YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram Yoga to New Styles of Yoga...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

giuseppe
Posted 2011-09-19 8:25 PM (#209250)
Subject: Bikram Yoga to New Styles of Yoga...

New User

Hello,

I'm curious as to what tyes of "new" yoga bikram yogis have tried out and what have been their experience.

I have been practicing bikram yoga for a few years, and I love it. I love the swet, the heat...you know how it is. (I do not love how i thought I was so good and am really not....lol)

But, I'm being more open minded in my practice and would like to branch out.

Im looking forward to hearing some stories.

Giuseppe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vibes
Posted 2011-10-09 5:56 AM (#209321 - in reply to #209250)
Subject: Re: Bikram Yoga to New Styles of Yoga...

Extreme Veteran

Bikram yoga can become boring if you try out other styles as it is the same postures every lesson and it seems more like a workout then exploratory self awareness work which should be the foundation and is lacking big time
gogirl58
Posted 2011-10-17 11:21 AM (#209369 - in reply to #209321)

Extreme Veteran

Well, I do understand what you mean. I've felt that about bikram. Also, though, I've felt that having the same postures over and over allowed me to meditate more and allowed me to feel what was happening to my body. I see it both ways.
I tried a beginning vinyasa class last night. Awesome. I was dripping just like in Bikram, except there was no heqt on in the room.
lockdaknee
Posted 2011-10-18 1:22 PM (#209372 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

As Bikram explains, “You use the body as a medium to bring the mind back to the brain. Perfect marriage between body and mind. Then, you can knock the door to the spirit.”

jpg
Posted 2011-10-28 1:06 PM (#209409 - in reply to #209372)

Aren't you embarrassed to be repeating something that makes absolutely no sense?

You do not use your body, you are your body. There is no "you" seperate from your body.

You cannot bring your mind back to your brain because they are the same thing. Mind is a process of the brain. Also, when and how did your brain lose your mind? (How careless!)

There cannot be a marriage between your body and mind because they are a single thing that cannot be separated. Sounds more like masturbation than a marriage.

Where is this spirit whose door we are knocking on, exactly what is it and why do we want to enter it's house? I hope that this is a feeble attempt at poetry and not meant to be a fact.

I'm sorry, this is total gibberish! How much money have you spent so far to receive this kind of stuff?

I'm all for an exercise class and can even accept (but not personally agree with) that exercise class being held in a really hot room. I cannot accept mindless, incoherent ramblings as philosophy or some kind of pseudo spiritual path. It is all shoddy marketing to seperate a sucker from his/her money. That is why the "dialogue" is repeated in every class (under stressful conditions). It is not directions to teach yoga, it is mainly propaganda that is repeated over and over until the practitioner starts to actually believe it and starts repeating it himself/herself. After one buys into it, teacher training ($$$) is the next step. It is all a brilliant money making scheme and it has worked out really well for Bikram.
prop_comic
Posted 2011-10-28 8:35 PM (#209411 - in reply to #209409)

New User

you clearly have strong feelings on this matter

Edited by prop_comic 2011-10-28 8:36 PM
flyingmonkey
Posted 2011-10-31 6:52 AM (#209423 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

Bravo jpg
lockdaknee
Posted 2011-10-31 3:59 PM (#209426 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

Hi Jim - No, I am not embarrassed by repeating that at all! It makes sense to me. But since you know everything I guess all you can do is feel sorry for me - another sucker you can't save with your insights and intelligence.
jpg
Posted 2011-10-31 4:28 PM (#209429 - in reply to #209426)

Hi lockdaknee,
I do not feel sorry for you and I do not want to "save" you as you obviously are happy with what you are buying.
Jim

lockdaknee
Posted 2011-10-31 4:36 PM (#209430 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

Thanks man. But you still can be happy knowing that you know it all! That you are not one of the "suckers"! That must be a good feeling at least. Does that feel good? That you have managed to elude the charlatans and stand on an island of unbreakable knowledge and intellectual superiority?
jpg
Posted 2011-10-31 5:15 PM (#209431 - in reply to #209430)

lockdaknee,
There is a lot of misinformation, dishonest marketing and just plain superstition out there. Not just in the Bikram world, but the yoga world in general (just like the wider world.) I honestly believe that it is a good thing to question it, including our own misinformation, misunderstandings and superstitions. I am happy, but I do not know it all and am often wrong about things, although I do learn. Growth usually starts from a place that we have outgrown.
Jim

lockdaknee
Posted 2011-10-31 5:35 PM (#209432 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

I know. I was just making fun of your post.
jpg
Posted 2011-10-31 5:47 PM (#209433 - in reply to #209432)

That's fair as I was making fun of your quote.
lockdaknee
Posted 2011-10-31 7:07 PM (#209434 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

I thought of this Melville quote when I read your initial reply claiming our body, minds and brains are one thing.

"Methinks that what they call my shadow here on earth is my true substance. Methinks that in looking at things spiritual, we are too much like oysters observing the sun through the water, and thinking that thick water the thinnest of air. Methinks my body is but the lees of my better being. In fact take my body who will, take it I say, it is not me.”
jpg
Posted 2011-11-01 2:31 PM (#209437 - in reply to #209434)

Although Melville was an excellent writer, he probably was not up to date for his time and certainly did not know anything about what science has discovered in the 120 years since his death. In fact, most of the current understanding of the brain, the mind, and their connection to (oneness with) the body is a result of research done in the last 20 years. Most people thought that the heart was the center of emotion and the "soul" at that time.

There is no "you" without your body. In fact, if you receive a brain injury or chemical imbalance, your entire "you" will change. Trauma like brain injuries, diseases like Alzheimer and chemicals can totally change your perception of yourself and the world, totally change your memory, totally change your personality etc etc. Your endrocine system is constantly producing hormones that chemically change what and how you think and what you feel.

"You" are not a thing. Life is a biochemical process. We (our normal conscious minds) experience that process as seperate living things, but on the micro scale, each living cell is a seperate life form with the will to live and on the macro level, we are exchanging out bodies with our environment with every breath, adding new material and expelling old material on a constant basis.
lockdaknee
Posted 2011-11-03 8:44 PM (#209455 - in reply to #209250)

Regular

Jim - thank you for writing and discussing your feelings about that famous Melville quote and Bikram!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)