's control; however, we live in a culture that depends on distraction - quick cuts, sound-bites, short takes, 'and now for something completely different'.... To develop the body-centered, slow-focus awareness that is central to 'somato-spiritual' disciplines like yoga, meditation, Ta'i Chi, massage, etc. requires first of all an understanding that such an awareness is essential to the process. The web of distraction our culture weaves about us merely complicates the matter - it doesn't generate it. While many of us who are drawn to these arts "fall into the body" quite naturally, not every nature is so attuned.

For those who are drawn to yoga (this can apply as well to bodywork, shamanic & meditative practice, or dance) but do not intuitively gravitate to the inner focus, boredom is inevitable - however, as a teacher, you may find that the boredom itself is the lever needed to shift the student's awareness.

I know how easy it is for me, after 35 years of bodywork, meditation & yoga, to 'fall into the body', and I know that I have developed a non-confrontational style as one result; in working w/ the easily-bored, however, I often find it useful to be pointed and direct in guiding them. For example, in working with new people, I find that some degree of 'head-ology' is essential - as a bodyworker, spending five minutes on 'how to receive a massage' can make an enormous difference in how the resulting session goes - for me AND my client.

In more structured, 'teaching/training' situations, I may ask someone who wants quicker results how long it took them to get through school. With someone who feels restricted & restless, I may draw an analogy to a cross-country drive, in which hours are spent in essentially one pose, with essentially one point of focus. With another, who just "doesn't get it" in terms of inner-direction, I may point out similarities to the adjustments and attentiveness involved in a new job, a new workplace, a new lover.

It also happens that some people, though attracted to body disciplines, simply "can't get there from here" - that is, they may be unable to make the necessary connections from where they are in life; or, they may be 'searching for an entry point' - and while that search may have led them to you, they may only be passing through, on their way to another style or even another discipline.

As a teacher, it is important to be flexible and available; it is also important to remember that the student bears an equal weight of responsibility in creating a functional teacher/student relationship. Ultimately, it will serve no-one for a teacher to attempt to be all things to all people - be true to yourself, and truth will suffuse everything you teach.
Zoe
Posted 2003-03-11 8:19 AM (#1531 - in reply to #1501)

i teach in Malvern, PA, at a yoga center and a number of gyms. i have not found my students getting bored in any of the classes, but that may be because they are vinyasa classes.

When i teach, i spend time talking about the asanas and correct allignment, pranayama (indicating inhales and exhales), dristi, where to take the mental focus (for that day) and why. I make certain that we do a variety of poses each day to work the body in every way imaginable: warrior series, uttkatasana series, triangle series, balancing series, back bends, abdominal work (such as navasana), hip openers and forward bends. I'll also discuss principles of living (yamas and niyamas) as well as various meditation techniques during class.

So, for example, while they are holding warroir 1 for 5 breaths, i may discussion proper foot alignment and how the legs should feel (the deep opening in the legs and hips), particularly if it is a class with many beginners. If it is a more experienced class, i may speak about how asana teaches various lessons of the yamas and niyamas--for example, how being present in the pose without seeking or expecting "perfection" helps us with aparigraha (non hoarding). I may even do a pranayama meditation, hardly even mentioning the asanas. Or, even a chakra meditation.

Part of this is to keep their attention in the present--focusing on my voice can do that. And as long as i feed their minds (which are open via the attention that they give to my voice) on things of grace and beauty (which of course i strive to nourish my own mind and heart with this), then we are in a good relationship of group learning. Their attention moves to my voice, fostering focus and eventually leading to awareness of the asana and deeper. Also, they get various teachings in the yoga tradition, which deepens their understanding of why they are doing what they are doing.

in my classes, students do repeat the same poses over and over, because that is how one learns the asanas. I often tell them that there is always somewhere to grow into, so to stay present in the pose and with the breath. The most important part is not the asana, but being present, and i encourage them to practice that most of all. In order to develope attentiveness, i may change the sequence of the postures every few classes, or i may add a new one in and take another out.

Charlie is right as well. you need to stick to what you know and love about yoga (your truth). this will guide your teaching.

if you'd like to visit one of my classes, you are more than welcome to do so. I work at Power Yoga Works in Malvern, PA. their website is poweryogaworks.com. I generally teach on Monday, Wed, and Thurs at 7:15 pm (Basics classes) and on Tues and Thurs at 9:30 am (All levels). I would be happy to meet you and discuss these concerns in person as well. :)

Be well and happy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)