YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trochanteritis
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

kristi
Posted 2011-12-23 4:24 PM (#209689)
Subject: Trochanteritis

Veteran

Trochanteritis
I heard this word only yesterday, first time in my life, when I finally went to the doctor to find out what the hell is happening to my hip/leg and it keeps hurting that much… I suffer from trochanderitis he said.
After 8 years of Iyengar yoga regular asana practice, I now feel that it’s probably the standing postures that have created this. I presume something must be wrong in my alignment. Putting too much pressure to the wrong spot ? Bending forward in the wrong way? I have stopped practicing more than a week now, I let it rest, until I decide what to do. I certainly do NOT want to follow the treatment the doctor suggested… injections, etc. Or maybe should I…? I will of course go to check this with my yoga teacher after the holidays. But any more advice from anyone here would be precious to me. Too hard for me to stop practicing… It’s making me feel depressed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jpg
Posted 2011-12-24 5:30 PM (#209693 - in reply to #209689)
Subject: RE: Trochanteritis

You need to stop or reduce practicing until the inflammation goes away. If you feel pain, you are making it worse, although gentle movement of the area will speed healing. Ice is a great way to reduce inflammation. Try a package of frozen corn or peas.

Once the inflammation subsides, consider getting an assessment from a qualified Physical Therapist. He/she can help you identify the probable cause and give you some exercises that will help your recovery.

kedar
Posted 2011-12-25 11:23 AM (#209695 - in reply to #209689)
Subject: Re: Trochanteritis

Kristi, why are you practicing asanas, for almost a decade now?
kristi
Posted 2011-12-25 12:59 PM (#209696 - in reply to #209695)

Veteran

thank you Jim!
Kedar,
have been practissing asanas all these last 8, 9 years, because I feel that asana practice is making me more happy, healthy, wise, aware, centered, strong, flexible (both in the mind and in the body) balanced (the same), connected to the laws of nature, able and willing to help others, able to overcome easier any of the difficulties of life. To make a long story short, these are few of the reasons.

A pain in the hip, is a serious problem for me right now, but nothing compaired to all of the above mentioned benefits. It is therefore that I am asking for some advice here. Do not want to have to stop practising for a long period.
kedar
Posted 2011-12-26 12:27 PM (#209701 - in reply to #209689)

Many asanas tend to remove toxins from the joints. But you seem to be accumulating them instead. The hip joint is the most vital. Using any therapy will cure the effect, but not the cause. The karmic aspect of the issue will remain unresolved. This means it will revisit you periodically until the root cause is taken care of.

Improper yoga can be fatal.
kristi
Posted 2011-12-26 1:23 PM (#209702 - in reply to #209701)

Veteran

This is true Kedar.
So further than soothing it in the first place, it is the root cause of this hip problem that I am searching to find out and stop doing.
kedar
Posted 2011-12-29 3:22 AM (#209715 - in reply to #209689)

You may hate my answer, but let me just take a risk.

The root cause is karma or action. But many fail to understand what it means or accept what it is. Everyone knows karma means "what you give, is what your get". Now this is what you've got "a pain in the butt." So, looks like this is what you are for someone " a pain in the butt." Mostly it is not one particular person, but either many beings or daily the same set of beings.

Karma is not what you did in your past life or a few years back alone. Mostly it is what you are doing daily. If suffering is coming, then it must be that you are imparting suffering. Take a look at your negative emotions towards people in your life and if you look hard enough you may find an answer.

This is the reason why a lot of stress has been put on yama, niyama in yoga. Doing intense asanas and then going and drinking black coffee may do more damage than good.
kristi
Posted 2011-12-29 1:20 PM (#209718 - in reply to #209689)

Veteran

Interesting… polarization… I am facing: “Make few cortisone injections” from the one side… “Check your karma” from the other !

kedar, I certainly do not “hate” your answer. Thank you for reminding me to check in case I am a “pain in the butt” for anyone around me. It’s always useful to all of us to be checking this every once in a while... and to be trying not to create negative feelings to other people...

Now, because I am following a different route than yours, I uploaded my question here, in this specific chapter of this forum titled Iyengar yoga, in case any of the teachers or practitioners of this yoga school may have seen any similar situation and have an opinion/advice on it.

