YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whats your way of meditating?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

silentzen_101
Posted 2005-03-01 4:08 PM (#18035)
Subject: whats your way of meditating?

i already meditate and i would like to know how others go about meditating
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redtail
Posted 2005-03-02 8:32 AM (#18079 - in reply to #18035)
Subject: RE: whats your way of meditati

In my sitting practice I usually do these three things:

1) I start with a technique called "Tonglin." I imagine taking all of the suffering, pain, negativity, etc. from a particular being (it is good to start with a friend or relative, then move to neutral person, then work with a person that might be considered an enemy) in the form of dark, thick smoke. Do this on inhalation. Then visualize that you change that negative energy into positive white light that is filled with all of the compassion, love, joy, equanimity, peace, etc. that you have in your heart. You then give this light freely to the person or being you are visualizing upon exhalation.

2) I then move to Samatha. This is the method where one places all of their attention on a particular object. You simply watch your mind do what it will, but always bring it back to the object. The object should be something about eye level and approximately 2 meters away. It can also simply be something that one is visualizing, but it is better, in the beginning to focus on a real object (statues of a buddha or a diety are good).

3) I then practice simply relaxing the mind. One should visualize that the mind is like a glass of water. The thoughts are like mud in the water. The only way to get the dirt out of the water is to let it settle. By stirring it with thoughts, the dirt will remain in the water and make mud.

Sometimes I will do chakra meditation and clearing meditations, but that is usually when I am outside or after certain mantras and/or rituals have been done.

I hope this helps :)

Namaste

Edited by redtail 2005-03-02 8:35 AM
samantha77
Posted 2005-03-03 4:47 PM (#18170 - in reply to #18035)
Subject: RE: whats your way of meditating?

Extreme Veteran

I am fairly new to meditating, and currently I am trying to just focus on my breath. I've worked up to around 20 minutes where I feel like I am actually focusing on the breath, and not beginning to fidget or think about how I can't sit still anymore
Samantha
silentzen_101
Posted 2005-03-04 6:31 PM (#18261 - in reply to #18170)
Subject: RE: whats your way of meditati

yah sitting still is hard it just takestime.
Teo
Posted 2005-03-06 4:00 PM (#18355 - in reply to #18035)
Subject: Om sweet om

Hello and peace,

Breath awareness is probably the best and most quieting of the chatter of the mind.

I do a chakra/music scale balancing I mention in another post.

One of the healingest (is that a word?) is one some of you surely know:

Visualizing a grounding chord from the root chakra to the center of the earth, draining everything you don't need, while visualizing a sun above the head gathering up all of your energies you have left places. Usually some positive phrases and ideas are used to keep the "being" in balance and in-joy-ing.. he he..

I think one reason that there are so many various ways to practice meditation that are taught, is that various people truly need different things! When at peace simple breath calming is great. When needing energizing other techniques are best. When healing or tuning to higher spiritual energies other practices like "light work" or non-local awareness are used. It all makes sense, because we are all starting from different places. You are invited to our "Know Thyself" forum here: Givnology.com/self where we discuss meditations such as this.

Thanks to Yoga.com, the internet, and all who make this kind of communication possible! Hugs and kisses all around!!!

May we be balanced and in harmony. Amen and Awomen.

Love and light being, Teo
redtail
Posted 2005-03-10 6:39 AM (#18650 - in reply to #18170)
Subject: whats your way of meditating?

It seems important to me to help us remember that meditation is really about simply becoming aware of the mind and its capabilities. It is ultimately the way that we exist in a more pure state, without grasping and clinging to "things." There was an article that was featured in the home page last month by Jon Kabat-Zinn that really reminds us of this. Meditation is, in the beginning, all of these different techniques to make us aware of the moment that is now. Once we can have a bit of stability in actually BEING in the now moments as they pass by, then we can work with releasing the grasping to past moments, future moments, and the powerful deluding properties of the ego in the present moment. So, what I am trying to get at is the fact that yes, there are as many techniques for beginning our meditative practices as there are meditators, but we all will eventually, with practice and patience, find ourselves in our selves watching ourselves.

Sometimes the fidgeting and discomfort IS the point of the meditation.

Namaste
Kali1896
Posted 2005-03-11 2:05 PM (#18772 - in reply to #18035)
Subject: RE: whats your way of meditating?

Waoo...
That's complicated, I just think about God and love Him ! Till I feel overwhelmed with it and explode...
Jaya Ma...

But I agree that emptying of any thoughts one's mind is as trying to empty the sea with a bucket... Takes ages...
Teo
Posted 2005-03-11 6:35 PM (#18793 - in reply to #18772)
Subject: in the spaces between thoughts

Kali1896 - 2005-03-11 11:05 AM
But I agree that emptying of any thoughts one's mind is as trying to empty the sea with a bucket... Takes ages...

With a joyful bucket one is so glad for the ages of cleansing the thoughts...

I think the "joy of God" you are speaking of is REVERIE, not meditation. When people say: "I don't meditate, my ______ (insert workouts, music, lovemaking, wine or whatever) is my meditation" it only shows me that they haven't achieved the joy of a completely quiet mind.

There is a way that when there is no thought in the mind, a certain kind of thing (or think) happens that IS TRANSCENDENTAL. Listening to the whispers in the gap between thoughts is something some poets and I have talked about.

When the mind is without the chatter, a different type of awareness is being practiced, well, a higher awareness simply IS.

It is not easy to clear the mind, but just as it isn't easy to clean an attic - especially if you have a lot of gathered goodies that you can't 'let go,' but let me share with you:

Even just the effort to let the mind be totally at peace, which includes allowing thoughts then letting them go, even just that effort is really heavenly. And when your mind is clear enough to be silent, well, if you haven't had that experience, you should indulge yourself, once you have, you will know that "I don't need to meditate" is truly just a lame excuse for ignorance. No insult intended.

(g-FruitOfLifet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments g-FruitOfLifet.jpg (37KB - 316 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)