YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new to bikram without a teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

savasana
Posted 2011-03-04 2:59 AM (#202940)
Subject: new to bikram without a teacher

Hello. I have been doing yoga for a a couple of years at home. Not real well. Started a class a couple of months ago, not Bikram but a good class. It has meditation with it.
Anyway I started a month ago learning Bikram and I like his attitude and I have both books. I emailed him as there is not a studio in Ohio. I told him I was studying both his books, learning the poses, then I was going to do 60 days at home. I heat the room to about 85, thats all the hotter I can seem to get it. Anyway the closest studio is 4 hours away and I am going to go there after the 60 days and get fine tuned. I stay there for about 4 days and take it each day. Bikram did suggest his CD which I an going to order soon.
Anybody else studying and doing Bikram on their own? How is it working out for you?
My wife and I both practice and try to guide each other in the poses and that helps. And the mirror really helps.
Any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Carina
Posted 2011-03-06 9:42 AM (#202972 - in reply to #202940)
Subject: Re: new to bikram without a teacher

New User

Hello Savasana,
I do yoga at home and also learned it at home.I have the Bikram book, and it really helped me. But what helped me most, was the book of the hot yoga doctor, I think you can find the website in google. It is really expensive, but if you can afford it, I can recommend it because it teach you exact how to do poses, especial how to do the poses well in alignment. I do hot yoga 4 times a week at home and it is great.

Posted 2011-03-07 2:14 AM (#202974 - in reply to #202940)

Hi savasana,

I just want to say, good for you. :-) Home practice with the books and CD is tough, but it can be really great. If you really take your time to read through those books, especially the blue book, you will learn almost as much as anyone in a studio! It's great that you have a partner in it, too. I'd say just stick with Bikram's book and it will get you far! Maybe someday you and your wife will go to training and then bring Bikram yoga to Ohio.... you never know!

Posted 2011-03-08 4:20 AM (#202999 - in reply to #202940)

Bikram Yoga's twenty-six posture exercises systematically move fresh, oxygenated blood to one hundred percent of your body, to each organ and fiber, restoring all systems to healthy working order, just as Nature intended.yoga master Bikram Choudhury is a Hot Yoga innovator. His method of Hot Yoga is a set series of 26 yoga poses, including two pranayama exercises.
Cyndi
Posted 2011-03-22 8:43 PM (#207956 - in reply to #202974)

Expert Yogi

Hi Savasana,

I do a lot of home practice, but I will have to chime in and say it is really important to get some training from a teacher. I prefer a non-Bikram teacher who is very familiar with the Bikram postures who can help you with alignment. Eventually, the way that Bikram is taught in his books, his CD's and even his studios, will set up an environment for injury. I'm saying this from personal experience. I'm not Bikram bashing, I love this practice, it's great but it has its defects too. Just saying.....Best wishes with this

Cyndi
savasana
Posted 2011-03-24 1:02 AM (#207960 - in reply to #202940)

Thanks for the advice Cyndi. I get the room to about 85 and practice Bikram poses. I also do my own workout I put together following mainly Baptiste book. I like to do a lot of asanas the best I can but I constantly improve on most of them. My home workout it pretty challenging for me and my wife who has always done stretches and is very limber and energetic says it really works her out.
I did start taking a class on Mondays last December. It is TriYoga and I like the instructor and is close. The class is usually 2&1/2 hours long. TriYoga is asana, pranayama and meditation. Usually only about an hour is asana practice. We do a lot of chanting, and Kirtan singing call and response. The instructor sings very well and plays harmonium and sometimes drums or her husband joins her on drums. She does themes. For example right now each week we go through a different Chakra, what it means, mediatate on it, chant, sing, and do asana related to it. Near the end of the asana practice we hold some poses very long, maybe 3 minutes or so (not real difficult poses but maybe an inversion or laying twist etc) and she reads something insightful. Before the Chakras we went through the book "The Untethered Soul" by Michael A. Singer (Amazon web for review).
My wife usually does not go with me because she stays at home and does Dogi Yogi with out little chihuahua. I jokingly tell her I go to class to rest because quite frankly my home practice is more difficult. Two days a week my wife and I do Yoga together at home, the other days it is separate because of time restraints. However she says she gets more of a work out with me. I know one thing for sure I am taking a lot of showers lately.
BTW I had what was considered a good mat but I never liked it, always slipped when I did Warrior or anything where I had to spread my legs. I got an AURORAE mat, I know there or other good ones but liked the reviews on Amazon about this one. I am not name dropping or anything. The point is I cannot believe how much a better mat made to my practice.
Anyways I hope everyone has a great and safe practice.
Namaste
Om Namo Bhagavata Nasudevaya.......my favorite chant
philippineyogi
Posted 2011-05-17 5:45 AM (#208399 - in reply to #202940)

Wow, you guys are doing some hard stuff, practicing and studying yoga on your own! Goodluck
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)