YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A bikram alternative
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Andre
Posted 2011-03-23 4:33 PM (#207957)
Subject: A bikram alternative

Extreme Veteran

Hey everyone, it looks like I’ll be adding a class at the studio where I teach. Though I still practice Bikram, and appreciate many aspects of it, I have no desire to teach Bikram.

I’m looking at offering a vigorous class, possibly in a warm room, upbeat, stoking the fire, geared more towards the experienced yogi, less talk in general, less on set up, more flow sequences, physical postures and possibly music.

It will have a consistency to it, a similar beginning and ending. I’m guessing 60-70% of the class will be the same week to week, but there will be more variety. I do also have a consistent dialogue. But there will also be silence and more variety in what is offered verbally, in the form of tie ins to eastern philosophy.

Is this something that sounds interesting to you?

If so, I’d love to know more about what people like about Bikrams that they’d keep, and what they’d leave behind if they could morph it into a dream class.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2011-03-23 4:36 PM (#207958 - in reply to #207957)
Subject: Re: A bikram alternative

Extreme Veteran

So for instance, I have grown tired of the mirrors and lack of modesty. Practicing on a carpet for triangle is stupid. And I tire of the lack of growth in the dialogue and not providing more options/modifications for different bodies. And I think some of the languaging is inarticulate and flat out wrong.
flyingmonkey
Posted 2011-03-25 3:35 AM (#207962 - in reply to #207957)
Subject: RE: A bikram alternative

Regular

Hi,

I got bored very quickly with Bikram.....same set of asanas every day....and must be very boring to teach......saying same thing day after day.

I teach a flow/vinyasa type of class. Not in a heated room but I am in Cambodia and have no A/C.....so much the same as being in a heated room.

My classes always start with a gentle warm up (I have 3 sequences and alternate them).

Then Sun Salutations (3 variations and alternate them depending on what the emphasis of the class is).

Then a standing flow sequence.....usually based on the sun salutation.....

I usually build the sequence by putting maybe 3 asanas together.....do other side....then repeat adding another 3 asanas....do other side and repeat from the beginning again....my sequences can be anywhere between 7 and 15 asanas long......and building slowly and repeating helps clients to remember the sequence and get deeper and deeper into the asana each time.

I have many different sequences, some have a wide variety of asanas and movements to work muscles and joints in many ways.And other sequences that stick with a theme such as external rotation/hip openers or balance.

I may also add a heating/stimulating inversion before or after the standing flow...depending on theme or emphasis of each class.

Then getting closer to the floor deep lunges etc....Then sitting asanas again I have several different sequences which I alternate.

Finishing with calming cooling inversion and relaxation.

So each class is different but follows the same pattern.....but never exactly the same thing............so as we say over here "same same but different"

Regular clients become familiar with the sequences over time and then I can start to add extra little challenges.....They can also add the sequences to their home practice.

I like to keep updating my sequences to keep the clients stimulated and challenged......they have to stay focused and listen, if the asanas are always the same...they stop listening and stop learning....but always keeping the familiar pattern so the clients know how to pace themselves.

And having to update, change or design new sequences keeps my brain alive and no chance of getting bored........and I have to stay fully alert,watching.....making sure instruction is understood........if a teacher is just chanting out the same thing every day it must be easy to drift and not focus.

You can find many ideas for flow/vinyasa on youtube.............or just get on your mat, put on some music and move.........

Enjoy......good luck.

Edited by flyingmonkey 2011-03-25 3:37 AM
jpg
Posted 2011-03-25 12:59 PM (#207973 - in reply to #207962)
Subject: RE: A bikram alternative

monkey,
I do much the same and find that it works well for me and my students, some of whom have been regulars for years.
jimg
flyingmonkey
Posted 2011-04-07 11:28 PM (#208071 - in reply to #207957)

Regular

Where are all the bikram peeps?
Have they all died of boredom? or have they moved on to something less repetitive, more interesting and stimulating ?
Andre
Posted 2011-04-08 11:40 PM (#208087 - in reply to #207957)

Extreme Veteran

if the asanas are always the same...they stop listening and stop learning.

I don't agree with this. To me, a big part of any eastern practice is dealing with the boredom.

Anyway, I had my first warm room class Thursday. Just four students, but that was about right to kick it off. The heat wasn't up, so there's some kinks to work out. The immediate feeback was positive. Thanks for the comments, Monkey...
Cyndi
Posted 2011-07-24 9:27 AM (#208953 - in reply to #208087)

Expert Yogi

Hey Flying Monkey...yes we moved on, However, we still come back home from time to time, Hope everyone is doing good these days. I'm totally immersed in my Therapeutic Massage life, helping other heal their bodies. I'm totally into Thai Yoga Massage these days..it's wonderful..for both the receiver and the giver. I'm so grateful for my yoga practice and the gifts I have received. Take care!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)