YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"suck your stomach in"
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

ezekieldas
Posted 2012-04-03 2:49 PM (#210281)
Subject: "suck your stomach in"

New User

What exactly does this mean? It appears numerous times throughout the Bikram dialogue:

Utkatasana: "Suck your stomach in, hold it in." "Suck your stomach in, compression of the abdominal wall, contraction of the abdominal muscles." "Exhale breathing, suck your stomach in, spine straight."

Garurasana: "Suck your stomach in."

Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Paschimotthanasana: "Suck your stomach in"

Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana: "Exhale breathing, suck your stomach in"

Tadasana: "Stretch your spine up to the ceiling, and suck your stomach in."

...and possibly more.

In other traditions there are discussions of the bandhas, which I believe might offer a better explanation. The reason I ask is there is 1) a sort of collapse or lifting of the diaphram where the belly is pulled deep into the torso cavity and the ribs are exposed. This however, is a bit of an exaggeration and doesn't lend well to engaging the core. 2) There is a tucking or knitting of the ribs, the use of the upper abdominal area. It's also a tuck of the pelvis -I jokingly refer to this as what the male Calvin Klein model does in just underwear. 3) Then there's the tightening of the lower abs, more in line with mula bandha I think.

Both 2 + 3 from above be applied together and lend very well for asana requiring core energy. Yet 1 is what I think of when I hear "suck your stomach in" and 1 does not mix wither either 2 or 3.

Does this make sense? Is this just another (yet another) dialogue issue?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jpg
Posted 2012-04-03 4:31 PM (#210284 - in reply to #210281)
Subject: RE: "suck your stomach in"

1.) You cannot suck your stomach in, out or in any direction. You cannot control your stomach muscles consciously.

2.) You cannot lift your diaphragm. When you flex your diaphragm muscle, it goes down not up, causing air to fill your lungs. When you relax your diaphragm, it goes up, causing the air in your lungs to exit. You can only force the air out of your lungs with your abdominal muscles and the intercostal muscles between your ribs, not your diaphragm.

3.) Much of the Bikram "dialogue" is not anatomically accurate. It is probably meant to be either colloquial, poetic or Bikram-speak. If you are analyzing the Bikram "dialogue" looking for literal and specific anatomical instructions, you are probably attending the wrong sort of class for yourself.

4.) When Bikram uses the phrase "suck your stomach in", I believe that he is talking about keeping your upper abdominal muscles firm while pulling your lower abdominal muscles in and up. This supports the lower back in most postures.

5.) Bikram yoga is an exercise class, not a science class. It is about doing, not thinking or analyzing.

ezekieldas
Posted 2012-04-03 10:05 PM (#210286 - in reply to #210281)
Subject: Re: "suck your stomach in"

New User

Check 1, 2, 3, and 5. Understood. Careful though, "you are probably attending the wrong sort of class for yourself" is presumptuous indeed.

In regards to 4 --what bandha would that be? Uddiyana? So in other words in the Bikram dialogue when it's stated "suck your stomach in" it really means engage Uddiyana banda?

jpg
Posted 2012-04-08 10:33 AM (#210303 - in reply to #210286)
Subject: Re: "suck your stomach in"

Hi ezekieldas,
My presumption is that you want a class/"dialoge" that has anatomical accuracy and intellectual integrity. Bikram is not an especially good fit for that. There are other styles that are a better fit, but they lack many of the aspects of Bikram that many people enjoy i.e. the heat, repetition, etc.

Uddiyana bandha is expelling all your air, pulling your abdominal muscles in and up to the point that they are almost flat against your spine and then holding your breath. The purpose of this is purportedly to "lock" in "spiritual" energy. You may consider this practice foolish superstition or you may consider it a critical practice on the path to whatever. Either way, it is probably the worst thing that you can do while practicing asanas.

General lifting of the pelvic floor and keeping especially the lower abdominals contracted supports the lower spine and does many things that are essential to proper exercise (of many types) form as well as proper asana form.

The two general things that most people cannot concentrate on too much are keeping the lower abdominals pulled in and up and keeping the shoulders rolled back and down.
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)