YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teacher Training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Bub
Posted 2002-10-09 1:26 PM (#1090)
Subject: Teacher Training

Hello there,
I am thinking of heading to SIVANANDA YOGA VEDANTA DHANWANTARI ASHRAM, NEYYAR DAM, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM INDIA in December for Teacher Traing Programme . Has anyone been throught this programme & how was it for you? Any tips ?
Thanks

Bub
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Selena
Posted 2002-10-09 2:52 PM (#1091 - in reply to #1090)

Hello!

I have been hoping to connect with like minded people for some time, but have had no replies to my posts. I too would like to do the Sivananda teacher training as soon as possible.

I have one teacher that went to the Sivananda ashram in Val Morin, Quebec, Canada, and she has nothing but wonderful things to say about her training and the camp. Anyone I have spoken to online has been pleased with the TTC, and it is quite a well rounded and intensive program.

Are you thinking to go this December? As far as I know, the course at Neyyar Dam this Winter is already booked solid. I was thinking of possibly going to Val Morin in Summer, or to Neyyar Dam next November.

Good luck,
Selena
Alison Tucker
Posted 2003-01-14 12:57 PM (#1257 - in reply to #1090)

Hi -- I, too, am thinkign of doing the Teacher training. If anyone has done one -- I was wondering how well regarded the courses are. Bearing in mind that most other teacher training courses seem to demand 2 to 3 years training, and in a few rare exceptions, 9-months minimum training (in Australia for example, only four of such courses), I was wondering about the time discrepancy? Also, the amount of hours re. the 200 hour minimum, the size of classes, the depth of anatomy/physiology taught, personal attention (not because I'm precious, but because I would hate to cause injury to someone I was teaching through a rush job in my own teacher training and due to size of class, not being corrected fully etc. Also, are TTC students taught to teach on a practical level, eg taking their own classes under the eye of a qualified instructor so that inadequacies can be corrected. Can someone advise?

Alison.
Selena
Posted 2003-02-15 6:08 PM (#1327 - in reply to #1090)

Allison,

I can attest to the fact that the Sivananda TTC is a great, and well-rounded teacher training. Sivananda is one of the most popular schools of yoga, and their TTC is well-regarded world-wide. It is becoming more and more popular to have month-intensive trainings. Bear in mind, however, it is intensive. It is a month in which each day is filled with yoga - morning to night. As mentioned in my last post, I do know people who have done the training. One woman I know showed me her teaching manual, etc. The materials are great, the requirements are stiff, and you do have the opportunity to teach while in training. As far as I know, the Sivananda school does not want to be affiliated with the Yoga Alliance or its requirements at this time, but that does not mean that the TTC does not fulfill those requirements nonetheless, or that it isn't highly regarded worldwide, either.

Since writing my post, I have changed my mind and have decided to pursue certification under another style of yoga. I think that is the biggest factor at hand - ensuring that this is the style of yoga that you want to commit to as far as being a teacher is concerned. As much as I love Sivananda yoga, I have personally decided that I want to dedicate my teaching to a different style. I may still like to go to the Sivananda ashram one day for training in ayurveda or other disciplines.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Selena
jenfox
Posted 2004-02-18 12:22 PM (#3834 - in reply to #1090)
Subject: RE: Teacher Training

This is long past the time to reply- but regardless, I thought I would for those who may be doing research on where to go in these archives. I have a word of caution for those looking into the Sivananda Program. My daughter signed up for the program in the Bahamas and left after 3 days. The program calls itself teacher training, but it is more like Yogic Disciple Training. It is based very much on the religious aspects of yoga, and there are strict rules if you are staying at the ashram. In addition, my daughter had a difficult time leaving (she had to be "counseled" by 4 different people before leaving) and did not receive any refund at all- even though she was only there for 3 days and was told that she would receive a partial refund. When she did leave the island and checked into a hotel in Nassua, she was told by the manager of the hotel that the Yoga Retreat has been under investigation for sexual assault for five years. Of course, that could very well be untrue, but at least worth mentioning here so that other young woman are aware of what they are getting themselves into. Needless to say, my daughter has since found another organization through the yoga alliance and has received her certification, but she will never go back to another Sivanada Center or Ashram after this experience.

Posted 2004-02-19 9:56 AM (#3868 - in reply to #3834)

Sorry for your daughter's bad experience. From a financial standpoint, if a chare card (e.g., Visa) was used, you can inform them and possibly not have to pay the entire bill.
jenfox - 2004-02-18 11:22 AM

This is long past the time to reply- but regardless, I thought I would for those who may be doing research on where to go in these archives. I have a word of caution for those looking into the Sivananda Program. My daughter signed up for the program in the Bahamas and left after 3 days. The program calls itself teacher training, but it is more like Yogic Disciple Training. It is based very much on the religious aspects of yoga, and there are strict rules if you are staying at the ashram. In addition, my daughter had a difficult time leaving (she had to be "counseled" by 4 different people before leaving) and did not receive any refund at all- even though she was only there for 3 days and was told that she would receive a partial refund. When she did leave the island and checked into a hotel in Nassua, she was told by the manager of the hotel that the Yoga Retreat has been under investigation for sexual assault for five years. Of course, that could very well be untrue, but at least worth mentioning here so that other young woman are aware of what they are getting themselves into. Needless to say, my daughter has since found another organization through the yoga alliance and has received her certification, but she will never go back to another Sivanada Center or Ashram after this experience.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-19 11:29 PM (#3895 - in reply to #1090)

Something to keep in mind:
Sivananda yoga is a life-style yoga. Sivananda tries to work the 8 limbs of yoga in every aspect of life. This is one of the reasons some followers find it rewarding to go live in the Ashram for different periods of time.

I know several people who have done that (I'm near Yogaville) and done the Sivananda TT program, as well.

I'm not so certain this would be a program I would follow, but then I'm trained in a different lineage. That of Krishnamachyra, who fathered Iyengar, Ashtanga, Viniyoga, from which spawned things like Anusara, Power, and some other now-commonly found yoga styles. I prefer the way this tradition uses the body, vs. the Sivanada method that kind of says "just do it" and uses the lower back as a fulcrum point. For that reason, I don't recommend Sivananda's asana limb to beginners.

Now, if you're going to take this program for reasons other than teaching asana, I think it's always sounded very worthy and quite interesting. I think this depends upon your spiritual interest and just what you plant to do with the teaching certificate when you return.

It's a lot of money to invest in something that demands a lot more than most people are looking to learn these days. At least most westerners, I should say. What's drawing you to it?

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)