YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram and rolfing
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

jessheek
Posted 2005-04-03 10:26 PM (#21034)
Subject: Bikram and rolfing

Has anyone done the ten session rolfing series in conjunction with bikram? I was told that it's not good to do strenuous yoga while receiving the rolfing treatment... anyone got any opinions on this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2005-04-05 3:04 AM (#21136 - in reply to #21034)
Subject: RE: Bikram and rolfing

Extreme Veteran

My guess is that it would be a great combination. Yoga is aligning your body and rolfing is helping to break down patterns. From the little I know, they probably are working on the
same physical matter and both are working with the directing of energy channels in your body.

I would consult with your rolfer. I'm not sure that Bikram would be considered strenuous from
a rolfing point of view. I mean is kicks my butt, but thats because of the heat.

Please tell us what you find out about this, if you get other opinions.
innerline
Posted 2005-04-05 3:46 PM (#21176 - in reply to #21034)

I am a Bikram teacher and a Rolfer. Some rolfers do not want their clients to do strenuous exercise while getting rolfed because they fear you will bring back the old patterns. They want your core to be fully reoganized before you do. Many of my clients do Bikram's and I tell them to be mindfull of the new relationships as they do the yoga. I clarify their old pattern and make conscious the new patterns they expereince from rolfing. So do you trust yourself to be mindful and not go on automatic when you do Bikram's? My clients are usually in my class, so it works out real well.
tourist
Posted 2005-04-05 7:14 PM (#21209 - in reply to #21034)

Expert Yogi

Jess - I agree with innerline, who probably is the best "expert" we have on this topic. I continued to do Iyengar yoga while undergoing Hellerwork last year but a) never went to class or even practiced more than VERY quiet restoratives after I had a treatment and b) my Hellerworker is also a yogini so we were able to examine what yoga would be best to compliment the work that week. It is fascinating work!
jessheek
Posted 2005-04-06 4:19 AM (#21241 - in reply to #21034)

Thanks for that feedback. I was wondering whether it would be okay if I got advice from a bodyworker on which poses I should and shouldn't do, and perhaps a few private classes to ensure I was doing the postures correctly? I'm really keen to continue with Bikram, even if it means only doing half the series for the time being...

If not, how long do you think I should wait after the rolfing is complete until I recommence classes?
asana
Posted 2005-04-06 8:23 AM (#21252 - in reply to #21034)

WHAT IS ROLFING?
tourist
Posted 2005-04-06 10:12 AM (#21263 - in reply to #21252)

Expert Yogi

>>Rolfing® Structural Integration is named after Dr. Ida P. Rolf. She began her inquiry more than fifty years ago, devoting her energy to creating a holistic system of soft tissue manipulation and movement education that organized the whole body in gravity; she eventually named this system Structural Integration. She discovered that she could achieve remarkable changes in posture and structure by manipulating the body's myofascial system.<< http://www.rolf.org/

>>Hellerwork is a powerful system of somatic education and structural bodywork, based on the inseparability of body, mind, and spirit. Following Ida Rolf’s lineage of Structural Integration bodywork, Joseph Heller incorporated movement education/awareness and body-centered human development processes creating Hellerwork.

Deep tissue bodywork combined with movement education and dialogue of the mind/body connection guides you to new options, both physically and emotionally. Hellerwork encourages you to make the connection between movement and body alignment. Hellerwork restores your body's natural balance from the inside out.<< http://www.hellerwork.com/

Basically, both systems work the fascia of the muscle rather than the muscle itself as is done in massage. It Is VERY deep and challenging work - in my case it was painful and since I am a delicate little blossom, I was bruised for weeks, but very much worth the effort since it has made major positive changes in my body.
asana
Posted 2005-04-06 6:17 PM (#21312 - in reply to #21263)

thanks glenda
tourist
Posted 2005-04-06 6:46 PM (#21320 - in reply to #21312)

Expert Yogi

You are welcome, Jim, both for the info and to the board
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)