jpg
Posted 2011-12-29 2:20 PM (#209720 - in reply to #209718)

kristi,
Since you have been doing Iyengar yoga for quite a while and this problem has not been solved by that instruction, I would suggest looking at your problem from a different angle or perspective. That is why I recommended a visit to a physical therapist. They are qualified to give you an acurate diagnosis and a set of exercises to work on to strengthen what is weak and mobilize what is tight. They also treat this exact condition on a regular basis. Yes, there are qualified yoga therapists, but it is a field where only minimal education is required and there is no standard testing of knowledge and practices before entering the field. (That is why most insurance pays for PT and not for yoga therapy.) To continue to try to solve a problem with the potential cause of the problem does not make sense to me. FYI, cortisone will help the pain, but it will not solve the problem. It may, however, help stop the inflammation. I am not suggesting that you stop your Iyengar practice, only that you limit it to that which is not painful and you get a qualified independent third party opinion. That is unlikely over the Internet. Yoga teachers and other yoga students are NOT qualified medical professionals. A qualified yoga teacher should have the integrity to say that they don't know (which they don't) and refer you to an appropriate qualified medical professional. Inflammation is dangereous and needs to be treated.
Namaste,
Jim
kristi
Posted 2011-12-29 3:52 PM (#209721 - in reply to #209689)

Veteran

Jim thank you this is very useful.
I went to a qualified, top medical professional here, with my MRI. He also suggested a physical therapist further than the injections. He mentioned, of course, about the strengthening of the quadriceps that the therapist should/would help me do. Well… but they are very strong already, with all these standing postures… I need more details for to find out what exactly I am doing wrong. I therefore thought of bringing the matter to a certified Iyengar yoga teacher instead of a physical therapist. But then your points are correct, I am afraid…

I am anyway not practicing these days, except of inversions that anyway do not “touch” the hip-problem. I let it rest, hoping that the inflammation may go away just by that at first. Then I will try to find a good physical therapist.

But also please I would appreciate one more answer from you about this >>>>>Inflammation is dangerous and needs to be treated.<<<<< that you wrote. Are you speaking about a danger in the specific spot, or about a probable danger in the health in general? I have no idea what bad an inflammation can do, further than mere pain.
kedar
Posted 2011-12-30 8:16 AM (#209723 - in reply to #209689)

It is not a question of a different route. I only gave you this because I thought you wanted to resolve the root cause of the ailment and not just solve the effect. Effect can be easily solved by many ways. Even if you do or stop a particular asana or any therapy, it will still be working on the effect and not the cause. The root cause you are referring to is just be a physical root cause; resolving which will only reoccur periodically.

Another point that was misunderstood is about negative emotions. It doesn't matter what others feel, what you feel is the problem. As Mark Twain said "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

Anyways, right now you are in pain, so all this will sound useless; that is the karma.

As for your pain killers, many yogis inject venom in small doses, to induce pain. Because pain is your true friend, it does a lot of healing. Best to not suppress it if you can put up with it.
kristi
Posted 2011-12-30 12:25 PM (#209724 - in reply to #209689)

Veteran

Thank you for these clarifications kedar. They do make sense.

Useful what you wrote about pain.

And about anger…
It is indeed a very big issue in my country right now… Anger and/or depression governing almost everyone here, like a huge cloud covering everything! Only someone who lives here can understand what I am saying.
To pour this anger out ? To try to turn it into a positive force? To just isolate yourself from the general mood? Confronted with such dilemmas, among many other problems, all around, I feel lucky, that I only got a butt pain as a result.

Karma, this very important term/idea in yoga, in Hinduism, etc. It’s just that I am not so much convinced about it myself. A personal point of view…

Thanks for your input.
kristi
Posted 2011-12-30 12:29 PM (#209725 - in reply to #209689)

Veteran

Thank you for these clarifications kedar. They do make sense.

Useful what you wrote about pain.

And about anger…
It is indeed a very big issue in my country right now… Anger and/or depression governing almost everyone here, like a huge cloud covering everything! Only someone who lives here can understand what I am saying.
To pour this anger out ? To try to turn it into a positive force? To just isolate yourself from the general mood? Confronted with such dilemmas, among many other problems all around, I feel lucky, that I only got a butt pain as a result.

Karma, this very important term/idea in yoga, in Hinduism, etc. It’s just that I am not so much convinced about it myself. A personal point of view…

Thanks for your input.
jpg
Posted 2011-12-30 8:09 PM (#209726 - in reply to #209721)

kristi - 2011-12-29 3:52 PM

But also please I would appreciate one more answer from you about this >>>>>Inflammation is dangerous and needs to be treated.<<<<< that you wrote. Are you speaking about a danger in the specific spot, or about a probable danger in the health in general? I have no idea what bad an inflammation can do, further than mere pain.

"When chronic inflammation occurs, it can become very dangerous and cause a litany of diseases. Diseases such as asthma, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, heart disease and cancer all have links to chronic inflammation. Recent research suggests obesity and Alzheimer’s are also on the verge of being included in this group."

Acute or short term inflammation is helpful in the healing process; chronic or long term inflammation messes up a variety of systems, including your immune system.

