YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Im only 13 and have too much stress!!!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Kayla
Posted 2004-05-17 11:43 PM (#6529)
Subject: Im only 13 and have too much stress!!!!

Im 13, and not always but sometimes I feel like everything is on top of me and I cant control it!it feels like the world is crashin down on me....I dont realy want to do yoga any where except in my own room! is there a way I can do that? Help!!!!

Thanx a ton, Kayla
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-05-18 8:37 AM (#6543 - in reply to #6529)
Subject: RE: Im only 13 and have too much stress!!!!

Well Ms Kayla, sorry you have so much stress. Why just yoga in your room? There are so many places with good teachers who can help you learn the "program." Just a stretching in your room a bit ain't gonna do too much I fear.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-18 10:04 AM (#6547 - in reply to #6529)

Well, I happen to think that in your room is an excellent place to start. Are you practicing breathing yoga, Kayla? It's called "Pranayama" (Prana yama).

When you really feel like things are crashing down on you, go into your room, close the door and sit or lie down quietly. Close your eyes or focus on a single point, like a flower outside your window, a picture of someone you like, or simply the end of your nose (That's always in front of you!) Now begin to breath in through your nose very slowly and deeply. Count. In-two-three-four. Pause. Out-two-three-four. Over time, work yourself up to 8 counts. Someday 16, then 24, then 32 counts! This is a calming, stress-relieving exercise.

Then do your favorite yoga stretches, not forgetting your shoulders and neck, which is where we carry a lot of obvious tension. Then do some of the hip exercises, because women carry tension, depression and grief in their hips (the psoas muscle).

Must you practice in your room because your yoga is private to you, or would your parents not approve? You don't have to answer that; I'm just curious.

Welcome to yoga. It's a great tool to have for your peace of mind and sometimes even your sanity during tough, teenage years. You couldn't pay me enough money to go through the stresses of those years again. Getting through adolescence must guarantee that one can handle anything life can throw at you from then on, because in my opinion, it's a miserable time. Hang in there. The good news is that it's over soon and a lot of the stresses you're experiencing just plain go away or become far less intense.

Christine
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-18 10:53 PM (#6585 - in reply to #6529)

Kyla:
Either come out yourself to others, or call some trustworthy friends in your room. Same with Yoga, either go to Yoga Class or bring Yoga Friends in.

Neel Kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
dizzboo
Posted 2004-05-22 7:19 PM (#6689 - in reply to #6529)

I began yoga when I was your age. Throughout the years I have always turned to it to allieviate stress, depression, pms, and back pain. Now I plan to spread yoga's benefits by teaching it.
Find a good teacher. They can help concentrate your mind on the present and focus on what is important. Believe me, stress only gets more as you age, not less. The best time to develope a practice is now. You are mature enough to recognize your need to allieviate your stess; take action!
Good luck!
surf_grl08
Posted 2004-05-23 11:09 PM (#6716 - in reply to #6529)

honey you are only 13 why are you stressing? why dont you enjoy things in your age. try yoga in public its cool and a lot of fun. trust me!
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-24 3:06 PM (#6746 - in reply to #6529)

surf_gurl08, do you not remember being 13?

I do - it was miserable! Pressure from home to bring home good grades, pressure to fit in with girls (who are sooo catty at that age), pressure from teachers to get good grades, pressure to figure out who you are and waht you want to do because you're expected to declare a college major at age 18 (yes it can be changed but lord is that a pain), pressure to do all of this on top of extracurricular activities - and then, and only then, pressure from the various people in your life lamenting for you that you have no time to have fun and be a kid! That was my experience, anyway, give or take a lot of details. I can look back now, at 25, and laugh, but I'm still close enough to remember how it feels.

But take heart, Kayla - it does get better. I promise. It might not always seem like it, but there is a point where it all starts to even out. Yoga can definitely help with that. If you can do it out in public and take a class it can also provide a nice place to meet some nice people with similar goals, which also will help you feel less stressed. You're not alone, at all. but even practicing some simple asanas and pranayama (breathing exercises) in your room can help. Good luck!
ker4earth
Posted 2004-06-01 4:00 PM (#7048 - in reply to #6529)

Dear Kayla,

13 is quite an age. I remember it well. You're finally a teenager, but then it seems like everyone wants you to go in 10 thousand different directions. I'm glad you've already taken an interest in relieving your stress through holistic means. I found that the best thing for me when I was your age (I'm only 17 and I'm talking like I'm 40) was laying on the ground with a barral or a rolled blanket under your upper back just below your arm pits. You can find this pose in the current issue of Yoga For Everybody. Turn on your favorite music and just breathe. And it doesn't really matter what the music is, just as long as it's your absolute favorite and relaxing. Instrumental or nature sounds are vital for meditation, but as far as simply relaxing, any music will do. My favorite was Our Lady Peace at the time. Make sure you practice different kinds of breathing, especially diaphramatic, where your stomach goes out as you breathe in.

Good luck,
Kerry
nubianyogi
Posted 2004-06-16 6:52 PM (#7555 - in reply to #6529)

Kayla I think that it is ok to practice in your room. Take time to get to a place where you are at peace and life starts to become clearer for you. At some point lets try adding a class here and there. Interaction with others will result in positive energy and you might even gain a yogi friend or two.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)