YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How old do you have to be?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Micki
Posted 2002-12-10 6:44 PM (#1191)
Subject: How old do you have to be?

Hi! I am 13 years old & I have been doing yoga for about a year. It has brought me amazing flexibility, clarity of the world, & myself. I really want to get certified as a yoga instructor. So does anyone know how old do you have to be to get certified?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jess
Posted 2002-12-11 7:41 PM (#1193 - in reply to #1191)

hi micki-
its wonderful to see someone your age invovled in yoga! I guess there is no specific age you need to be in order to teach. i think the best way to develop the skills of a teacher is to develop your own practice, study with qualified senior yoga teachers, and volunteer to help others with yoga whenever possible.

In terms of 'officially ' teaching at gyms, YMCA's, and studios, there are labor laws that prevent most places from hiring anyone under 15 or 16. Also, unfortunately, a lot of yoga/fitness jobs require the instructor to be at least 18 - its a policy at many of the gyms I teach yoga at.

but, at 13, you can definitely teach your friends, help your family discover yoga, and possibly check yoga studios that teach kids/adolescent yoga---they may be happy to have your help!

good luck
jess
jess
Selena
Posted 2002-12-16 9:51 PM (#1205 - in reply to #1191)

Micki!!! I am so happy for you that you have discovered yoga at such a young age. It's really wonderful. It is a gift that will be for there for you in all aspects of your life.

I agree with everything that Jess said, and just wanted to offer more encouragement to keep practicing, keep learning, and keep teaching. Like Jess said, even if find that you are "under age" to teach formally, once you've learned enough about your own practice, and basic contraindications of postures, you can practice teaching your family and friends.

Starting at your age is great because there is so much learning you can do, so many places to go and learn! By the time you are of "legal" age, you will be a wonderful teacher.

I wish you the best,
Selena
Whitney
Posted 2003-03-03 4:28 PM (#1452 - in reply to #1191)

hey! micki i think it's so great that you are only 13 and you do yoga! i'm only 11 and i do yoga and it really relaxs me thourgh the stress with school.
Whitney
Posted 2003-03-03 4:39 PM (#1455 - in reply to #1191)

theres no correct age to start yoga if you feel relaxed with it go with it i'm only 11 and i've been doing yoga for a week now and i feel great
Dr Sharma
Posted 2003-03-04 10:18 PM (#1470 - in reply to #1191)

i'm glad you are learning yoga and finding it meaningful. U can ask your teacher as to how to get yourself certified. But if you have been performing the asanas w/out a Guru, then ask yourself this; if you didn't respect this art and want to do it by yourself, who wants to respect you and come to you for yoga lessons if you become a teacher?

If i've not answered your question, pls forgive me.

NAMASTAE
Robin
Posted 2003-03-05 4:44 PM (#1480 - in reply to #1191)

micki-
how wonderful to want to share the gift of yoga at such a young age...
i own a kids yoga studio and children's yoga prop shop and while i couldn't legally 'hire' you, i would let you assist me in class and show you how to start your own yoga club for your peers.
is there a kids yoga studio near you? if not find a kids yoga teacher and see if they're interested in an apprentace.
you can check out our site for ideas and feel free to email us if you have any further kids yoga questions.
namaste,
robin
www.teeniyogini.com
iriszinkand
Posted 2003-12-17 3:51 PM (#2877 - in reply to #1191)
Subject: RE: How old do you have to be?

i don`t now it......
i`m 14 and i´m doing yoga for only three weeks now...
and from a book, because i haven`t found a yoja-course here in germany- that`s silly

bye,bye
isi
dinu
Posted 2003-12-20 9:49 AM (#2910 - in reply to #2877)

It 's really encouraging to know that your are doing yoga at this age. More than that the yoga is working for you as a tool to expand your awreness about Self, society .I am sure in the times to come there will be a much better interaction between you and your environment/ society.
There is no age specific age to become a yoga teacher . I know some one who learnt you under hos GURU/ Master and at the age 10 yrs he was sent abroad to teach yoga at this young age.So go please continue to practice . All the best. Peace.
Dinu
i want to leard
Posted 2004-01-10 2:38 PM (#3130 - in reply to #1193)

I want to learn how to do yoga but i live in a small city where there is no teachers is there another way to learn like from the internet or from a book if so please help me and answer my question by sendind me an email to cheerbabygurl4life_09@yahoo.com Thank you
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)