YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slight cult-y vibe to Bikram
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

grushka
Posted 2005-04-03 8:36 PM (#21023)
Subject: Slight cult-y vibe to Bikram

Hey, my first post.

I've been doing Bikram for a few months now, couple times a week. I've done some Ashtanga before (just and some hatha classes at the gym. I also do poses from "The Yoga Bible" at home. My point is that I am hardly experienced at yoga, but I have seen a few different types.

Anyway, I enjoy Bikram, almost in spite of myself. I say in spite because it does get a little boring to do the exact same routine. And some of the poses are pretty uninteresting, compared to all that's out there.

Also, the little culty things kind of annoy me - actually, they're too transparent to be really anoying, but... like how all the instructors call you by name. Like how they say not to use the towel in certain poses, but to use it in others (come on, it's totally arbitrary). Aso the trendy vibe that pervades the whole thing is kinda silly.

But aside from that, I DO feel great after Bikram, all the way through the next day. Also, while I believed the cardiovascular claims to be wrong - thinking it was simply the heat rasing the heart rate - I found that I can now run 5-6 miles on the treadmill without getting winded. Much more than before.

I just don't get the same feeling after ashtanga.

So, I guess I'll be sticking with the Bikram for a while.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-03 9:02 PM (#21024 - in reply to #21023)
Subject: RE: Slight cult-y vibe to Bikram

Expert Yogi

I don't really follow why you think Bikram yoga is a cult.
Can you explain this further?

JackieCat
Posted 2005-04-03 9:39 PM (#21029 - in reply to #21023)
Subject: RE: Slight cult-y vibe to Bikram

Extreme Veteran

Why is it cult-y if the instructor calls you by name? I thought it was a good thing if an instructor knows and uses your name. Confused by this . . .
grushka
Posted 2005-04-03 9:44 PM (#21031 - in reply to #21024)
Subject: RE: Slight cult-y vibe to Bikr

Just to explain, in my way of speaking, I mean to imply a huge difference between a cult and a "slightly cult-y vibe."

I just mean there are some arbitrary elements to Bikram that are espoused with a measure of certainty that is vaguely reminiscent of some techniques cults use.

But again, I meant it more light-hearted than maybe you took it. Besides, I like Bikram and practice it.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-04 6:19 AM (#21053 - in reply to #21031)

grushka - 2005-04-03 9:44 PM

Also, the little culty things kind of annoy me - actually, they're too transparent to be really anoying, but... like how all the instructors call you by name. Like how they say not to use the towel in certain poses, but to use it in others (come on, it's totally arbitrary). Aso the trendy vibe that pervades the whole thing is kinda silly.

Any concerned and caring teacher will learn the names of students. As for the other stuff, that's not done at my Bikram school. We use the towels as we need to, and there is no trendy vibe. Many of our students (me included) are doing Bikram to recover from injuries or gain benefit to help with chronic problems, or to lose weight, etc. We're pretty serious about improving our health and fitness.
Jeri
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-04-04 7:27 AM (#21054 - in reply to #21053)

Expert Yogi

The use of first names is something I like because it gives you more of
sense that the teacher is teaching the individuals in the room, rather than
running through a spiel.

The hand towel thing is another story. There are some teachers who are total
"no towel" Nazis. I've heard wild stories about schools that revoked students
memberships b/c they refused to do a pose w/o a handtowel. Most teachers
I've encountered aren't that rigid. I think I'm seeing better why you might
feel a culty vibe if you are working with one of the Nazi teachers.

MrD
Posted 2005-04-04 1:53 PM (#21092 - in reply to #21023)

Well Bikram is definitely is charasmatic, but IMO he's too controlversal to be involved in the Mind Control that so often is a part of Cults. As shown on this site, you can still like Bikram Yoga, but not like the man. At least in the beginning classes he emphasises the body and health benefits.

Now for the towel, we use the towel to cover our feet in Rabbit pose. I'm so wet by then that I wouldn't be able to grip my feet well without a towel. I'd slip out of the pose. Do you have other poses where the towel is recommended?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)