YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sciatica
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

dug
Posted 2004-08-29 12:03 PM (#9512)
Subject: sciatica

i posted a couple of months ago. i had very similiar symptoms to discinferno, and i too was freaking out about the sciatica. the sciatica settled down quite a bit, but it flared up about a week ago. had nothing to do with bikram yoga -- probably the random stretching i was doing. anyway, the thing that has pretty much cured it in less than two days has been the Separate Leg Stretching (Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimottanasana) pose. i know you are supposed to do the poses in the prescribed order blah blah blah, but doing this pose when ever i have a chance has made a gigantic difference. the whole releasing the lower back seems to be the trick for me.

dug
Top of the page Bottom of the page
demyfan
Posted 2004-08-29 12:09 PM (#9513 - in reply to #9512)
Subject: RE: sciatica

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try that. I'm terrified about this sciatica and bikram connection. WHat is really confusing is that Bikram claims to HELP sciatica and yet, I keep hearing about people whose sciatica is worsened by Bikram. Do you find the Separate Leg Stretching pose particulary scary or painful because of the sciatica? This is my experience. I have really tight hamstrings. Also, I take it you do this stretch without the heat?
dug
Posted 2004-08-29 12:18 PM (#9514 - in reply to #9513)

i do the stretch without the heat. my hamstrings were very tight. they aren't any more. i to have heard many stories about bikram and sciatica, but i really miss the bikram classes. they were one of the most postive things i had during a very stressful time in my life.

when my sciatica flared up back when i was taking bikram, the instructor told me to use the seperate single leg pose to fix the sciatica. she was right. this is what worked for me. everyone is different.

dug
demyfan
Posted 2004-08-29 12:47 PM (#9515 - in reply to #9514)

Thanks so much for this advice. I am so attached to my bikram practice and have been bumming out at the thought that I might have to give it up. One more question: I have a yoga book called _Yoga Basics_ and it lists as contraindications to sciatica any kind of forward bending poses like janushirasana (Head to knee pose) with paschimotthanasana (stretching pose). Do you find that eliminating or going very, very easy on those poses makes a difference? Somehting to think about...
dug
Posted 2004-08-29 12:56 PM (#9516 - in reply to #9515)

i can't answer that since i pretty much stopped when my sciatica flared up back in may, but i have thought about these poses and i agree it would be a good idea to take it easy on these poses. several people have mentioned that all the forward bending can cause problems if you're predisposed to sciatica.

dug
demyfan
Posted 2004-08-29 1:33 PM (#9517 - in reply to #9516)

Thanks so much, Dug, for your input on this. You planning on going back to Bikram some time soon? If so, I hope it all works out!
dug
Posted 2004-08-29 1:48 PM (#9518 - in reply to #9517)

yeah, maybe soon. i need it just for the stress reduction, and i too hope it works out. good luck to you.

dug
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)