I accept the current internationally accepted medical and scientific explanations of the causes of disease rather than karma or any other faith based explanation. I do not believe that a child that has cancer is the victim of their own karma, sin or wrong doing in this life or any other. I also believe that we should do all we can for the less fortunate rather than chalking it up to their bad karma that they need to work out. I believe that we are a random event in the evolution of life on this planet and do not believe in any kind of man-made god or supreme being that is messing with us here on earth and has created the entire universe so that we can spiritually advance to some imaginary, unverified point. (Really, how arrogant can you get!) I therefore am answering your questions from that point of view.

Edited by jpg 2011-12-30 8:39 PM
kristi
Posted 2011-12-31 4:14 AM (#209727 - in reply to #209689)

Veteran

Had never known/thought that inflammations can be causing such problems to the general health. But then of course it’s logical, since we are a holistic organism.

Your views about karma are exactly the same like mine jpg. Very good arguments, couldn’t express it better.

But then also interpreting a bit differently and with the use of a different “terminology”, the , I presume we all agree that any bad psychological condition can have bad effects to our health.

May not be the case for mechanical-type-of injuries… But then also, why not? Chemical elements (vitamins or whatever) diminishing due to stress or being all used to nourish the nervous system, may suddenly not be enough to nourish/sooth a muscle, a tendon, or any tissue getting a periodical mechanical strain. (I am just “thinking loudly”, not being a physician myself)

Anyway, my pain is now aaalmost gone, after more than 10 days of resting the spot and doing few very gentle stressing, towards the opposite side, which I found out is soothing. Then I will see what I will do with a physiotherapist so as not to have the problem back again.

Thanks very much for your advice and input to my problem.
This forum, except of interesting and pleasant to read, can also be so useful in some cases.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to everybody !!
kedar
Posted 2011-12-31 12:25 PM (#209739 - in reply to #209689)

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman

In India we always heard of yogis who could fly or travel instantly anywhere, be at two places at the same time, read people's minds, go through walls, etc. All this was always considered a fairy-tale. Until modern physics discovered worm holes where an electron travels to another location in zero time, or quantum tunneling where an electron literally goes through a wall, quantum entanglement where two particles are paired so that they behave the same even if they are distant apart. I am sure people who wrote about these yogis thousands of years ago could not have such powerful imaginations. Also, the Sanskrit language already had a word for atom (anu) long before it was discovered.

Today physicists are talking about vacuum states and dark energy after they discovered forces exerted by plates in vacuum. Which is saying vacuum isn't vacuum but something more. And they are searching for other dimensions. Today every top physicist knows that they haven't understood anything yet. Einstein's laws don't work with quantum mechanics, they have no clue what gravity is, they can't make up their mind if matter is wave or particle. All the laws of physics break in some situation or the other.

Now, this does not prove the law of karma, but the fact that there's more to life than meets the eye. There are many more things which indicate this. Like

Every new/full moon day crime rates and accidents in any part of the world reach their peaks.
Mental asylums know patients go more crazy on these two days.
Maximum number of ticket cancellations occur before any major train/air disaster.
Animals somehow know beforehand an upcoming tsunami, earthquake or a storm.
Ghosts are recorded on thermal cameras and audio tapes.
Kirlian photos show the missing portion of a leaf.
Intent can alter random number generators.
Indian yogi Pralahd Jani goes without food/water/urination/defecation for more than 70years.

People who recollect past lives in detail or 5 year olds who speak like elders. Or birth marks of snake bites, or some injury marks, are past life indicators. But karma can be easily seen if you just take a look at the events in your life and how they correlate with your desires.

Lastly, why would I waste my time on this forum if leaving an unfortunate person on their own karma was the attitude.

Have a karma free new year.

jpg
Posted 2011-12-31 3:07 PM (#209740 - in reply to #209727)

kristi - 2011-12-31 4:14 AM

But then also interpreting a bit differently and with the use of a different “terminology”, the , I presume we all agree that any bad psychological condition can have bad effects to our health.

May not be the case for mechanical-type-of injuries… But then also, why not? Chemical elements (vitamins or whatever) diminishing due to stress or being all used to nourish the nervous system, may suddenly not be enough to nourish/sooth a muscle, a tendon, or any tissue getting a periodical mechanical strain.

Our psychological condition affects our health just as our physical health affects our psychological condition. (Personally, I don't differentiate between physical, emotional and mental because they are all part of a single continuum.) While our thoughts can not cause (or cure) cancer or whatever, they can increase or decrease stress. You are correct, stress causes many health problems because it alters our hormones, blood pressure, heart rate, circulation, digestion, reproductive system, immune system etc etc. An excellent book on stress is "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" by Robert Sapolsky. It is fun reading, thought provoking and very informative.

I am happy to hear that you are no longer experiencing pain and would like to wish you a very Happy New Year!
jpg
Posted 2011-12-31 3:16 PM (#209741 - in reply to #209739)

kedar,
Please enjoy whatever you want to believe. Nobody actually knows anything anyway! We all just put together an artificial reality based on our desires and experiences.
Namaste,
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)