YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wrinkles
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogi1983
Posted 2011-02-18 2:27 PM (#202731)
Subject: Wrinkles

New User

I've completed about 10 bikram yoga classes and have noticed defined lines/wrinkles on my neck that I've never seen before. I also feel like my hands have way more lines/wrinkles and sometimes my fingers prune up and stay that way for a couple days.

My husband thinks I'm crazy but I know those lines weren't there 1 month or so ago. Is this possible? Or am I just starting to freak out because i'm nearing my 30's!

Has this happened to anyone else?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2011-02-21 1:50 PM (#202763 - in reply to #202731)
Subject: RE: Wrinkles

I get really pruny after Bikram, especially if I shower, but I don't notice wrinkles in the other places that you mentioned.

When in locust pose on our bellies, chin out, neck flat, looking up, I notice a lot in my forehead. This happens with all the postures where we start out with our neck flat and are instructed to look up...

Hm, kinda interesting. Maybe you should take pics and document it to see if it is really just coincidental that you are now noticing them..
ajhiggs
Posted 2011-03-20 12:45 PM (#207940 - in reply to #202731)

New User

I have to agree. I do believe Bikram yoga creates wrinkles and the fine wrinkles that have began developing on my forehead confirms this. I have always been conscious of my skin and recently I have noticed on my forehead defined lines that were not present before I began practising Bikram. I thought maybe I was going crazy - however after every class, I could the stress wrinkles that were not present before hand. I also mentioned this issue to my friend whom has been practising for as long as I have (9 months) and the same thing is occurring to her. I could see this and she could see it on me

I thought maybe we were just paranoid, so I began looking at the other participants for evidence. Believe me you can see it! I have also been doing independent research and it makes sense. You are in a room that dehydrates you and what accelerates ageing, lack of hydration.

Unfortunately as much as I love this workout and the transformation it has done to my body, I will no longer be participating as I work in an industry that is based on how young look. I am open to suggestions as I love the challenge of the practice, just not what the heat does to my body
vibes
Posted 2011-03-21 7:09 PM (#207947 - in reply to #202731)
Subject: Re: Wrinkles

Extreme Veteran

I know many people who this has happned to. Bikram yoga is laughable. People are obsessed with workout and sweating with no understanding.
JuiceBoi
Posted 2011-04-11 8:40 PM (#208101 - in reply to #207947)

New User

Yeah, and I have noticed that everyone who does Bikram goes Bald! Just look at Bikram!
Dacite
Posted 2011-04-12 5:36 AM (#208104 - in reply to #208101)

Regular

Yes, I believe the dehydration and the over tension as the class is quite quick and taxing can welcome wrinkles.

Wrinkles form mostly from over tension in particular when muscles are strained for a long time.
One can form anger wrinkles keeping the unsatisfied face all the time. These are mimic wrinkles.

I have gone to Bikram for some 10 times and after-feeling is great, however I do not find this more effective than other types of yoga. So I am sticking to dry yoga with teacher that remind to relax face as the face should not participate in asanas but just witness.
lockdaknee
Posted 2011-04-12 9:37 AM (#208106 - in reply to #202731)

Regular

Bikram doesn't seem to have many wrinkles himself and he has done this yoga all his life. (He's 65.)
lockdaknee
Posted 2011-04-12 10:14 AM (#208107 - in reply to #202731)

Regular

Poster number #202763 - (your id doesn't show up in my browser) - A quick tangent: I learned something cool recently about the dialogue. When we are told to "look up" or "look at the ceiling", it means just with the eyes. The head stays strait, just the eyes roll up. The teacher talked about how most of the class will move their whole head up but really it should just be the eyes. I can remember what postures specifically she was talking abut - but like in Cobra perhaps.
Roy Batty
Posted 2011-04-13 7:52 AM (#208115 - in reply to #202731)

Regular

It's finally happened. This goofy forum has truly "Jumped the Shark."
jpg
Posted 2011-04-13 1:15 PM (#208120 - in reply to #202731)

There are really only two scenarios where Bikram could cause wrinkles:

1. It is severely drying out your skin, in which case a good face cream would help. (very possible)

2. It is stressing your entire body to a level where you stop estrogen production. If you haven't stopped getting your period, don't have shrinking breasts and aren't getting hairier as a result of excessive Bikram practice, then that is probably not the cause. (very unlikely, but still possible)

The most likely scenario goes like this: I have eaten cabbage for the last ten years. I look older than I did ten years ago. Therefore, eating cabbage makes you look older. It is just false causality.

Dacite
Posted 2011-04-15 3:22 PM (#208158 - in reply to #208120)

Regular

Fresh air, facial exercises, water, good sleep and massage will keep skin younger for longer time.
Laughter for sure, too. Laughter makes anybody to look beautiful.

As a fan of natural remedies and beauty care, I cover these topics in my info site if anybody wants to know more on how this works.

I stopped using any creams years ago as the skin cannot be nourish from outside. It saves me lot of money. With aloe, clay, tea tonics I keep radiant skin very inexpensive way+ yoga helps great, too.
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-04-18 1:27 PM (#208172 - in reply to #202731)

I'm curious to know how old are those people who have noticed more wrinkles. Getting older is just a part of life. I agree it shouldn't be accelerated by exercise; but perhaps it's also a matter of mother nature.
StudioLiveTV
Posted 2011-04-18 3:02 PM (#208174 - in reply to #202731)

I'm curious to know how old are those people who have noticed more wrinkles. Getting older is just a part of life. I agree it shouldn't be accelerated by exercise; but perhaps it's also a matter of mother nature.
louise
Posted 2011-08-08 7:49 PM (#209048 - in reply to #202731)

New User

i think it's just part of your aging process since you're already nearing 30s. some notice fine lines at 25 or less. i suggest you use anti-wrinkle creams. one good brand i can recommend is NeuCell.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)