YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to yoga, looking for mindfulness
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

waffles
Posted 2011-02-25 9:50 PM (#202835)
Subject: New to yoga, looking for mindfulness

New User

I've come to realize that I have very few ways to process and cope with the stress in my life, and from what I've read of mindfulness, I feel it would be a good match for me in helping me be more present in my daily life. I'm reading "The Mindfulness Solution", which I've found very helpful so far. It recommends yoga as one way to cultivate concentration and mindfulness skills. However, I'm not sure which "type" of yoga is best suited for me. I'm not a spiritual or religious person at all, and I don't feel I agree with some of the Buddhist tenets that seem central to certain types of yoga. However, the less "spiritual" types seem to be more centered on the fitness aspects, and not on the introspection that seems vital to mindfulness. I would certainly welcome physically demanding yoga, however. Does anyone have recommendations for what types of yoga I might want to investigate?

Edited by waffles 2011-02-25 9:52 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Maharaja Ganj
Posted 2011-02-27 4:26 PM (#202851 - in reply to #202835)
Subject: Re: New to yoga, looking for mindfulness

Hi Waffles,

Perhaps 'mindfulness' from just one perspective is being aware of mind,if we take mind to be in eastern philosophy the superifical surface of conciousness, the bit we appear to project outwards, the form.

Obviously you would probably want to look at some sort of seated meditation.

Edited by Maharaja Ganj 2011-02-27 4:27 PM
vibes
Posted 2011-03-01 12:08 PM (#202869 - in reply to #202835)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Waffles (with maple syrup).

You will be surprised. When investigating further, it seems to be the opposite, of what you feel about 'spiritual' and types of yoga. Also it depends on your definitin of what 'spiritual' is. But thats another discussion. Anyway if you want to cultivate mindfulness, its worth doing something that sees the body as an extension of the brain (which it is). You will find things outside of yoga sometimes more yoga than yoga e.g. certain martial arts (where mindfulness and awareness are essential so you dont get hurt), Alexander technique, Feldenkrais, Body Mind Centering,Meditation, Somatics, Systema, Brzillian Jujitsu are all amazing for improving concentration and mindfulness. Many of the mentioned are not 'spiritual' magical mystery tours but are very scientific and based on movement and mindfulness. At the end of the day the skeleton is designed to move and movement is life. So I would recommend you investigate and participate in the above mentioned and apply the skills you develop to different styles of yoga classes and your own yoga practice will be enhanced greatly. Then after years (ideally) or months you can fine tune and find what is most suitable for you as an individual.
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-04-28 7:07 AM (#208240 - in reply to #202835)

I think wanting to be more aware and in the present is perhaps the best step you can take. I agree that trying different forms of yoga is probably best, until you can figure out what you most enjoy, both physically and spiritually. It's one thing for someone to recommend a practice, it's a completely different story testing it out yourself to see if it fits. As for meditation, I strongly recommend not focusing too much on wanting mindfulness in the beginning. Try sitting for 5 minutes every other day (or at least 2x a week to start) and focus only on your breathing. Taking deep inhales and being fully conscious of how your body and mind are reacting to your breath. After a few weeks, I believe you'll start to appreciate a lot more than just your breathing, and that will be your first step towards truly finding a path for peace, harmony and mindfulness.
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-03-19 2:11 AM (#211359 - in reply to #202835)

Veteran

Just go along over the web and you'll find interesting articles about yoga.
Eartha
Posted 2014-03-26 11:42 PM (#211382 - in reply to #202835)

Regular

PING G15 Irons The lightweight titanium face allows weight to be relocated to the wider tungsten sole that positions the centre of gravity ideally for a higher launch angle and increased MOI. Though not being the nicest looking golf clubs Ping ever made, they are meant to make the game of golf as easy as possible. This extreme toe weigthing optimizes the launch angle and provides for a consitently high yet penetrating trajectory. Besides, they have a dense tungsten sole weight which positions the center of gravity low and away from the face.

PING K15 Irons The V2 has a stainless steel body, titanium face and tungsten sole. This Ping Rapture V2 Irons
sport a rather small D1 swing weight; try not to allow that to trick you. Long and straight is definitely their strong suit, but high cuts, and baby draws are easily factored into the shot equation here too. They will be one of the easiest clubs to hit you could ever try.

Ping G25 Hybrid for sale As a result the Ping Rapture V2 can incorporate stronger lofts to increase distance without sacrificing any control. Each Rapture V2 iron is constructed with a Custom Tuning Port to stabilize the titanium insert face to help ensure a solid feel and consistency. Not only do these irons give great forgiveness, but the effortless distance is rather impressive to. Ping has put a lot into these, and they're not simply a re-hash of the old Rapture Irons by any stretch.

Ping G25 Irons for sale The technology on these Ping Rapture V2 Irons isn't exactly earth shattering anymore. You possess a stainless steel body/cradle that sports extreme perimeter weighting. By contrast, the Rapture has a 25-gram plug in the toe area of the cavity. These are ideal for higher handicappers as they are very easy to hit and the extra weight in the sole can get you out of most bad lies. Almost every shot with these irons all through the set goes dead straight, whether it was a good swing or a bad swing. The irons really are one of the most forgiving and easiest to hit irons you can buy just now.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)